Rome Plan: What am I missing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the plan of action so far for the Rome portion of our trip. What am I missing? Does any of what I have not make sense, like I'm traveling to opposite ends on one day, etc? Any insight is always helpful!

day 1 Wed. April 28 arrive in Rome (7:40am)?Pope, Papal Audience
day 2 Thurs. April 29 Rome Col, Forum, Pantheon
day 3 Fri. April 30 Rome?Pompeii Day trip
day 4 Sat. May 1 Rome Vatican, Trevi, Spanish Steps
day 5 Sun. May 2 Porta Portese flea market, Catacombs

TIA,
Allison
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 11:47 AM
yk

adogaer-

Vatican Museum is closed on May 1 & 2.
The Catacombs of San Sebastian is closed on Sundays (I think).
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

It seems I posted too soon... The Vatican is closed on May 1 for the holiday. So we may switch day 2 and day 4 around. Or would you suggest another type of switch?

~Allison
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 12:01 PM

Instead of your last day at the Flea market and Catacombs, what about adding Villa Borghese visit instead and experience walking around the Piazza Popolo and the streets surrounding that, a long lunch at one of the wonderful restaurants on or around Piazza Popolo (Dal Bolognase)Exploring other Rome neighborhoods such as Trastevere, Jewish Ghetto, etc. Time at Piazza Navona and surrounding streets is so enjoyable.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 12:07 PM
yk

Allison-

I am not sure if you will make it to Papal audience on time. What are you planning to do for the rest of Day 1?

If you switch Days 2 & 4, do you know for sure that Colosseum, Forum & Pantheon are open on May 1?

Whatever you decide, don't forget to have lots of gelati when you are there!
Have a good trip!
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 12:13 PM

Yes, the Gelato is a must, San Crispino or Gioletti were outrageous. Allow plenty of time to stroll, and eat Gelato.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 12:19 PM

You haven't mentiond Piazza Navonna - the Via Veneto or just exploring Rome on foot - one of its chief joys.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 12:20 PM

Adogaer, I agree with YK that you will MAY not make the Papal audience as it usually begins at 10:30AM. By the way, do you have your tickets yet? I hope you get lucky with your luggage upon arriving in Rome. Is there any chance of arriving a day earlier? Good Luck, Mike P.S. I have the good fortune of having tickets to all the Pope's events during Holy Week in April.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the quick responses.

Mike and others: We are staying at Hotel Smeraldo in the Piazza Navona area so I imagine we'll see lots of it. We didn't want to do too much on our first day there and see the Pope is not a necissity but a nice addition if we make it. Our tickets are purchased so we can't change our dates.

yk: A friend that lives in Rome says that most sites will be open on May Day. It's kind of like Memorial Day in the States, banks, government buildings, etc. is what she says. There is also a huge music festival that we'll probably check out. So to answer that question, no, I'm not 100% sure that they are open on May 1 but am looking into it.

Trendgirl: we plan on doing lots of walking and exploring when we're not at the sites. We are quick travelers so should have plenty of time. I'll check into Villa Borghese, I'm not even sure what's there. I don't think we'll spend a lot of time at the flea market but I just want to check it out for curiosity sake.

nyt: I just listed the major sites we'd like to see and what days we'd like to see them. The rest of the time will be filled with strolling around and eating gelato! (I'm pregnant so I'll be eating lots! )

Thank again! I'll take more suggestions if anyone has them.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 01:02 PM
yk

Allison-

The Borghese Gallery is a great art museum. Unfortunately I did not have enough time to visit last time I was in Rome, but will definitely go there next time. If you type Borghese Gallery in the search box above you'll find more info from other posters. You have to make reservations ahead of time. Here is their website:

http://www.galleriaborghese.it/borghese/en/edefault.htm
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

ttt

anyone else?
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 12:03 PM

Have you thought about visiting Santa Maria della Concezione, Via Veneto 27, a crypt with the dismembered skeletons of 4,000 Capuchin monks? The rosette flowers made out of fingers was gruesomely beautiful.

Or, Santa Maria in Cosmedin and the Bocca della Verita (Mouth of Truth).

Or, San Pietro in Vincoli (St. Peter in Chains) where you can view Michelangelo's Moses and St. Peter's chains.

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 09:10 AM

I would do Colosseum and Forum during the day then Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain at night on the same day.

Then the day you do the Vatican you can go to The Pantheon, Piazza Navona and past Castel Sant' Angelo on your way there.

I would definitely give Porta Portese a miss. It is horrible. It is about a mile long and once you are in you have to keep walking. There are lepers everywhere and there is no way in the world I would have even considered taking my money out to buy anything as it is full of thieves. We witnessed three groups of people who had all been pickpocketed.

HTH

Clare
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 09:52 AM

Lepers?????? In Rome??????

Glad I decided to have a long wonderful lunch & Italian wine instead, and then shop until I dropped on the Condotti!
Don't think the flea market will be on my schedule on future Rome trips.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 10:16 AM
dassi

I agree that Villa Borghese is a must as well as Via Veneto and Piazza Navona. Also, a trip to the catacombs is a wonderful half day trip.

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:24 AM

Lepers? They had signs round their necks saying they are lepers and they sure had other physical deformities that indicated they were lepers.

adogaer
I am pregnant too (five months) and was in Rome last week. Seriously reconsider Porta Portese as it is very crowded and there was no way I would go there pregnant. Also take care of ice cream and check it has no raw eggs as it is all home made and they may not use pasteurised products.

Clare
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Clare,
Thanks for the info. Maybe we will pass. Haven't really heard any first hand experiences about it. Also, thanks for the gelato tip. I'll be sure to ask about eggs.
~Allison
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:52 AM

Allison

Maybe see if anybody else gives an opinion on Porta Portese, I would just hate for you to go and feel scared or threatened - I know my emotions are heightened with my hormones!!

As for eating, also avoid carbonara as it is very runny egg. I avoided all gelato which was very upsetting! It all looks so delicious.

The area around Piazza Navona is an excellent place to stay. Lots of nice reasonably priced restaurants all around and you can easily walk to trevi fountain or spanish steps in the evening.

Enjoy!

Clare
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 12:02 PM

Why not combine some of your events to make the most of your day/time? For instance, since you will see the Pope on Weds April 28, why not go to the Vatican right afterwards? You will be right there. No sense making a return trip to the area. The Pantheon/Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps can all be seen in an afternoon and are all in the same general walking area. You could designate one day to seeing all the ancient Roman monuments (Roman forii), then another day to see the Pantheon, Trevi, Spanish Steps, all located north of Corso Vittorio Emanuele Blvd.

The train down to Naples/Pompeii is 2+ hours and Pompeii is quite extensive to see. I would almost recommend spending a day/night down there to give you enough travel and site-seeing time. Otherwise, it might be quite an exhaustive and late night return for you both. I have never been to the Porta Portese market, other posters can assist you on that one. The catacombs take either a morning or afternoon to see. I would add a stop to Trastevere to your list -- perhaps on your market/catacomb day? It is a very unique section of Rome full of locals and delicious trattorie to eat lunch or dinner at!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Huitres for the suggestions. We would try the Vatican on arrival day but don't want to try to do too much. We have a long travel day before so just want to take it easy that first day exploring the area around our hotel. We want to give the Vatican and St. Peters the attention it deserves. I guess depending what time we actually get into the city depends on if we catch the Pope or not. If we miss it, no big deal. We may even do Trevi, Spanish Steps, Pantheon that first day if we have the energy. I'm just trying to take things easy this trip and not go go go as my energy will be limited with the pregnancy.

Clare- thanks for the carbonara tip...I'll pass on that.

~Allison