need help with trip to Alsace-Lorraine

Sep 14th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

need help with trip to Alsace-Lorraine

Please tell me if this is too ambitious: Thursday; arrive Strasbourg via train. do boat ride on Ill River, stay at Le Regent Petite France, dine at Au Crocodile. Friday: pick up rent car after visiting musee de l'Oeure Notre Dame and drive 13 mile on wine road to stay at Le Cerf. Saturday: drive through Wangen, Molsheim, Rosheim. Stay in Obernai at Le Parc. Sunday: drive to Ribeaufille, stay at Clos St Vincent and dine at Aux Armes de France. MOnday: drive to Colmar and dine at Auberge de I'll. Tuesday: drive to Nancy. SE Musee Historique Lorrain. Where should we stay? Wednesday: explore Nancy. Thursday: drive to Dijon. Stay at Hostellerie du Chapeau-Rouge. Friday: drive to Beaunne and Autun. Stay at L'Hostellerie de Bretonniere, dine at Ma Cuisine. Saturday: drive to Auxerre and Vezelay and Avallon. Stay in Vezelay at Poste et Lion d'Or. dine at l'Esperance. Sunday: depart Auzerre, drop rent car at DeGaulle airport and stay at an airport hotel. What airport hotel would you recommend?
Sep 15th, 2009, 01:20 PM

It would be too many one-nighters for me; IMO, you waste too much time checking in/out of hotels, etc., to say nothing of the time needed for driving so much from place to place.
Sep 15th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Way too many one-nighters. I would rather stay in 3 places - at most 4 - and just do day trips. It will save a huge amount of time finding and checking in/out of hotels and packing/unpacking.

Have you looked at a map and travel times? Many of those place are VERY close together,
Sep 15th, 2009, 04:50 PM

Hello sb:

I echo Grandmere's comments but I am probably much older than you. I heartily agree, however, with your choice of Le Regent Petite France in Strasbourg. We stayed there a few years ago except we hung around for 3-4 days. We were mightily impressed with the hotel, and thoroughly enjoyed the city and its restaurants. My guideposts for Europe, and for that matter anywhere else, are proportion and serenity. Gradyghost
Sep 19th, 2009, 12:33 AM

Hi sb,

I agree with the others that you might just end up being frustrated by the end of the trip. Strasbourg and Colmar are only about an hour apart, so perhaps you could base yourself in Colmar and do a couple day trips from there??

As far as Beaune, I would recommend staying at the superb Jardins de Loïs www.jardinsdelois.com and eating at Les Jardins des Ramparts. Not sure at what time of the year you are travelling, but they have beautiful outdoor seating in the garden, and the food is SUBLIME!

Jeni
Sep 19th, 2009, 06:17 AM

Your trip to Metz appears to be missing from your plan. I highly recommend it.

I was very satisfied with the Suitehôtel in Nancy last month. It is not in the center of town, but it is on a lovely water park along the Meurthe canal. And after all, you have a car to get around.