Rome during Easter a bad idea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure I tagged this original message in the Italy forum, so here it is again...

My family of 5 (kids ages 11-5) is considering Rome for Spring Break. Vacation days would include the week before Easter and Easter Day. Questions:
1. Is this an insane time to be in Rome? Tons of people, longs lines, difficulty getting around, closed tourist attractions, etc.?
2. Is it possible to take day trips outside of Rome this week, including on Easter Friday, or do things really shut down during this time period?
3. What kind of cultural day trips would you recommend that are within striking distance of Rome and how would you plan them (sightseeing tour, train, bus, etc.)? Rome would be our base for the week.
4. Does Florence/Pisa also shut down and/or become mobbed during Easter and if not, would it be feasible to do a couple nights there or is it too far? Website link for information on prices and times?
5. How is the weather in late March/early April?
Grazie!!!
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 06:42 AM

1. We have been in Rome one time during Easter, and it was not a problem. That was back in 2001 or 2002. There are some things that are shut down, but you can readily plan around that. Some restaurants will be closed for a day or two, but enough will be open to not present a problem (unless things have changed during Easter in the past few years). The Vatican museums, if I remember correctly, are closed on on Easter, and maybe the next day too.

2. It is entirely possible to do day trips, but do a lot of research before hand to find out which are open and which not.

3. I would recommend that you have your kids do research to find the things that are of special interest to them. For example, would Ostia Antica ( http://www.ostia-antica.org/ ) be of interest? With some kids, yes, with many kids, no. The more you get the kids involved in planning, the more they will enjoy the trip. How you go (hired car/driver, organized tour, train, etc) depends on your budget and where you wish to go. Would they have an interest in Castle Gondolfo (small village with a papal summer home)? ( http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/lazio/castelgandolfo.html )

4. We have not been in Florence or Pisa during Easter (have been there before and after, but not during, so cannot say if most places are shut down or not. I am sure others can tell you. However, I think that you will find plenty to do in/around Rome that you will not need to spend any nights in Florence or Pisa.

5. Weather in that part of Europe is very mixed at that time of year. Possible rain, possible chilly, possible warm. Bring clothing you can layer to add and remove as the weather changes.

One of the things I think you and the kids would really enjoy would be to trek up to the top of the dome at St. Peter's. No chance of doing that on Good Friday, Easter, or Easter Monday, so plan on it on another day. Get there a bit before it opens (check current times). Go up the steps to St. Peter's, but do not go in...instead, turn right, then follow the walk to around the side of the building and keep going for a bit. There, you can buy tickets to go up the dome, and you can buy lift tickets to avoid the first set of steps (lift gets you to the roof top of St Peter's, where you then enter a door to go inside the dome, then you take stairs up to the top. Just climbing the stairs is interesting, but the view is fantastic once there. Stairs are one way up, and one way back down, so once you start, there is NO turning back.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 07:08 AM

DH and I left the Lake Como area on Easter Monday a few years ago.

Do make reservations in advance. Lots of Italians travel at Easter to visit family and for school breaks. We made a train res. on a Monday for a Good Friday day trip. We arrived at the station early enough to make the earlier train but it was fully booked.

Watch for holiday schedules for train, ferry, etc. travel. We took a ferry on Easter Monday and found that its holiday hours would keep us from catching our train to Milan and airport so we changed hotels on Sunday.

Make advance reservations for special Easter meals. We were in Bellagio on Easter Sunday and were amazed that many shops were open in the a.m. and the natives were all out walking around and shopping. The same elsewhere? Can't say.

We usually travel for 2 weeks in March (before and after the 17th). Layers and an all-weather coat usually sufficed. We have long silk underwear and only needed them once in Florence in over 15 years of such travel.

We loved seeing the Easter decorations and special foods on display. We had an 8-course Easter lunch to die for at our family-owned hotel. We weren't in Rome so it might be even busier there. I say go for it but plan more in advance than normal. It will be an interesting experience for you all.

From Rome, Orvieto is an easy day trip and the duomo is awesome. Pompeii is a long day bus tour but do-able and might interest your kids. Tivoli Gardens are easy trip also.

Can you get a flight into Rome and out of Pisa (or vice versa)? How many total days do you have? Royal Victoria Hotel is where we stay in Pisa (tell them the Rhodys sent you if you go) and they are great about suggesting places to eat and visit. Your kids would love the leaning tower and the duomo is fascinating and beautiful. Florence an easy train trip from Pisa.

Other Fodorites will make even more suggestions!
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much for your suggestions! I This is very helpful!
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 07:15 AM

We were in Rome on Easter weekend in 2006. We were with a school tour and found that we were only one tour group of many. Many of the main tourist sites were very crowded. Our kids never did get near the Trevi Fountain or the Spanish steps. We also found that some churches etc were closed to the public due to Easter services. Public transportation was also very crowded near the main sites.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 07:33 AM

Oh, yeah, here is another thing the kids might enjoy, the Capuchin Crypt beneath the Capuchin Church of the Immaculate Conception. In the crypt, there are several "rooms" in which the bones of monks (most all are deceased) are arranged in interesting paterns.

True, some think it is a bit grusome, but most kids actually find it very interesting.

It is on Via Veneto, around the curve from the US Embassy. As you approach the front of the church, before going up the steps, go to the right and in the door at the ground level. There will be a monk with a cup who will tap the cup until you provide a donation.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/tapholov/pages/bones.html

Another thing: scout out as many gelato places as you can find, and reward the kids with LOTS of gelato. For example, there is a very delightful place just a couple blocks north from the Pantheon. If I can find the exact location, I will post it, but otherwise, do a google search for gelato in Rome.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 01:00 PM

The gelato place near Pantheon is Giolitti's if we are on the same wave length, Infotrack. Supposedly they make gelato for the pope. There are directional signs for it! When we were there, one paid for the gelato first, then chose the flavors. BTW, their family has a wonderful Italian deli, restaurant in the Annapolis area.

For once, it sounds like 2 Fodorites are in agreement here. Although, I think going to Pompeii first, made me disappointed in Ostia Antica. But that was just me. For some reason, Pompeii captivated my imagination.

Kidfriendly, please do a trip report when you return. Lots of folks with kids will enjoy it!
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the information. Last summer, our kids went to Paris for the 1st time. I hadn't been in over 20 years. Someone on Fodor's recommended a gelato place near our rental, and it was the best gelato I've ever had. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water!
I will look into Ostia Antica, but I definitely want to go to Pompeii. I've never been there, and I think my kids would really enjoy it as well.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 04:26 AM

TDudette, that is it! Wonderful gelato place with THOUSANDS of flavors. Well, okay, not THAT many.

Agree with Orvieto, too. Great place. The kids will enjoy the funicular ride to get up to Orvieto. http://www.orvietoonline.com/funicolare_orvieto.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnyxTtGmsys
http://www.flickr.com/photos/checco/2401617828/
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 07:41 AM

A fellow Fordorite has a wonderful site she's link chronicling her trip to Rome over Christmas 2008. She posted the site in an earlier discussion. I forget her "handle" on here, but the website is fabulous. You can find it at:

wired2theworld.com/ROME2008
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 07:42 AM

Excuse me, I meant Easter/2008. Confusing my Christian holidays!