Notices

Rome Hotel with a car

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 11:29 PM
Catherine

Rome Hotel with a car

We will be in Italy for three weeks in August, and because we will be doing a lot of driving, have decided it would be most economical to rent a car for the entire three weeks.

We will be spending three nights in Rome, but I'm a little worried about having a car in Rome, so was wondering if there is an area just outside of Rome, like Fiesole is just outside of Florence, where it would be convenient to stay. I would like to be able to take a bus into the City center--hopefully not more than 15-20 minutes. We will need two rooms, and prefer a small hotel or B&B--not much more that $110 per night if possible.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 01:51 AM
Steve James

Hello Catherine,

A better bet would be to be somewhere where you can get into Rome by train.
My suggestion would be Castel Gandolfo, (summer residence of the pope) - a pleasant hill-town in a lovely setting above Lake Albano. 40 minutes from Rome by train.

Let me know if I can be of more help ...

Steve

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Tom

Or Frascati

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 12:11 PM
sarah

Catherine-

We are staying in the Aventino Hill area with a car and the hotel has free parking. If you have driven in a large city in the US (NY, Chicago, etc) I find it isn't that different if you have good directions.

Hotel- Villa San Pio; $115 double in the low season (august)

http://charmingrome.com/hotelvillaspio/

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:22 PM
Catherine

Sarah,

The Hotel Villa San Pio looks great. Thank you for the suggestion. Do you know how far it is from major sights, and how long a bus or train trip it is to the "center" of town? I like that it has free parking--so we could just leave the car there--but do you think it's close enough to feel like you're still in Rome?