Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome Hotel: Champagne Palace Hotel? - Go-Today.com choice

Old Oct 27th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone stay at this 4star hotel near Termini? It's on Via Principe Amedeo, 82.
TIA
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 06:57 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I am staying here in 2 weeks. I can post about my experience when I get back if that isn't too late.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 07:12 AM

Sassy27: We are at the Hotel Contilia, which is right across the street from CP hotel, at 81 VP Amedeo, but we are not going until March with Go-today. If you would be so kind as to visually check it out from the street, lobby, etc. plus neighborhood in general and inexpensive places for lunch/pizza, I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much, and we hope you have a wonderful time!!
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 05:25 PM

Mimicsr
Thanks for the wishes, I'll make a note to check it out. I have a relative who travels to Rome at least twice a year and he said the area near Piazza S. Maria Maggiore is pretty decent. So we'll see.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Try the website http://www.hotelcontilia.com/

Am still seeing if anyone has been to the Hotel Champagne Palace.

TIA
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 04:05 AM

Hi all! Just got back from Italy last night and wanted to tell you about my experience with the Champagne Palace Hotel. This hotel was excellent. The location was great, it's only 3 blocks from the Metro/buses. It also is the only place you can catch both the A and B lines for the metro. The hotel seemed to be very updated and most of all clean. The rooms were small but that's a Europe hotel for you. I had 2 twin beds in mine as well as small vanity table but you had to move the chair to walk around to the other side. A refrigerator and 13 inch TV on top of it was also in there. There was a closet but I didn't use it and no dressers. My friends room was similar but they had a dresser and refrigerator built into the wall with the TV in the dresser part, they had a Black and White TV, we had color. In the bathroom, the shower stall was small but do able. The staff there, I didn't think was too friendly. They would help you but didn't seem to happy, but we just ignored it.

Mimicsr- We did check out Hotel Contilia from the outside. It seems to look every nice with a big lobby. It doesn't look run down so you should be ok. The neighorhood is safe and there are plenty of places to eat. We ate across the street which was next to your hotel and it was good. Very inexpensive but bring change. They didn't add the service charge into the bill and I didn't have anything smaller than a 10 so the guy got an 11E tip for a 19E meal. We asked for change and he never came back. If you would like to ask me anything else, feel free to email me at [email protected]
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your report!

Glad that you had an enjoyable stay at the Hotel Champagne Palace. We'll be going there in a week, and will also report back!

BTW, how was the neighborhood? I heard that the Termini area wasn't too friendly. Also, how was the breakfast, nearby bus stops, etc..

TIA.

Old Nov 15th, 2003, 07:03 AM

The neighborhood was fine and safe to walk around. No one bothered us and we didn't feel threatened at all. When we used the bus, we went to Termini to catch it, which is located in the front of the station. You can buy tickets at the newspaper stand.

The morning breakfast was ok. I'm not big on rolls and that sort of thing so I only ate the canned fruit cup. They did have hard boiled eggs and was told they were ok. They also had cereal that looked like corn flakes, some kind of pie, meats and cheese. To drink, they had coffee, I think tea, some kind of orange juice, water and grapefruit juice. Also if you need to go to a grocery store, go out of the hotel make a right to go to Termini and it's 4 doors down on the right. It's cheaper than in Termini.

Oh and a quick FYI. You will be given a light key for your room. This turns on the electricity to the room. There will be a little black slot that you slide it in right next to your door. It took us a few good minutes to figure this out .
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Again, thanks for the great info, especially about the light key.

Another question (from the wife): did your room have a coffee maker or tea pot?

TIA.

p.s., I'll try to take some pix of the hotel rooms, lobby, etc, so others can see what a typical 4**** may look like.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 01:39 PM

There wasn't a coffee or tea pot in our room and I don't believe there was one in our friend's room. You can try asking at the reception desk for one. Also, should you need to use a pay phone to call home, we found the one near the hotel on the same street just a few doors down, to be more quiet than on the main street.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Again, thank you very much for your quick reply! We'll be on our way in less than a week!
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 05:58 AM

Vino Geek - Anxiously awaiting your review of the Champagne Palace Hotel. Hope you had a good time. I am staying there in Feb. If you could post any pics, that would really be appreciated. Anything else I should know about the hotel or neighborhood. Thanks for your help.