Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome Archeobus Tours: Catacombs, Appian Way, Via Appia Antica, Aquaducts, etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Walter

1st off thanks to xxx/ppp for telling me about these Archeobus tours before my March trip. In a future search if the URL below is dead, e-mail me I've copied the text of the website. This is the easiest way to get to the Catacombs and the other Via Appia sites, of course it can be done on public transport (bus or metro/bus) I've done it before. But this is hassle-free, you won't get lost plus hourly transport between the sites. Even if you didn't get off the bus, the tour of this route is worth it. It costs 7.75euro in a 16 passenger bus with a guide and it's a "hop on-hop off" route. On Sundays the Via Appia is closed to auto traffic, great for walking or renting a bike (ask the guide). I was going to write a trip report about the Archeobus Tours but in my search I found this *very* informative trip report website. www.mmdtkw.org/VArcheobus.html <BR>I'd just like to add "Summer hrs 9am-7pm Winter 10am-4pm", cost 7.75euro, take a lunch and picnic at the Aquaduct Park. And alittle more detail on the location at Piazza Venezia. Standing in front of the Vittorio Emanuele II Monument facing the Piazza Venezia. Look 45deg to your left, across the street you will see the Piazza S. Marco (small tree and grass park). Walk over to it and go to the left (SW) corner and you'll see a Pinecone water fountain. That is where the buses leave from and if you look to your left (west) down Via S. Marco you'll see the green kiosk/ticket booth on the sidewalk ~30M away. Any of the Rome Tourist Info booths and probably your hotel will have Archeobus pamphlets. You might want to reserve by phone esp in peak season. (06) 46952343 or 46952252 or 46954695 (9am-8pm). Regards, Walter <BR>

Old May 20th, 2002, 04:50 AM
ppp

Thanks for the URL, Walter; with all the links it contains, it´s indeed very informative. At Euro 7.75, the next time I plan to spend a day visiting Via Appia, tghe acqueducts and Caffarella valley, I´ll certainly use the Archeobus. By properly mixing bus and walking segments, I can´t see how one may possibly do better.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Walter

I just wanted to add this website www.miracleplayers.org/visitingrome/archeobus_rome.htm<BR> This site says you now buy the tickets at the Piazza d. Cinquecento Info booth in front of Termini.<BR> I *assume* that you can still buy them at the Piazza Venezia kiosk where these buses leave from?<BR> I suggest that you call when in Rome to see if only one or both of these booths sell tickets. The Info Booth at Termini can get crowded, so look to see if Archeobus has a seperate window/booth from the Info window/booth which is usually used for bus route info. Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Sandy

Thanks for the Archeobus website. Any suggestions on whether it is necessary to book this tour, or other tours like the Scavi, Rome underground, or &quot;Rome by night&quot; in advance (i.e., before leaving US)? Traveling in March. THX

Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did an Archeobus tour again earlier this month, so I have a few things to add.<BR> I was told at Piazza dei Cinquecento (Termini) Info booth to go to the Piazza Venezia for the tickets and the Archeobus starting point. So the info in my original post above is still valid.<BR> You might not want to do this tour on a Monday because many of the sites are closed (Villa/Circus of Maxentius [Circo Massenzio] &amp; Tomb of Romulus, Mausoleum of Cecilia Metella, Villa dei Quintili, Porta San Sebastiano Museum also the Baths of Caracalla close early on Monday).<BR> You must also plan around the opening times (8:30-noon &amp; 2:30-5:00) and closed days of the 3 Catacombs (San Sebastiano M-Sa closed in Nov, San Callisto Th-Tu closed in Feb, San Domitilla W-M closed in Jan). The easiest 2 to visit are the San Callisto &amp; San Sebastiano Catacombs. The bus drops you at the entrance to a park and San Callisto is within 200m. Also you cross a tree lined road/footpath just before you get to this catacomb, after your tour you follow that to San Sebastiano (10min walk). San Domitilla is ~750m from that bus stop, you would cut thru the park and walk along a rather scary (no sidewalks or shoulder if I remember correctly from '96) section of road for ~300m.<BR> To give you a timeline I took the 10am Archeobus to San Callisto. I waited ~10min for the English tour to start, after that I walked over to San Sebastiano (10min) and waited (~15min) for the English tour. I was finished by noon.<BR> The Archeobus picks-up around this area (San Sebastiano to Mausoleum Cecilia Metella 550m) at ~30min past the hour. There is only 1 restaurant in this section, it looked nice (outdoor seating beneath trees) but was rather expensive and most likely just caters to tourists. So pack a lunch or bring some snacks and water. Also the &quot;Blue Guide Rome&quot; covers these sites fairly good with a map. Regards, Walter
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 10:02 AM

ttt for &quot;donnabee&quot;. Regards, Walter
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 10:36 AM
donnabee

Thanks Walter - I have added to my list. I was planning on doing this on Monday, but I see it's close - so now I am back to rearranging things! UGH!

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 05:51 PM

People interested inthis part of town may want to consider going out to via Appia Antica on Sunday and renting a bicycle (next to the park office) and riding out. I did this Palm Sunday and it was mobbed w/ romans on bikes, jogging walking and horseback riding. You can get out into pretty countryside .
AndrewDavid
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 09:08 AM

Topping this because a couple of posters asked about it on another thread and another is interested in going to the Catacombs. And to that person, all the Catacombs have their own English-speaking tourguides which is included in the admission price. So no reason to go out there with a tourguide or on a tourbus. Regards, Walter