Catacombs - which ones are the best?

Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:14 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catacombs - which ones are the best?

We will be in Italy for the first time this March with our two kids (9and 12). We are all definitely interested in seeing catacombs. I know the main catacombs are outside of the city along the Appian Way, but also know there are some at the San Clemente Church. My questions are:

Is one better than the other?
Is it worth going to both or will it seem like the same thing?
How long does it actually take to get to the catacombs outside the city and what is the best way to get there?
Is it helpful to do either with a tour or not?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:55 PM

There aren't any catacombs underneath San Clemente although the church is built on three levels, the lowest of which has a temple to Mithras. There are catacombs underneath the church of San Agnese Fuori la Mura.

If you go to the Appian Way, it takes less than 10 minutes by taxi from the Colosseum area and about 30 minutes by bus. The largest are those of San Calisto but to me, it's not much more than many dark passageways filled with empty niches. I prefer San Sebastiano, which is somewhat smaller but has a very interesting graffiti wall and some impressive ancient Roman mauseleums. You can't go down into any of the catacombs alone. There are English speaking guides at all of the catacombs that give tours every half hour or so.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 05:30 AM

I have been to both and enjoyed San Calisto a bit more, perhaps because of the detailed history related to me by a preist living in Rome prior to my visit. They are not open year round so I suggest you confirm ahead.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 07:51 AM

I enjoyed San Calisto. got there using the A metro line in direction of Anagina to get to San Giovanni Laterano. from there walk towards the piazza and church of same name and find the bus stage. The 218 should be waiting there. i bought my tickets from the driver. Now the tricky part: knowing where to stop. ask the driver as the bus is full of tourists who knew as much as I did - zilch. We had a sweet guide who gave a neat performance.the kids will enjoy it too.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 08:44 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice especially the details from Chevy Chasen.

Grinisa - Regards to Church of San Clemente not having catacombs, I guess I was thinking they are both underground. Since you have been to both (and have been with kids) are they different enough that we should try to see both? Someone else had suggested we do one or the other. What is your opinion??

Any more opinions are appreciated!
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 09:55 AM

jgg--if I had the time, I'd do both San Clemente and a catacomb. San Clemente is interesting for kids because of the three layers the church is built on and the temple to Mithras and ancient Roman house on the bottom level. There are no burial niches there. I still prefer San Sebastiano over San Caliso for catacombs, especially with children. It's smaller,less visited so waits for the English tour will be shorter and once you get to the level of the necropolis with the mausoleums and grafitti wall, it's like being in an ancient Roman cemetary. The guide we had gave a very interesting explanation of all the symbols on the graffiti wall.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 01:21 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Grinisa - Thank you so much! That is just the kind of info. I was looking for. We will be in Rome for 6 nights (5 full days - then off to Venice and Florence) so I am hoping we will be able to do both.

I have printed your Chills and Thrills in the Eternal City (from Slow Trav) as well as purchcasing Fodor's Around Rome with Kids and will use both as guides for what we will see.

We will also try to include Ostia Antica. My daughter is disappointed we won't be going to Pompeii (decided on Venice instead of Naples/Sorrento), but many people say Ostia Antica is an awesome substitute for not going down there.

So much to see, so little time, and we definitely want time to just soak in being there!!
Old May 14th, 2005, 06:42 AM

The catacombs of St. Priscilla on the Via Salaria are smaller and more intimate and less touristy.