What to pack: Alberta & Whistler in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to sound so clueless but I am a bit of a packrat so it would help to hear what and what NOT to bring. We are coming from the states and staying at Fairmont in Whistler and Moraine Lake Lodge near Lake Louise. Will be doing sightseeing, light hiking, touring around, Icefields, etc. each day. Would a polar fleece warmup jacket plus a waterproof shell get me by during the day for warmth & rain or should I take a lightweight down quilted jacket? Should I bother to bring shorts or would it be that warm? I was planning to hike in the type of basic athletic shoe I wear to the gym. Should I get some kind of all-terrain light hiking shoes? Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 09:50 AM

The weather can vary a lot from hot during the day to quite cool in the early morning and evening and can be cool throughout the day at the higher altitudes. I would bring the shorts. The polar fleece plus the waterproof shell should be fine. (However, you might want to add a couple of layers for the icefields.) I would also bring thin gloves and perhaps a light toque. We usually prefer to hike in hiking shoes because the terrain can be uneven and they give more support.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 11:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Agree with Artsfan2 on wardrobe. What is your mode of transport? Your own vehicle or plane, train with rental car.
If you are hiking without a guide that is familiar with the area, consider carrying a GPSr so that you can backtrack or know how far it is to your destination.
Remember to waypoint the trailhead.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 11:07 AM

Fleece plus waterproof should be plenty, maybe add thermal undershirt or turtleneck instead of a bulky outer layer. If you find you need another layer, you can buy one of the many souvenir sweatshirts or fleece vests for sale in every shop in the Rockies. One pair of shorts for sure.

If you have icegrippers--like tire chains for shoes--that will slip on over your sneakers or boots, they will come in very handy in the icefields. Those, plus thin gloves and hat, can stay in a single ziplock bag, ready for the few minutes you may need them for icy conditions.
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 04:15 PM

July in the Rockies can range from very hot and sunny to cool and rainy. For most activities you can usually get by with short sleeved shirt/T-shirt and shorts or lightweight pants.

Sweaters or fleece are useful at high elevations (on the Columbia Icefield or at the high elevations of tramways/gondolas). Thin gloves/hats are useful only on the glaciers, otherwise you shouldn't need them (although some sort of sun hat may be useful for shading from the glare of the sun if you are hiking).

Lake Louise is at a higher elevation than the Bow Valley (where Banff is), so it's usually a couple of degrees cooler there.

The days are very long in July, at the beginning of the month the sun rises just before 5:30 a.m. and sets at nearly 10 p.m., so lots of time for the air to warm up and for enjoying the wonders of the mountain parks.

As for Whistler, it's near the coast and probably has much more rain than the Rockies (which tend to be dry), but I'll leave that question for west coasters to answer.