questions about 4 day itinerary in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I will be in Rome April 30 to May 4th. I'm wondering if this loose itinerary has enough planned and extra time will be well-spent wandering and enjoying meals, gelatto, etc. or if I should add more.
I'm hoping to mainly walk but we'll be getting Roma Passes so if we need to get more quickly from place to place we can use buses/metro or taxis.

Day 1, Thurs.: arrive FCO 8:30 am - check in at B&B in Trastevere.

Walking tour (self-guided) around Trastevere. Lunch.

Head across river - maybe time for Pantheon, check out view from Vittorio Emanuele Monument.

Meet tour group Icon at VE Monument at 3:30 for walking tour of Forum, Colosseum.

no plans yet for dinner or evening

Day 2, Fri: this will by May 1st, a holiday when mostly everything will be closed (I'm told) so I'm just planning a walking tour of central Rome: Piazza Navona, Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza del Popolo, etc. Stopping along the way wherever for meals, drinks.

Day 3: 9:15 am walking tour booked for Vatican (3 hrs). Am assuming this is not enough time and we'll want to stay past the 3 hrs by ourselves. Then have lunch in area of Vatican.

Plan to go to Castel Sant Angelo afterward (can anyone tell me if tickets need to be purchased in advance; I know they can be but would we be okay to just walk up and get them?)

No plans for late afternoon/dinner.

Day 4, Sun: Will reserve tix for Borghese Gallery for the morning.

Afterward make our way to Santa Maria della Concezione to see the Capuchin Crypt.

Afternoon/evening/dinner free to wander.

Day 5, Mon: 9:15 Scavi tour tix. We will be leaving our B&B at 11:30a.m.

So I've got a lot of open space in our itinerary. I want to have the freedom to wander and not feel rushed from one thing to the next - but if you think I have other major things I should try to fit in please let me know (Capitoline museum?).
I feel like 4 days is not enough time to see a lot so I'm trying to be realistic and not overschedule. But I also don't want to wander aimlessly when there are other must-sees that could easily fit in.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old Jan 15th, 2009, 05:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The Roma Pass is good for three consecutive days and would include the Borghese (you must have reservations and can't book online with the pass), Capitoline Museum, Castel S'Angelo. Your first two admissions are free and you get discounts after that. All three are closed Mondays so you will want to adjust your plans if you were planning the Capitoline on Monday. Since most things will be closed on Friday, May 1 and also Mondays, you will only get two days admissions from your Roma Pass (Saturday and Sunday).

If you have to be out of your B&B by 11:30, you are cutting it close with the Scavi tour which may not end until 10:45 depending on your guide, etc.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 05:57 AM
AZS

How do you get a Roma pass? I am heading to Rome in May with my wife for 3-4 days - do you suggest we get this Roma pass as well?
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 06:11 AM

The Roma Pass is 23€ and as stated gets you free admission to the first two sites you visit (I suggest Borghese since admission is 9.5€ and the Colosseum admission is 11€ including Palantine Hill and special exhibits), discounts at the other sites after your free uses (does not include Vatican) and 3 days use of the metro/trams/busses and local trains. You can buy it at the airport. After exiting the baggage claim go to your right. Walk down the hallway past all the shops and when you are running out of shops there will be a counter on the left which is Commune di Roma. It is not good for the trains from the airport into Rome.
http://www.romapass.it/?l=en
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 06:17 AM

Last summer we used our Roma passes for the Coliseum/Forum too- Got them at the Forum entrance; 1 ticket covers both entries. Unless Icon has changed its policy, you have to pay the admission fees yourself at entry, and the guide, if is is Sarah, can help you. Email them and let them know you will use a Roma Pass- they can give you instructions. For Borghese, reserve your time in advance, then pay at the door with the pass. I think you can also use it for Castel San Angelo. 3rd entry gets a discount. Also, the transportation passes are separate from the entry passes, and run on a 24 clock, from the time of your validation, where the entry passes are for 3 calendar days. If you can, I would try to reschedule things so you use the pass for Borghese and Coliseum/Forum, with discount on Castel San Angelo.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 06:53 AM

The transportation pass is not really on a 24 hour clock. It's 3 days expiring at midnight of the third day. From the Roma Pass website:
It expires at midnight of the third day, from the first day of validation inclusive.

Old Jan 15th, 2009, 07:15 AM

Your b&b will hold your bags for you so you can check out before the tour.

My biggest concern about your first day agenda that ends with you taking a tour of the Forum and Colosseo. I couldn't do it after an overnight flight-- and I especially wouldn't want to do it if it was raining that day. I'd be worried that's too much a body can handle.

I'd move that to later in your trip and just wander your first day, as you please.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I've read up here on the Roma pass & it sounds like a great deal.

I know the first day sounds like we'll need a lot of energy but with the holiday on friday i'm worried about being able to fit things in with our remaining couple days. If we're totally beat after the flight maybe a nap at the B&B then the tour of the Forum, etc.

I'll make our final day pick-up at the hotel a bit later than 11:30 -- if the Scavi tour ends at 10:45 (supposedly) that might be tight for getting back to Trastevere and meeting the driver.

Thanks for advice & any more is welcome!
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM

Hi Leslie,

I think your plan sounds quite good. My only suggestions would be to save the Pantheon for your piazza and fountain strolling day, it's more on the way, as long as it's open that day. I kind of have the impression that the Pantheon is one of the sites that is open on holidays. I don't think you will actually have time for it your first day.

Also, spend just a little time strolling the Borghese park before heading to the crypts. It's a lovely slice of Italian life on a Sunday!

Buon viaggio!
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 12:52 PM

Keep in mind that the Capuchin Crypt is closed from noon-3:00 pm.

I also don't think it's a good idea to have that tour of the Colosseum and Forum at the end of your first day, especially after you will already have done a lot of walking. And I don't necessarily think it's a good idea to take a nap. Better to try to stay up and get on Rome time.

After the Capuchin Crypt, Santa Maria della Vittorio isn't far (to see Bernini's Ecstasy of St. Theresa). However, it's also closed in the afternoon, from noon-4:30, so I'm not sure you would be in the area when it's open (which is 'til 7:00 pm).
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 03:56 PM

Looks like you have a good plan, however the walking portion of the 1st day may be a little much. You may want to include a taxi or a bus from the Patheon to VE monumment and either a taxi or bus from the colosseum back to your B+B. These are not short walks and the cobble stone/uneven pavement makes it even longer and tiring, especially for someone not used to uneven pavement. Otherwise, if you allow sufficient time for you last days departure schedule, you have a good plan. While you are taking time to set in the piazza having a gelato or, dinner in Trastevere, look across at the next table and you if you see two other Amerian tourists enjoying themselves, it will be my wife and I having a great time as well. Have a great vacation....
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

More food for thought. Thanks guys!
If we don't do the Pantheon the first day & it's closed for the holiday we'll just make it a priority for Sunday or Monday. (yes, just checked, the guide book I have says closed May 1).
But possibly can fit it in the 1st day if we don't try to walk everywhere.
Since I already have the walking tour of the Forum & Colosseum booked for our first afternoon I hesitate to change that - I think we will just tough that out.

Enjoy your trip, LBev!