Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to park our lease car while visiting Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi to all!
We will be visiting Rome for 2 or 3 nights in early May with a lease car, on our way from our daughters in Benevento (North East of Naples) to Venice. We could take the train from Benevento to Rome then return for the car but that would be doing a double trip but would avoid the "car in Rome" problem.
Does anyone know of a place in or near Rome to leave the car for 2 nights or accomodation where we can park yet have an easy trip to the sights of Rome?
Thankyou
Rosie
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi again...just to add we prefer to pay E100-120 for a double room per night and don't mind B&Bs or hotels.
Thanks
Rosie
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM

I have stayed at the Padovano Hotel on two occasions. It is located on the Via Tiburtina 130, close to the road that leads to Villa Adriana, in Tivoli. The family hotel was actually two buildings on each side of the Via, and it had a restaurant on the premises that served awesome seafood. Tivoli historical centre with its Villa d'Este was an easy bus ride away. The bus stop is right in front of the hotel and back then it took 40' to Termini in Rome. Buses have changed the stop in Rome, but surely it would not take longer to commute into the city.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 07:43 PM

I would think you shouldn't have too hard of a time finding a hotel with a parking garage in Rome. I'm sorry I can't recommend a specific one. You may have to pay extra for the parking per day, but it might be worth it not to have to stay on the outskirts of town and spend a lot of time in transit.

You might try posting another thread asking for "Rome Hotel around 120 euro/night with parking?" and see what kind of answers you get.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 08:01 PM

After trying to negotiate downtown Paris in our rental car and after having our car towed in Rome because we didn't know to move our car for street cleaning...we drove to Florence and as SOON as we began to enter the downtown area, we started looking for the signs designating car parks and found one very quickly. Uncovered parking lot with an attendant. Explained to him we were going to be at a hotel in the historic center and would return for the car in 4 days. Then we hailed a taxi and took it to our hotel. Our car was perfectly safe and we were a whole lot less stressed. I can't remember how much it cost us but I think it was around $15 American per day.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 07:54 AM

I know I've read about a parking garage in the Borghese Park in Rome. Do a search here to see if you can find more info on that.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 09:00 AM

Yes, there is a large garage on the southern edge of the Borghese Park adjacent to the Spagna metro station. You can access it from the metro.