Need Advise . . Which Hotel in Rome???

Old May 27th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advise . . Which Hotel in Rome???

I'm trying to decide between three hotels in Rome . . . Bailey's, Hotel Canada or Colonna Palace. Has anyone stayed at any of these? Hotel Canada gets rave reviews as does Bailey's. Colonna Palace seems to get more mixed reviews, but the location couldn't be better. As there will be 7 of us, all women, we want to be situated where we can easily walk most everywhere. I really can't get a handle on how far from everything the other two hotels are other than near the train station. Last time I was in Rome, I stayed at the Condotti hotel which was a disaster, but the location right at the Spanish steps was great. My daughter and I walked everywhere from there with no problem. Also, If no one has stayed at any of the three hotels I've mentioned or know anything about them, can you please recommend some to me that would fit our needs. We are going next March, by the way. Thanks for your help!!

Sue
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:18 PM

Sue,

A hotel by Termini will not be terribly handy for walking and sightseeing. It's kind of the least desirable area to stay.

I stayed at Hotel Giardino Rome which was between Trajan's Market and the Quirinale. It was a great location, 5 minutes to the Trevi, 10 minutes to the Coliseum. Very walkable to everywhere. Small, cosy and super friendly and helpful owner, Katy, who replies prompty to e mails. Breakfast included, the usual. I had a single room in Sept (high season) for 90E/night. It's a 2*, no elevator, but clean and with wonderful, sound proof, double paned windows and A/C.

Buon viaggio!
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:27 PM

Colonna Palace is in a great location. The hotel itself is a bit old, but it's just like any other hotel in Rome. What's cool about this place is breakfast is served on the top floor...indoors or out on the rooftop deck! It's AMAZING to see the rooftops of the buildings in Rome, St Peters,and hear the church bells ring. I really recommend that place. Everything's within walking distance and it's safe--because it's situated right across the street from the Parliament building-lots of police presence.
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations. I just came across something that stated the Colonna Palace is under rennovation and will be done next February. It really does seem like the perfect place. I think I'm going to try to book there.
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:38 AM

If they say the renovation will be done by next Feb, I would be a little worried about booking it for March. In Italy, renovations are rarely completed when planned.
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:40 AM

Guess I meant to add that you could book it, but maybe have a backup plan, and know the cancellation policies of that backup.
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:44 AM

I agree with Susan..we have seen construction work drag on from year to year.....a mess in center Fiesole comes to mind....I would consider booking, but call periodically, especially as time gets closer, to be sure they are on schedule...that would leave you enough time to book elsewhere...
Old May 28th, 2006, 05:44 PM

We've stayed at the Nazionale on the same Piazza as Colonna (Montecitorio). We found it be be a great central location on a beautiful, traffic free and quiet square.
Old May 28th, 2006, 05:49 PM

If the prices at the Nazionale Montecitorio are doable, that would be a very good choice.

Another good one if my favorite, the Hotel Portoghesi. Superb location at the top of via della Scrofa.

For seven women who want to stroll about in the evenings, I would not recommend the Termini station area.

Old May 28th, 2006, 06:03 PM

Hello savannah, going along with tuscanlifeedit, a friend and I were going to stay in Rome for a week. She found a hotel by the Termini Station.
My SIL who was Rome born and bred (but now lives here in my city in N CA) had a fit and said a loud "NO", LOL. I recently talked with a friend that stayed in Rome and she said being in that area during the day was fine but she would have been so worried if she had booked a hotel in the area, walking back in the dark after dinner etc. And the station is not what I would consider close to what you no doubt will want to see.

If you haven't may I suggest you get a good map of Rome, that will help you make a decision as far as location.

Sounds like the seven of you will have a fun time in Rome!!
Old May 28th, 2006, 06:26 PM

My daughter and I stayed 3 nights at the Nazionale Montecitorio found it a great place to stay. We found a special on their site for 2 nights and 1 night free. It is right near the Colonna-have never been inside the hotel,but both are across from the parliament building and you walk right down a few streets to the Pantheon. The breakfast is very good and the staff very helpful. Have fun. Rome is such a special city