Rome - Arriving in 5 days!!

Sep 18th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Rome - Arriving in 5 days!!

My wife and I just finalized a trip to Italy and now need accommodations. We'll be arriving in Rome on September 24th, staying for 3 nights. Then off to Florence for 3 nights and finally Tuscany before flying out of Rome again on October 3rd.

I am on a last minute sprint for hotels and would love some advice. Ones that keep coming to the top of the list in our price range (and recommended by friends) are Hotel Forum, Hotel Diplomatic, and I may be able to get into the Kolbe on credit card points. They are normally more than our budget but look quite nice. Are we at least looking at the right areas? We are from New York so we walk everywhere and plan to do so in Rome as well. Any other suggestions would be very welcome both at or below this budget range.

I plan to start researching Florence and Tuscany tomorrow but any advice there would be great too. It is a bit stressful planning a trip 5 days before you leave but I know we will love it once we arrive.

Thanks for your help!!
Sep 18th, 2009, 08:40 PM

I am not answering you hotel question, but a comment on your itinerary.

Are you doing something like this? 3 nights Rome, 3 nights Florence, 2 nights somewhere in Tuscany, 1 night in Rome?

If your flight arrives early in Rome, usually is the case for U.S. arrivals, you can eliminate one hotel transfer, if you are staying the last night in Rome, and gain another day in Tuscany by:

3 nights Florence, 3 nights somewhere in Tuscany, 3 nights Rome.
Sep 18th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

That is a good thought. Will take a look to see if that works for us. Thanks!
Sep 18th, 2009, 08:57 PM

I agree with Greg. I would train to Florence as soon as you land in Rome. If you have 10 nights, 3 nights Florence, 3 nights Tuscany (I prefer southern - Val D'Orcia area), 4 nights Rome.

State your hotel budget if you want suggestions for hotels. Any hotels you are considering, post a link if you have it.
Sep 18th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Budget is fairly wide ranging honestly. Can pay $300-350/night in Rome for a nice place but would be more comfortable in the $250 or lower range.

Hotels in Rome that have been recommended to us to date:

Hotel Forum: http://www.hotelforumrome.com/

Hotel Diplomatic: http://www.hotel-diplomatic.it/
Sep 18th, 2009, 09:27 PM

cbutler32, I highly recommend Hotel Casci in Florence. It would be within your range. Family owned and operated, great location, free internet in the lounge, breakfast included. We LOVED this place. We wanted to take Pierpaulo home with us. He spoke perfect English but was unmistakenly Italian, all the way! They recommended fabulous restaurants and made our reservations for us and for the museums, too.

http://www.hotelcasciflorence.com/en/location.htm

Also, best meal we had in all of Italy (and including a very expensive dinner in Paris), was in Florence. Semidivino. We can highly recommend it! Via di San Gallo 22/r

Buon viaggio! You will love Italy! It will steal your heart!
Sep 19th, 2009, 01:10 AM

I was going to book at 'The Beehive' Rome which has good reviews, but they dont have rooms (or rooms with private bathroom wc) so, thru their (American owners) advise to contact 'Cross Polinate' website and I found MrFrills B&B, so i made a booking at 80Euro thru CrossPolinate (someone call Amy is always there to answer you, which is good to know you are dealing with a real person), I was there with my wife Sep 5-7 for 2 nights, upon arrival from the airport we took Terravison coach at 8 Euro for both of us, they dropped us at the back of Termini, so you have to go to the FRONT to follow Mr Frills' directions, we arrived and at the time only 2 other family from Australia was there (and do we), so Mr Frills gave us a choice of the larger room (with bedroom upstairs), I found the place is very clean, kitchen is well stock with cereals, coffee etc, just like home. Our room was spacious and airy and quite (if you prefers room with terrace then it will face the Vittorio Piazza Garden, its alive.

The area as it said is multiethnic, lots of Mainland Chinese opening shops and Indians, the place is safe, we were walking around at night without being hassle. Indian barbershops, little supermarket etc., Metro is 2 minutes walk, Colloseum only 15 minutes walk, I found the place is perfect, an old lift is there to carry you up to 2nd Floor, if you have luggages then take 4 trips up, so no fuss. If you want class and in the centre then stay at Crossing Gondotti just near Spanish Step where Gucci, Prada and Louis Vuitton has their shops there.

This was our first trip to Rome so we found the B&B is perfect place to stay, it has minimalist outlook about it, and the 'keys' tp our rooms and front rooms has 'special' trick to open, MrFrills will explain, its all fun. Also wi-fi is free in rooms if you have your own laptop.