Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Am I crazy to go with a/c in Rome in July?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Ralph

The B and B we are considering in July (quieter street, near Pantheon: Pantheon View B and B) has an electric fan, but no a/c? There is a balcony where we could open the windows...
What are everyone's thoughts on this? We are trying to decide on our choices today with any luck...
cheers,
Ralph

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Ralph

okay..the thought of no a/c is already getting to me..of course my title should be am I crazy to go withOUT a/c! Sorry all.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Dilermando

July is hot in Europe. I would not risk staying in a place without air-conditioning.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:48 AM
fred

you will need A/C....

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Eye Spy

A quiet street by the Pantheon in the summer does not exist. Romans go out in the evening, there are Vespa everywhere. It's a lively neighborhood. I would change locations because if you don't have A/C and the night heat doesn't get you, the noise surely will. I am being quite serious here.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:05 AM
ellie

If you decide to book at at place with a/c, be sure to confirm that they leave it on all night.This topic has been discussed at length here in the past and, having stayed at a very pricey hotel (the Quirnale in mid-July 10 years ago) where the a/c was shut off for most of the night (because it's "bad for the bones"), I can vouch for the intense heat and earsplitting racket one hears all night in much of Rome.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:13 AM
xxxx

Ellie: Their telling you the A/C is 'bad for the bones' is nonsense. It costs too much in Western Europe for people and a lot of hotels to run the A/C continuously and they have to make up excuses like the one you were told -- and you were a hotel guest! Kind of like my family back in Holland. They all brag about having central heat just like "the Americans" but they never leave it on (except for one hour in the morning in winter!). Why? Because 1) it's too costly for them and 2) they're too cheap and can't afford it after all their taxes. Go figure!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Babs

I was in Rome July 2001 and it was brutal. You will need A/C, if you can afford it pay the few extra dollars it's worth it. After a day in the heat sightseeing you will look forward to your cool hotel room to relax.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Ralph

Wow..it really is that bad eh?
Too bad. I guess I know now why the B and B seems to be such a good deal.
Ah well!
cheers all,
Ralph.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:56 PM
silvana

do they have fans or anything?
ceiling fans, or table fans, or whatever?
is there such a thing as a portable one?

i lived most of my life in cairo, egypt, which is certainly hotter than rome in the summer.

we never had a/c, just left the windows open for airflow and had fans.
however, i bet it gets cooler at night in cairo than it does in rome.. what with it being a desert country and all.

it's an experience... it makes your appreciation of showers increase tenfold.
you should try it!
what a summer it will be!!

oh i am sorry i now read closer and see you mentioned the fan. my mistake.

go for it!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 02:13 PM
jill

We cancelled an apartment in Florence when we found out that there was no a/c. It was a ground floor flat, with small fans! No thank you!!!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Book Chick

During the year I lived in Florence, it stayed pretty cool until mid-May. After mid-May, until my departure in July, I thought I'd entered an oven in hell from which I would never return! I would never in a million years return to any area in Tuscany or further south without the benefit of air-conditioning. If God had intended me to melt, he'd have let Salvador Dali put me into one of his painings!

BC

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:41 AM
Steve James

BC - LOL!!

P.S. BV!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:53 AM
ann

Rome July 2002. If our hotel had not had AC I would have killed myself or someone else. And by the way, I do not have AC at home, and did not have it or need it in Paris. Rome is HOT and NOISY.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:01 AM
elaine

I was last there in the first week of October and boy was I glad for the a/c when I trudged home at the end of the day. Our daytime temps were about 78-80F, but it was still balmy at night. My hotel, the Santa Chiara, had a/c in early Oct, and at night.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:11 AM
xxx

Rome in June is sweltering already-imagine July, it's even hotter! Get another place that has a/c!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Yvette B.

I wouldn't go near Italy in the summer if you flew me there first class! You will want to cut your wrists after spending 1 night in an Italian hotel with no airconditiong. Also, even if you get a hotel with AC, you still have to go out into the sweltering heat and dine in sweaty, hot restaurants with no AC or get on sweaty, hot transportation with no AC, are you getting my point. You will spend your entire vacation sweating, your sunglasses will slide down your face, and you will be miserable, I'd bet the farm on it. My husband and I went to Italy for the first time in late march, early may and it was already a sweat bath, let alone in July. We go there every year, and now we purposely book our trips during the months of January and February for that very reason, also there is less tourism and you can enjoy sweating or fighting the crowds.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Amanda

My family and I stayed at the Pantheon View B and B two years ago. My advise: Don't Do It! The woman who owns the apartment is a shrew! She yelled at us about everything! We still talk about our terrible experience at that B&B. Check out the Residenza Cellini - near the same area, a tad more expensive, and it has A/C.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Amanda

Sorry - I gave the wrong residenza. I meant to type Residenza Zanardelli. Or try Hotel Navona. Both are very near the 'action' and have A/C.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Ralph

Okay everyone..heard you loud and clear. Thanks for all the great advice. We decided that a/c was a necessity and have booked in at the Locarno...but if anyone wants to go without a/c, the Pantheon View will offer a room at 110 euro/night in July!!..I guess I know why.
Loved all your responses..the Dali reference was our favourite.
cheers,
Ralph