Rome at very end of August

Aug 15th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Rome at very end of August

I'm finalizing our trip. It's much less expensive to stay in Rome on our arrival in Italy, August 29th rather than at the end of the trip (we're flying in and out FCO).
I know much of the City is closed in August.
Does this mean that restaurants, shops etc will open on September 1 or is there a chance that Monday, August 30th or Tuesday August 31st things might be getting back to normal in the City?
Thanks so much!
Aug 15th, 2010, 12:44 PM

First off, the city is not closed in August. It is a huge tourist town and time. Second, it will be hot to super hot so plan accordingly.
Aug 15th, 2010, 12:47 PM

Relatively few shops and restaurants can afford to close these days for the entire month of August. Many close for two weeks, some only for one week. The closings go by the week; if they're open on September 1, they will almost certainly be open on August 30 (if Monday is not the restaurant's weekly closing day).
Aug 15th, 2010, 01:03 PM

i just got home and yes there were some things closed.... and yes people take vacation... but the city is open
Aug 15th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses.
My experiences in Venice were that there were a number of "unique" shops that interested me which were closed in August (at least during our past 2 visits).
The prices in Rome are rising so tremendously over a 2 week period for the hotel we're considering and others, I assumed it must be in direct response to access to all that was available in the City.
I'm not finding a trade show or anything else apparent that would be an obvious reason for such an increase.
Aug 15th, 2010, 06:37 PM

Only a few local or family places will be closed. All sights and the vast majority or restaurants and shops will be open. But do take the note on heat seriously - it will be VERY hot and humid - so you need to be sure that you stay well hydrated - and that your hotel has good AC (many budget places don;t have any).

Search this Thread