Bare knees in BC

Search

Bare knees in BC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bare knees in BC

My wife and I will soon be heading off for a tour of Vancouver, the Rockies and the Okanagan. Here, in NZ, daytime summer wear for men is often a teeshirt or polo top, shorts and bare feet in open sandals. There are very few places here that I could not/would not go to dressed like that. I have found previously that our Kiwi dress codes can be somewhat more relaxed than in other parts of the world, particularly in the UK and Europe. Are shorts and sandals regarded as being acceptable day wear for men in places like shops, cafes, bars, etc in the areas that we are going to visit?
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 02:48 AM

When my Kiwi friend visited us, he only dressed in long pants once, when we went out for a special dinner.
The rest of the time he was fine.
No one will give you a second look with shorts on, provided you look neat and clean. ..
It can be hot here and you want to be comfortable.
ENjoy.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 06:42 AM

What kodi told you is absolutely true. The one caveat is that the weather in the Canadian Rockies is very quirky, and it can get cool.

I would say that, for this trip, you need to be prepared for temperatures anywhere from 40 deg C (110 deg F) to the freezing mark.

The average day time temperature in the Rockies in July is 20 deg C (70 deg F), and the average night time temperature is 7 deg C (44 deg F). However, day time highs can get up to 30 deg C (90 deg F) on occasion, and temperatures also can drop to the freezing mark on occasion.

The interior of British Columbia, around the Okanagan, tends to be hot in summer. Temperatures around 30 deg C (90 deg F) are quite common. During the occasional heat wave it can get up around 40 deg C (110 deg F).

Since Vancouver is at the coast, it tends to have a more moderate climate. It doesn't get unduly hot in summer, and neither does it get unduly cold in winter.

For the mountains you'll want some comfortable, sensible, lace-up walking shoes (hiking boots, runners, trainers or something of that nature). You'll also want a pair of long trousers, a long-sleeved fleece or wool top, and a hooded, waterproof jacket. If you happen to own a pair of trousers with zip-on / zip-off legs, you'll find them to be very versatile in the mountains.

I recommend that you wear your heavy shoes onto the plane, as that saves room in your luggage.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 07:10 PM

I think if you will not be arrested, you will be ok. Just remember that parts of the Rockies get cold.

We went in August to Mount Engadine Lodge south of Canmore one year and the condensation froze on the bannisters of the porch!

I needed a coat to get to and from the outdoor hot tub! Getting out was a chilling experience - cold, dry air plus the impact of evaporational cooling on bare skin! Brr.

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 11:19 PM

"I needed a coat to get to and from the outdoor hot tub!"

What a wuss Bob.

Seriously, one August morning in Jasper, we had the coffee filter freeze to the cone by the time we had finished drinking the coffee I had just made.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 07:31 AM

Tell you what. You come here to Georgia when the temperature is 97 and the humidity is more than 50%. I will get my ax, sledge hammer, and a couple of wedges, and we will split firewood. I have some green stuff that I need to split and stack so it will be ready by December.

Think you can handle it??

That's ok, I know to wear a hat when I go hiking unlike some Calgarians I have seen on the Iceline Trail in a sleet storm. They were holding their ears and fussing about the stinging pellets.

Two people from Georgia were equipped with GoreTex jackets with hoods, rain pants, gloves, and Polarfleece pullovers.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 11:09 PM

Bob.
Sane people know to plan ahead a year. You buck the wood in the summer. You wait until the water in the wood has frozen. About minus 40C. It splits easily then, and you stack it for next year.

Remember I now live in Victoria.

I thought that was an even saner move.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the sound advice on the "what-to-wear" question . I'm not so sure about the risk of being arrested though, Bob. The showing of my knees has not yet been classified as indecent (to my knowledge, anyway) and, according to my wife, my feet are only dangerous or offensive on some occasions.