Notices

Rome Itinerary Planning ? for experts

Old Jun 10th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Itinerary Planning ? for experts

I will be arriving in Roma two weeks from today! I have both Rick Steves book and Insight Rome books and am getting kind of overwhelmed with how much I want to see. It will just be 2 of us - me in my mid-40's and my 16 yo daughter. She is an art student so I am really hoping she appreciates this opportunity.

We arrive on Thursday at 10:25 am and are renting an apartment north of Vatican Museums. I am thinking of possibly booking the Borghese Gallery for the 5 pm tour. Is that reasonable? I realize if there is some major delay in our flight or ride into the city that I am out that money, but if there is no major delay, is it reasonable to expect to have time to get through customs, check-in apartment, eat lunch, perhaps rest and then transport to BG by 4:30?

After BG we will stroll back stopping for dinner and/or gelato and get to bed fairly early (I am sure we will be tired) or if we're really exhausted take metro back to our neighborhood.

Friday I am hoping to get an early start, take metro to the San Giovanni stop and see San Giovanni, Holy Stairs and San Pietro in Vincoli then go to Colosseum, Forum and Palatine Hill. I plan to buy Roma Pass, probably on line ahead of time but perhaps the day we arrive. We will take some downtime in the afternoon and then I am going to buy the Vatican Museum Night at Museum passes (7 - 11 pm)

Does this sound like a doable itinerary so far? Is it good to plan this much or better to get an idea of what you want to see and then go day by day?

Also how safe is Metro for 2 women alone? Am I safer taking a cab in the evening?

Thanks for any input.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 06:37 AM

Do you only have a day and a half in Rome? Thursday after arrival and all day Friday? I would want to know the answer to that before commenting on your plan.

I've only been on the Metro with my husband, but IMO it's safe if you use the same precautions you would in any big city.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 06:57 AM

You should use your Roma Pass for the Borghese and Colosseum/Palantine/Forum (counts as one entrance and can be revisited during the three days). They are the most expensive sites of the places the pass covers (10.50 and 12€). You still must make a reservation for the Borghese by calling and telling them you will use the pass. Of course, that would activate your pass on Thursday instead of Friday. I would either have my pass valid Thurs/Fri/Sat or Fri/Sat/Sun as many things on the pass are not open on Monday.

I use the metro/buses/trams in Rome traveling alone. You just need to secure your backpacks/purse from pickpockets, try not to stand near doors (they target someone near a door, grab their wallet, etc. and jump off).
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 06:59 AM

Rome is very safe, day or night. Just do things you would normally do in any city, like keep your purse and camera close to you.

If you want, you can go to my website and go to the Library sub-menu area. There you will find tons of free guides, brochures and maps. You can download my own guidebook at no cost. You'll also find bus maps and our favorite bus routes.

www.passagetoroma.com

If you'd like to get a visual idea on things you can do, I have uploaded the draft versions of the first two tours on Vimeo (it is free too). The below link takes you to the Vimeo page that links to the videos...

http://www.vimeo.com/12344746

As to the Roma Pass. You can purchase it at any tourist information spot and many of its museums.

dave
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 07:07 AM

"San Pietro in Vincoli"

Good choice! Be sure to read the history of this place before visiting. Rather remarkable.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

We are actually in Rome through Wed June 30. We have some other things booked all ready: planning to go to Florence for day trip on Saturday so I will only use the Roma Pass 2 days except for the transportation on Saturday to get to Termini. My oldest daughter and her choir arrive in Rome on Sunday and are singing at 4 pm Mass in St. Peter's, so coming back from Florence and going to St. Peter's will take most of Sunday.

They also sing on Tuesday morning for Papal Mass at Feast Day of St. Peter and Paul which my other daughter and I have tickets for. Then we have tickets for Scavi tour on Wednesday afternoon and another choir performance Wednesday nigth.

Monday is an entirely free day for us but I have to work around these other things. There are definitely more things I plan to see. I am debating between seeing the Capotiline Museums and/or National Museum of Rome. Definitely will go to Piazza Navone area and see the Pantheon. Must see Trevi Fountain and some of the wonderful fountains such as Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi. Also want to see other historic churches including St. Maria sopra MInerva and Sant' Agnese in Agone. Yes an ambitous itinerary which is why I am wondering if I should make detailed plans based on where things are located in the city so as minimize criss crossing. And obviously some of the things won't take long and can be enjoyed coming and going to other sites such as the oblesiks and fountains.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 08:30 AM

Then I don't see any benefit for you buying a Roma Pass since it has to be used consecutively. You are probably better off just buying a 7 day transportation pass.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 08:25 AM

I think it is ambitious to book something the day of arrival, 4:30 pm. I decided to leave it open and am so glad.... I am also traveling with a newbie teen, my 13 yo son. He could not sleep at all on the very long flight from california and had to rest upon arrival to the hotel and is still sleeping at 6:30 pm. Due to this concern, I had booked our vatican tickets for 1 pm the day after arrival day.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 09:01 AM

I'm also concerned that if your daughter is an art student she might not have enough rest to appreciate the art. Why not make your arrival day about seeing the fountains and the Pantheon (I recommend seeing the Trevi fountain at night, however).

Also, is your daughter picking some of these art destinations?

I recommend seeing the Trevi Fountain at night.

For me, Bernini's Ecstasy of St. Teresa in the church of Santa Maria della Vittoria would be on the list. But I'm more of fan of Bernini than Michaelangelo

http://www.boglewood.com/cornaro/xteresa.html