Is Rome closed in August?

May 4th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Is Rome closed in August?

Trying to evaluate whether the weather in early August, the air quality, any closures (museum/restaurant/shop /Vatican?) will detract from our trip. I've been told I may find only fast food restaurants open (not very appealing). With school-aged children, we are limited to the summer time or Easter week.
May 4th, 2005, 01:09 PM

It's certainly not ideal, but it's doable and even enjoyable.

Here is our trip report on Rome (and Venice) in August. It may answer your questions...

http://www.onelittleworld.com/rome_venice_1.html
May 4th, 2005, 01:17 PM

To summarize that lengthy report...plenty of places open, and no shortage of great sites to see, museums to explore, places to eat, etc. If we'd had twice the time, it wouldn't have been enough.
May 4th, 2005, 01:24 PM

for historical weather conditions, consult www.wunderground.com

Major attractions are not closed.

Most restaurants will be open; a few of the very top places, and a few of the small family-owned places will be closed, but there will be no need to rely on fast food. Roman businesses know that many visitors come in August; they don't all want to forego the business.

It will of course be hot, so keep that in mind and don't overschedule your daily itineraries. As is true most of the year, many churches, some small shops, etc close mid-day for a few hours.
May 4th, 2005, 09:12 PM

its business as usual but all the romans are out of rome but the atmosphere and traffic is great
May 5th, 2005, 12:45 AM

I've been to Rome several times in August. Plan on heat and humidity and staying in an establishment that is air conditioned.

Lots of Romans leave the city for the beach and/or their own vacations. As was stated above, major attractions are open as are plenty of places to eat and shop. What you were "told" is, in a word, erroneous.
May 5th, 2005, 04:07 AM

Absolutely worth going. We found nothing to be closed at all. Here's out August in Rome Report.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34438906

May 5th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reassurance...I think we'll probably stick with our dates, although I'd prefer May or September. (I did a little research and found quite a few neighborhood restaurants will be closed in August. Thankfully not all of them. And then there is the business about the heat in the city.) But it wouldn't be the same without our daughters along! I'm going to print out the trip reports for reference.
May 5th, 2005, 08:00 PM

Hello, I was in Rome in August 2000 and 2002. Some restaurants were closed, but that didn't affect our trip; there were plenty of others to choose from. The heat didn't bother us a bit. No noticeable air quality issues either time. Your children will have an incredible learning experience (I'm a teacher) Rome is wonderful--enjoy!

Search this Thread