Rome in August/Cesari

Search

Rome in August/Cesari

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome in August/Cesari

I'll be spending four days in Rome the end of August and I'm told it's likely to be sweltering. This is my first trip and I want to wander and see lots of sites. I have a feeling that the Forum, Pantheon, and Colesseum aren't air conditioned (LOL)! Any suggestions for ways to keep cool?

Also . . . I'll be staying at the Cesari (thanks to the reviews I read here and at TripAdvisor). Is there a special room or section of the hotel that I would be wise to request? Thanks!
PS. I think I'm addicted to this site!
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Airlawgirl

Yes, well, we seem to have quite a weather/clothing thread going throughout Europe at the moment, here, don't we? Yes, I do. Wear flip-flops-the cushiony kind with the 2 inch high foam rubber bottoms-your feet will love you for it! (they will get a bit dirty-but that's okay- just wash them off in some cool water (Piazza Navona, maybe?that's quite close to the Pantheon-smile) and you're good to go!

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 10:59 AM

Yup, here's another vote for the flip flops for HOT weather shoes. Your feet will not stick to them & get blisters, and they are lightweight for packing. Make sure they are foam cushioned, flexible, and don't rub the top of your foot. Get soft material for the top "thong" part, so it doesn't rub when you walk long distances, or scrape your skin when it gets hot.

I was there in July and August last summer. There is not an adjective to describe how hot it was. I stayed in my air conditioned room when I was overheated, and did a lot of night sight seeing. (The Forum & Colisseum are BEAUTIFULLY at night). Take a tour in the day, yes, but go back when the temps go down to 85 F at night, and see them in a different light. Maybe bring one of those neck packs that you can freeze in your hotel mini-fridge, and wrap it around your body when you go out mid-day. (Brookstone's has them).

AND, Italians invented gelato for a reason, so eat lots of that for lunch, and you'll stay cool. Have fun.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Airlawgirl

Amp32-very good points about the flips- make sure they don't rub between the toes-I believe there are actually little stretchy things you can get that go between the toes esp. made for flips or open-backed thong sandals so that they will not rub-saw them in a dept. store. Also, I am one of those who will never advocate for wearing shorts-don't own 'em, don't wear 'em- long gauzy skirts are SO much more attractive, as well as cooler-shorts tend to brand you as an American tourist a mile away.

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 07:25 PM

OH MY GOD--Branded as an American tourist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 07:26 PM

About those flip flops - yes, be careful about the between the toe area, but ALSO the fabric going over your feet. I have a pair of very cushy leather flip flops (more support than foam, etc), but I can't walk far in them, because the top part will rip my feet apart. So, choose wisely!
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

I'm in big trouble if the only solutions to the heat are flip flops and gauzy skirts. I have to wear orthopedic shoes -- and they won't let me in the churches with a gauzy skirt -- I'm a man!

I'm hoping someone will have suggestions about attractions that are air conditioned -- and ones that are open in the evening. (The Forum, Pantheon, and Colesseum close at 7:00pm)

And what about the Cesari -- are there any rooms (or sections) I should request -- or avoid?

Thanks!
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 12:46 PM

Songdoc - i too was in Rome last summer during the 100 year heatwave. Unless you are from Alaska, it;s hot but you will survive. We made sure to visit the open air sites in the mornings and late afternoons, while eating lunch and grabbing a nap during the heat of the day. For example, we did the Scala Reale tour of ancient rome from 9am-1pm (which i highly recommend as it was one the highlights of our trip). We then broke for a leisurely lunch, took a nap and went back out around 5pm. I also suggest the Scavi Tour at the vatican (the catacombs are surprisingly cool) - but beware - the Vatican Museum is NOT AIR CONDITIONED - visiting the Sistine Chapel in that heat was miserable and i suggest going very early in the day (we were there at noon - HUGE MISTAKE). That was really our only bad experience with the heat. My husband wore a variety of Nike/Cole Hahn sandals and stayed comfortable - and a linen shorts and pants. You will have a great time. Enjoy!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 05:04 PM

Actually Songdoc, the ancient Roman men did wear gauzy togas & sandals, so that attire, if you choose, would be acceptable. Just pretend you work at a tourist site, and that's why you're dressed that way...