Rome apartment location suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a hard time deciding on where to stay in Rome for the upcoming 5 day stay. I'm torn between the historical city center ( Piazza Navona, Pantheon, and Trevi Fountain) and the Vatican neighborhood. We are a large group, consisting of 5 adults and 3 young children. Ideally we would like to stay within walking distance to most of the major attractions. Most of the apartments close to the Vatican are usually less expensive and larger than the ones in the historical part, but I'm not sure if being close to Vatican means having to take public transportation to all of the other sites. Thank you in advance for all your suggestions.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 06:27 PM

With three young kids I'd stay in the historical center. Presumably you'll need more than one apartment. If you stay too far out, you'll spend all your time getting the group organized and traveling to and from. Much better to be able to walk right outside and see something and be nearby if you have to run back to the apartment. I wouldn't worry too much about the size of the apartments. There are lots of open spaces for the kids to run around outside.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 06:40 PM

Definitely the historic area or city centre-Vatican will have you using public transportation all of the time.
You don't necessarily have to be right in the center of the city as you could also look at the western side of Termini on Via Nationale which has alot to offer and is sometimes cheaper OR even go across the river to Trastevere which is a real neighborhood and just use the trams to go back and forth across the river.
I am leaving tomorrow again to Rome for work-will try and save some wine for you?
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 06:50 PM

What about near the Colosseum?

Trastevere?

Are you getting transportation passes? Riding the tram from Trastevere across the river was pretty simple.
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all your suggestions. I found one nice apartment in Via Nazzionale. Is that a good area to stay in?
What is the transportation pass and where do I get one?
Thanks again
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 05:11 AM

I assume this is a VACATION, no??

Spend the 10-20% premium and get an apartment(s) in the historical center - make up for it later in life by skipping a restaurant meal once or twice in the next few years.

My two cents, FWIW...
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 05:17 AM

Via Nazzionale is OK, somewhat central, not as charming as some areas, perfectly safe. The Pizza Venezia end is slightly better than the Piazza Republica end. You could do worse. You could also spend a tad more and do better.
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

The apartment is located on the corner of Via Nazzionale and Via 24 Maggio. The cost is 280 euro per night for a family of 8. It is a spacious 3 bedroom. Is that a good deal?
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 01:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi ksniegoc,

the good news is that it IS down the piazza Venezia end and that it's a very good price for 8 people. you will be within walking distance of the forum, the campidogia, the colosseum, the pantheon, the trevi fountain...

the bad news is that you will spend a lot of time on the no 40 and 64 buses going down to the campo dei fiori, the piazza navona, the Vatican. that's what we did when we rented an apartment just off the via nazionale. I'm not sure that I'd want to be doing that with a party of 8, including 3 young children.

IMHO paying a bit more and staying nearer to the piaza navona would be a better choice.
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Five adults and three young kids. Have you thought about splitting up into two apartments just to get a bit more space and privacy?

In any case, if the children are very small, then I think staying as central as the budget allows will make things easier for your group. However, the location you list above wouldn't bother me personally at all and I wouldn't need or want to get on a bus to go anywhere. But I am a BIG walker and in my normal life run about 5 miles each morning. So that's where I'm coming from. I like that area, too, though I have never stayed there.

What is the top you all can pay and perhaps people can make suggestions?
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

I was hoping to stay under 300 euros per night. What complicates things is that we arrive late at night (past midnight) and some apartment owners won't even let us in at that time. I also looked into splitting us up into two separate apartments but the cost would be much higher than we can afford. Thank you for all your suggestions.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 05:27 AM

I think the location is great. It's an easy walk to the forum, Colosseum and piazza Venezia. It's on a bus line. Piazza Navona is about a mile walk, and the train station is just under a mile. You might check hotel reviews for that area to get an idea what it's like. Three bedrooms for that price in that area, I would take it. Check the area out on google earth.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 07:44 AM

I agree - having gotten more info, the apartment on Via Nazzionale is probably your best option. I would take it and move on to other planning details . You'll do just fine there.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for helping me make a decision. I decided to reserve the apartment on Via Nazzionale - it has enough room for everyone and is in a great location. Thanks again everyone!
Can someone respond to my earlier question regarding the transportation pass? Someone suggested I get one, but I'm not sure where or if it's worth it for 5 days.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 09:16 AM

There are one-day (4 Euro), three-day (11 Euro) and weekly (16 Euro) passes. Children under 10 travel free. A one-way ticket costs 1 Euro.

You'll probably use public transport at least twice a day, to and from your hotel. If you think you might return to the hotel during the day, it's worth your while.

They're sold wherever tickets are sold: some newsstands and tobacco shops and all Metro stations.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 05:59 PM

If I remember right, the Roma Pass (available at museums etc.) includes transportation and museum entries. But that may not be an issue with the young children, who may be free or low-cost.

The 64 bus is usually very crowded and a hangout for pickpockets, so go prepared.

The Navona and Campo de Fiori are big for nightlife so you may not spend that much time there with little ones. Where you are is closer to the Forum and Palatine Hill, which are like a playground for children. And there's an amazing McDonald's near the Trevi!
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 04:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Where you are is closer to the Forum and Palatine Hill, which are like a playground for children.>>

the forum is no longer free - it's included in the ticket with the palatine hill and colosseum. so if it ever was a children's evening playground, it isn't now.

on the day we went to the colosseum, we ended up having lunch at this restaurant, in the streets between the colosseum and san pietro in vincoli/via cavour. it was very good, with friendly service, and great wine by the glass on special offer:

osteria il Bocconcino, via ositlia 23, Roma.

it would be easily walkable from your apartment. you could also try some of the restaurants in the via dei serpenti [runs between via nazionale and the colosseum]. we stayed on that street when we stayed in Rome the first time, and the whole area is very interesting with local-type trattoria, craft shops, delis, a great gelateria, etc. etc.
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again for all your wonderful suggestions.