Rome: How safe is the ...

Old May 12th, 2004, 09:43 AM
peanut

Rome: How safe is the ...

Hi all: We are leaving next week for Rome and Venice. I've done so much research that I'm at the point where I can't remember a thing....I had a few quick questions:

1. When going to dinner in the evening, has your experience been to use the underground tube (can't remember what it's called). Is it safe at night or should we take a taxi?

2. This is really a stupid question but, we are bringing some travelers checks just to play it safe. Where would we get the best exchange rate when using these to get euro's.

Many thanks...

Old May 12th, 2004, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2 Metro lines (A & B) are safe at night to use throughout Rome, although you may enjoy an evening stroll to and from your restaurant. That is what the Italians do on their nightly "passiagiata".

I would go directly to a bank (the Deutsche Bank is all over Rome and is the US equivalent to Bank of America) and exchange them there. IMO, I wouldn't even bring travelers checks, I usually bring about 150 euros from the States to start me off there, then use the ATM machine thereafter to withdraw cash.
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:57 AM

The underground in Rome doesn't provide as much coverage of the city as in, for example, Paris and London. It is probably safe enough but I would recommend walking or using taxis unless you have a specific restaurant in mind that is on the underground line. As for traveler's checks, I don't know. It has been so many years since we have used them because they are not convenient and easy to redeem.
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:57 AM
ira

Hi peanut,

You can take the metro and buses in reasonable safety.

Metro and bus maps at
http://www.atac.roma.it/

The only reason for taking TCs (in dollars) is as emergency funds.

Use your CC whenever possible and use ATMs for cash.
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:14 AM
peanut

WOW..Thanks for the quick responses I really appreciate it. I agree with your comments about TC's. This was just in case there were problems with ATM, etc.

I can't believe the time has come for us to finally leave!!!! we are so excited, however, the close it gets the more crazy I become. I've been thinking and planning for so long that I've reached overload. Ever happen to you? Thanks again for all your help with this posting and others.

Old May 12th, 2004, 10:21 AM

peanut, also don't forget to make copies of your passports and keep those in your suitcase as back-up. You just never know what may happen and better to be prepared in case of emergency.

The ATMs all work fine there, I never have had a problem. The usual service fee is imposed on the withdrawal amount, so sometimes better to take out a large sum to use during the week, versus frequent trips back and forth to the ATMS with recurrent fees.
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:05 AM

Just another note about ATMs. I tried to use mine in Venice on a Sunday morning, and my withdrawal was refused by two different machines because I had exceeded some limit. I knew that there was plenty of money in my account, so I tried unsuccessfully to call my bank in the U.S. I have since found out that ATMs are often unavailable on Sunday mornings due to some settling of international transactions (or some such thing). So if this happens to you, don't panic, just try again later or on Monday. I was glad to have a few travelers' checks with me.
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:29 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If the travelers checks are American Express there is an office by the Spanish Steps. I think the Metro closes around 12:30.
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:33 PM

The metro doesn't go many places and the buses in the center of town are pretty swift.

Use the ATM. Any Cirrus network card will work.
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:58 PM

Aside from a few stops (e.g. the Spanish Steps, Piazza Barberini) the subway in Rome really doesn't go near places where most people go out to dinner so you're probably more likely to walk or take a taxi.
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:09 PM
peanut

thanks again everyone. great advice. at least i know what to expect now. i will probably take a little cash, and a few travelers checks just for back-up. i've got copies of our passports also. i'm sure i will have a few more panick attacks as our departure draws nearer. you guys are a great security blanket and sanity check. thanks a million.

Old May 12th, 2004, 01:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
In Rome we used the bus much more than the metro. There is an extremely extensive bus network, while the metro is very limited. The bus seems very safe, day and night. Just learn the name of the stops nearest to you. The bus stops all have signs listing every stop on the route, so even if you don't know which bus to take you can look at the signs at major bus stops to find one going in your direction.
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:39 PM

Where can one buy a pass for one week for the bus and the Metro in Rome?
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:09 PM

You can buy all those passes at the TABAC shops. I would also like to pass on a great deal for phoning home-buy an international phone card at a TABAC shop and you can get minutes from 180 minutes for 5 Euros,etc. I have also found buying the local Italian phone card at a TABAC shop for 5 Euros is VERY handy for calling about shop times,dinner reservations,etc. Alot of the public phones around Rome will only take the local Italian phone card. (Those TABAC shops are located in every neighborhood all over Rome.)Do remember that you must validate the metro and bus tickets and most are timed after they are validated-ie.75 minutes a ticket so be sure to buy an extra when you are out and about as the TABAC stores close earlier.Rome is gritty,loud,scenic,busy and very much a big city. Enjoy it with the wonderful sites,smells,people,food and drink-it will take many trips to see everything so take bits and pieces and savor it!!!
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:38 PM
dln

peanut, my husband and I stayed in Trastavere and every night we walked over to the other side to Piazza Navona, Campo de Fiori, etc. We often stayed out until midnight and we always felt perfectly safe, no matter where we walked. The Italians are late diners so it's not unusual to find plenty of people out and about just like yourselves.

Old May 13th, 2004, 07:54 PM

Walking is the way to go in both Rome and Venice. No Metro in Venice, of course, but in Rome, the Metro is not extensive. Try to avoid the tourist buses, like Bus No. 64, which is reknowned for pickpockets, because they are crowded and the pickings are easy.
Old May 14th, 2004, 12:33 PM

Hi,
"at the point where I can't remember a thing"---I know just how you feel. Too much information in my small brain. Hopefully, we will have recall when we arrive at our destinations. I feel like I have "crammed" for a final. Anyway, remember to have a good time. Happy travels.
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I suggest some US cash to exchange, an ATM card, plus travelers checks and a credit card tucked away for emergencies or large expenses. Cash travelers checks at a bank for ease (not directly for spending in a shop or restaurant).

Walking is the way to see Venice. Just go out and get lost! Or look at the painted arrows on many building corners pointing towards major sites for a point of reference. Take a vaporetto on the Grand Canal for an inexpensive scenic tour.

Mostly (here's my best advice) take a deep breath and get ready to enjoy yourself! It seems you are well prepared and the rest you can work out once you arrive (ask your hotel front desk their advice about how to best get around the area or other concerns or questions that arise).