Amalfi Coast in May (Where to Stay?)

Oct 11th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Amalfi Coast in May (Where to Stay?)

Hello!

I have been doing research on these wonderful boards, and it seems as if people have varying opinions about where to stay on the Amalfi Coast.

My fiance and I are spending 6 nights in Venice (we want to really take our time and relax/soak in the atmosphere), and then traveling to the Amalfi Coast (by flying into Naples) for the last leg of our 2 week trip.

We will be on the Amalfi Coast in the last week of May, and currently have a reservation at Hotel Santa Caterina.

Here's my question: I've read (and heard) that the town of Amalfi isn't quite as "charming" as Positano, but unfortunately we couldn't get a reservation at Il San Pietro (which is where we would have loved to stay). I've heard mixed things about Le Sireneuse for that price.

We looked into Palazzo Sasso (gorgeous), but Ravello seems a little too quiet for us.

Do people think staying at Santa Caterina is a good honeymoon spot--with Amalfi as a home base, given that we'll be doing some day trips (to Positano, Ravello, Grotta dello Smeraldo, etc...)?

We were thinking about staying on Capri, but I hear that is REALLY touristy during the day.

Any help would be much appreciated.

As we will be on our honeymoon, we're looking to be somewhere super romantic and relaxing, where we can combine hanging out at the pool/beach AND seeing the beautiful surroundings.

Thank you so much for your help!!
Oct 11th, 2007, 03:23 PM

The Santa Caterina is a very good choice. However, if you want to stay in Positano then there are many other good options. Look at The Poseidon or Miramare for less than the overpriced biggies.
Oct 11th, 2007, 03:30 PM

would suggest stay in ssorrento and all these places are very near- capri. ravello.ama;fi aand positano can take the aliscarfo to napoli also
Oct 11th, 2007, 03:38 PM

I love, love, love Positano, but I think Amalfi is also charming in a different way. You really can't go wrong staying in either town, and they are both good places to stay with easy access to transport to Naples and Capri and other AC towns like Ravello and Sorrento.

True, the views in Amalfi don't have quite the same "wow" factor (we couldn't stop saying "wow" in Positano) but Amalfi seems more like a real town than the resort-y feel of Positano, which feels like it's just a town filled with American tourists. (If you choose Positano, absolutely check out the Poseidon and Miramare. I hope to stay in one of them on my next trip to the AC.)

How many days do you have on the AC? If you have 6 days, you could split up your time between either Amalfi or Positano and Capri. Capri is definitely "touristy" during the day (the whole AC is touristy, though), but that is what would make me want to stay there at night, after all the daytrippers have left. I have only visited Capri as a daytripper but we swore we would come back some day to spend the night b/c it's so gorgeous and I would love to see it when it's not so overrun with tourists. It's truly stunning and a great choice for a honeymoon imho.
Oct 11th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you all so much!

Such great advice.

A lot to think about. Since we have 6 nights (or thereabout), we could do a stay in two different places.

Any ideas as to where to stay in Capri?

Thanks again for all the options/advice you've all given me...
Oct 11th, 2007, 04:14 PM

I would try and squeeze in at least 1-2 nights in Capri. You will have a MUCH better impression of it if you stay overnight and yes,it is certainly romantic!

We stayed at the Casa Morgano, loved it. Very upscale and gorgeous and within a 5-6 minute walk intot he heart of Capri Town.

There are alot of fantastic places to stay in Capri, others here might mention. We liked staying in Capri Town, others prefer the other town Anacapri.

In any event , if you go , stay overnight, you will have a much better experience.
Oct 11th, 2007, 04:38 PM

ItalyTraveler: If I had 6 nights on the AC, I would spend 4 nights in Positano at the Poseidon and 2 nights in Capri at the Villa Le Scale, in the best suite I could afford at both places.

The Hotel Santa Caterina does look gorgeous, too, though, and I'm sure you can't go wrong staying there either. If you do stay there, be sure to have dinner in Positano at least one night in some place very high up with a good view. And have a drink at the poolside bars at both Le Sirenuse and the Poseidon. Talk about super romantic and relaxing, wowza.
Oct 11th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

My fiance thinks that staying at 2 different places on the AC for 6 days is too much traveling -

I sort of disagree, so thanks for all of your suggestions that are proving him wrong!!

I am a little paranoid about putting all my eggs (or euros) in one basket, since Santa Caterina is so expensive -- I appreciate the suggestions!!

Though it does sound like Santa Caterina is getting good feedback, which is terrific.

This is going to be a difficult decision - though I guess it's a no-lose one!!
Oct 11th, 2007, 05:09 PM

But the "traveling" between Positano (or Amalfi) and Capri is one lovely ferry ride, and you'd be taking the same ferry just to visit Capri for the day -- which you will surely do if you're spending 6 days on the AC. It's just a question of whether you bring your suitcase with you on that trip over to Capri to spend the night or not.

I do understand your fiance's point, but the "traveling" on the AC is part of the fun. It's not like shlepping through airports and train stations.
Oct 12th, 2007, 06:19 AM
ira

Hi IT,

>We looked into Palazzo Sasso (gorgeous), but Ravello seems a little too quiet for us.<

I wouldn't discount Ravello so quickly.

If you can afford the PS, you can certainly walk down from Ravello to Amalfi and take a cab back up, or even cab it both ways.

Oct 12th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

cheryllj-

i hear you. i think i'll speak with him about splitting up our time between Amalfi and Capri.

Do people think late May is going to be super touristy? I know the summer months are supposed to be particularly bad, but I wasn't sure about May.

Also, does anyone know whether Hotel Santa Caterina typically has a lot of kids?

I'm trying to avoid places that have a large contingent of families (want more of honeymoon/couples vibe)-- wondering if anyone had thoughts about that. I guess it's unavoidable wherever you go....
I'm trying to
Oct 12th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Ira -

thanks. i hear ps is gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. it's something to think about, for sure. i'll keep ravello in mind -

based on my previous message re: kids, do you think one place is better than another in terms of a honeymoon location?