Hotel Dona Maria, Seville

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:57 AM
AA

Hotel Dona Maria, Seville

Any opinion on Hotel Dona Maria in Sevelle will be welcome.
AA

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:58 AM
AA

Seville, not Sevelle.
Apologies,
AA

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Julie

We found it a bit dreary and tired, especially in comparison to Los Seises where we had stayed previously in the same off-the-cathedral area.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 09:22 AM

TTT

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Joanne

AA: We stayed there a few years ago and liked it very much. I don't know about "dreary and tired," as our room was large, nicely furnished and had a great bathroom. View was nil--a brick wall. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was adequate and in a decent room.

Location was wonderful--few steps from Cathedral and near Alcazar. Easy walk to many restaurants and a Tablao to see Flamenco. Los Sieses is highly recommended on this forum. We have not stayed there so cannot compare.

We would stay at Dona Maria again without hesitation.

j

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:44 PM
AA

Thanks you!
Now that we have one pro and one con,
any more opinions?
AA

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:59 PM
A ndre

AA,

Stayed at Los Seises about 6 years ago - it had opened quite recently (perhaps a year or 2 before). Can't say I was enchanted by the service, which was pretty disorganized. It left me the feeling of a place which didn't live up to its potential - beautifully restored building in a great location, but cheap furnishings, so-so plumbing and the staff problems I mentioned. Also, I recall a post on this board not so long ago from a person whose reservation was simply cancelled by the hotel a few weeks prior to his/her arrival! Do a search.

The Dona Maria was right nearby and looked very nice from the outside (but then so did Los Seises...)

There's lots of positive feedback on this board about a newer place called Las Casas de la Juderia. Again, do a search.

Either way, I'm sure you'll love Seville - I know I did!

Andre

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Graziella

Hi, we stayed in the Dona Maria three years ago, we had a superior room
I also found it a little worn out, and overpriced. Location was great but next time in Sevilla I 'll try to go to another place...also I didn t care for its breakfast....

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Maribel

AA,
Here's one more opinion.

I agree with Julie and Graziella; to me (and of course every opinion is highly subjective), the Dona Maria looked tired and seemed to be resting on its laurels. Old Spain. I though it needed a face lift. It wouldn't be my first choice.

The Casas y Palacios group has very nice properties; I've toured Casas de la Juderia (a Forum favorite in Santa Cruz), Casas de los Mercaderes (outside the Barrio but very near the Cathedral), and the third no longer belonging to the group (isn't that right, Olga?), the Casas del Rey de Baeza (tucked in the northeast corner of the Barrio).

For luxury, there's the Casa Imperial, in the Barrio Santa Cruz (although I've read 1 dissenting opinion here on C.I.-my friends loved it!)
I've sent friends to the four "Casas" mentioned above, and I haven't heard any negative feedback. They're all Karen Brown favorites, as are Los Seises and the Taberna del Alabardero.
www.karenbrown.com

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:44 PM
AA

I have no words to express my gratitude to all of you for taking the time and telling about your experience with the place. And especially, you Maribel. You are always so helpful about everything connected to Spain. I will follow your advice. By the way, can you recommend accomodations in Cordoba?
Thank you, all!
AA

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:30 AM
jules

Just to say that I stayed at DMaria last June, and was, on the whole, disappointed. The roof terrace pool was empty and under repair -- though view from roof was lovely I must admit. Our room wasn't one of the plush rooms you see on their website (surprise!) -- so if you don't pay top dollar you get an adequate room verging on bland. The best thing it has going for it is the location, but really, Los Seises has that too (and a roof top pool), and the Casas Juderia is in a great area too. Sooo, don't go to DMaria is my advice. Have a great trip!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 08:42 AM
maria

Author: AA ([email protected])
Date: 06/11/2002, 07:57 am
Any opinion on Hotel Dona Maria in Sevelle will be welcome.
AA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 06/11/2002, 07:58 am
Apologies,
AA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Julie ([email protected])
Date: 06/11/2002, 10:14 am
Message: We found it a bit dreary and tired, especially in comparison to Los Seises where we had stayed previously in the same off-the-cathedral area.

Author: TOP ([email protected])
Date: 06/11/2002, 12:22 pm

Author: Joanne ([email protected])
Date: 06/11/2002, 12:24 pm
Message: AA: We stayed there a few years ago and liked it very much. I don't know about "dreary and tired," as our room was large, nicely furnished and had a great bathroom. View was nil--a brick wall. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was adequate and in a decent room.

Location was wonderful--few steps from Cathedral and near Alcazar. Easy walk to many restaurants and a Tablao to see Flamenco. Los Sieses is highly recommended on this forum. We have not stayed there so cannot compare.

We would stay at Dona Maria again without hesitation.

j

Date: 06/11/2002, 03:44 pm
Now that we have one pro and one con,
any more opinions?
AA

Author: A ndre ([email protected])
Date: 06/11/2002, 03:59 pm

Stayed at Los Seises about 6 years ago - it had opened quite recently (perhaps a year or 2 before). Can't say I was enchanted by the service, which was pretty disorganized. It left me the feeling of a place which didn't live up to its potential - beautifully restored building in a great location, but cheap furnishings, so-so plumbing and the staff problems I mentioned. Also, I recall a post on this board not so long ago from a person whose reservation was simply cancelled by the hotel a few weeks prior to his/her arrival! Do a search.

That person was me and yes, we were unceremoneously dumped by the hotel Los Seises, probably in favor of a group that paid them more. They never gave us an explanation or an offer to book us in a different hotel. To me that was very unprofessional and doesn't bode well for the hotel. We are now going to stay at the Taberna del Alabardero.