rome - apartment question

Feb 27th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

rome - apartment question

Greetings,

I have been enjoying reading and learning so much. My husband, myself, and our two daughters, ages 13 and 10 are traveling to Rome in July of 07. We will be there on the tail end of a trip to Paris, then Jo'burg and then Rome - we have 4 nights in Rome. I believe I have found an apartment but just wanted to verify that the area is one that will make our short stay as enjoyable as possible.
We have never been - my husband is Italian and very excited about our stay.
This is the area - thank you in advance for any advice!
Campo dei Fiori area borders both Via Giulia and its Renaissance feel and Piazza Navona with its Baroque atmosphere. But although only 150 meters each way to these particular places, the area carries its own character that is like no other in Rome. Steeped in history and myth, it is not only one of the places to go as a visitor, but is also one of the favourite areas for the young Italians at night, making it a lively and trendy neighbourhood in historical Rome. It holds the great charm however, throughout the day and early evening. The area that the apartment is in is heavily associated with medieval times and crafts from that era onwards. All facilities such as grocery stores and other necessary goods are "at the doorstep", obviously with many restaurants, bars, and cafes.
Feb 27th, 2007, 08:25 AM
MaureenB

If you can post a link to the apartment, maybe some fodorites have stayed there and can comment on it.
>-

Feb 27th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

http://www.realrome.com/propcamporooftop.html

That makes sense
Feb 27th, 2007, 09:22 AM

The description of the area the apartment is located is dead on. It's the most charming area of Rome and is quite convenient to boot. Congrats!
Feb 27th, 2007, 09:22 AM

In general, this is a very, desirable area for a stay in Rome, a short walk from many sights and restaurants. Since no street name is mentioned, we can't warn you about street noise or the like
Feb 27th, 2007, 09:33 AM
MaureenB

The apartment looks very nice, especially with the private terrace and A/C.
>-

Feb 27th, 2007, 09:37 AM

RealRome is great to work with. Tim is a dear. The location is perfect! You will have a fabulous time there.
Feb 27th, 2007, 02:22 PM

When I look at the website, it appears that the apartment is directly on Campo dei Fiori, which raises questions about noise--lively nighttime scene is necessarily followed by early morning garbage collection and market set-up. I love the Campo area for its overall atmosphere and wonderful central location, but the square itself can be quite raucous. The website's text hints at this, so if noise might be a problem for you, it might be wise to ask whether the apartment's windows face toward Campo or away from it.
Feb 27th, 2007, 04:38 PM

I love the view from the terrace..

Campo di Fiori can be pretty noisy because is one of the favourite's hanging out of the Youth, but if your apartment have double pane windows it will minimize some of the noise.
Feb 27th, 2007, 04:40 PM

Another vote of confidence for both RealRome and the location. Good points about the possible noise factor, though; be sure to ask if you think this will be an issue for you.

Enjoy your trip!
Feb 28th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I went ahead and confirmed booking based on your fabulous feedback! I really appreciate it - now onto what to do in Rome .
Jul 7th, 2007, 03:16 AM

Dawnoelm:

Buongiorno! It appears you are in Italy as I write this.

I'm thinking about renting the same apartment...Campo Rooftop. When you get back, please let us know how you liked the apt. If you do it in a trip report, would you please put a link here so I can find you? Thanks.
Jul 7th, 2007, 04:28 AM

wow, that seems incredibly expensive for what looks such a small 1 bedroom apartment!
Jul 8th, 2007, 12:13 PM

doofus,

While that was helpful, it would be even more helpful if you could list some different apartments that are bigger/nicer and/or less expensive in the same sought-after Via Giulia/Campo Farnese/Campo dei Fiori neighborhood.
Jul 8th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Don't underestimate the air conditioning it's certainly worth a lot this hot summer, and it helps with the noise.
Jul 8th, 2007, 04:26 PM

We've stayed in that vicinity and its a great area! We were quite pleased. And the apartment looks positively lovely!

Tracy
Jul 9th, 2007, 06:59 AM

Sorry, my bad. I was just a little shocked at the site and prices that were available. It always makes me a little suspicious whenever prices are not clearly displayed or available on site and when it is not immediately clear the exact location of an apartment. Over 1300EURS for a 1 (small)bedroom apartment location unspecified around Campo dei Fiori or Piazza Navona? That's a large area to cover.

Here is where we stayed for half the price, 3 min walk to Campo dei Fiori and with balcony too.
http://www.romanreference.com/appart....php?refid=348

There is also this place,
http://www.romanreference.com/appart....php?refid=106
3 bedrooms, 3 times the size of one from real rome and the same price.
Jul 14th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Jean,

yes, I was in Italy - and I did not end up in that apartment. I became concerned about the bedding situation and switched a real 2 bedroom so my daughters would not be sleeping on a pull out couch.
I ended up in the Spanish Steps area - but would have prefered the Campo Dei Fiori after visiting there for shopping and lunch.
Have a wonderful trip!
Jul 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM
sjj

I suggest finding out if the renter will accept a charge card. If not, find out if you can pay for the apartment using travelers' check. I'd also find out if the apartment has a phone. If not, you may have to do some work on international cell phone calling.