Search

Rome in July?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Carl

Rome in July?

I have the week of July 21 off. I would love to go to Rome but fear it will be a zoo and stifling hot. Should I just go anyway or wait for a year when I can go in a better month?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:29 PM
Doris

100% right. Rome in July is a zoo filled with tourists, very hot and humid. My advise is go anyway because who knows what destiny has in store for us in a year... enjoy

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Betsy

I have been to Rome twice, both times in Summer. The first time it was in the low 100's and the other it was a very pleasant mid 80's. The last time was during Jubilee year and yeah, it was a busy time but no more than other capitols. It is a beautiful city. I'd go for sure, but I'd get a room with a/c.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:39 PM
Charles

Italy in June is hot already. By July it will be much hotter. And it's high season for tourists-everyone's taking their vacation at the same time and being in the same place. But we went in June and it's tolerable.<BR><BR>But like Doris says if that's the only time you can go, just go. You will not regret it. Rome is a beautiful city. Have a great time and enjoy not only the sights but also the excellent food and shopping.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Frank

Carl: Go someplace cooler, Ireland, Scandanavia, Alaska, you get the picture. You will enjoy Rome soooo much more in the Spring or Fall.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:56 AM
tillie

The hustle and bustle of Rome is so full of energy, and the loads of tourists only add to the people watching. It is an event, you'll meet people, probably while standing on line to get into a tourist sight...but it's fun, exciting and NOT TO BE MISSED!!! Evenings are excellent, don't miss the Spanish steps!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Steve

Hello Carl,<BR><BR>There's so much going on in Rome with the Estate Romana events, Caracalla etc. it's a great time to be there, - but only if you don't mind temps 30C+<BR><BR>Steve

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Paule

If this is the only time you have, then definitely do it; if you can go to a cooler climate now and go to Rome at a better time of year, then hold off and wait. It all depends upon how important it is to see ROME now or later, vs. the possibility of some heat. <BR><BR>I postponed a trip to Italy because everyone told me it would be too uncomfortable during the summer, which is the only time I have to travel. Finally, my husband and I went in July a few years ago, and though it was certainly warm, even hot at times, it was rarely unbearable. We live in NYC and summer here is far worse than anything I experienced there! We were in Rome in mid-July 1999, and I never found the crowds that unmanageable (Florence and Venice felt far more dense with tourists, I guess because they're so much smaller). And I'm used to travelling at high season, so I've learned to live with the crowds... <BR><BR>Anyway, my point is that it depends upon how important the particular place is vs. the downside of high season and high temperatures; if you have more options for a better time of year and a good chance that you'll get there soon, then wait; if not, go now! If you'll regret missing it this summer, go and enjoy!