Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome & Positano - Tours, Restaurants, Etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody-
I've learned a ton from searching old messages, but wanted to ask one of my own...
We're starting out honeymoon in Rome for three nights (Hotel Imperiale), then Positano for five nights (Covo dei Saraceni).

Would you have recommendations for tours, restaurants, particular must-sees?

Also, what places around Positano should we try to get to? We were thinking Capri and Ravello - another others not-to-miss?

We're swamped with wedding planning (2 weeks and counting) but are afraid of getting there w/o anything set. Thanks so much!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 10:12 AM

For restaurants in Rome, pick up a book called "Great Eats in Italy" by Sandra Gustafsson (sp?). I used her book and each place was outstanding. She tends to recommend trattorias and familia owned places with atmosphere, instead of fancy five star places. In Venice, do not miss Da Vicenzo which is a trattoria near the Poseidon hotel. Wonderful, great atmosphere and casual. While in Positano, definitely go to Ravello for a relaxing few hours. We took the bus but if the boats are running, I think it's a better idea to take a boat to Amalfi and then the short bus ride up to Ravello. Have a great time;it's the most beautiful place to honeymoon.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 10:47 AM

Don't miss Paestum when you are in Positano - the best preserved Greek ruins outside of Greece! Beautiful temples...
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 03:13 PM

Hey...we are getting married and honeymooning in Italy too! We leave Sept 1st...we are getting married in Positano on the 10th. Congrats!
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 09:42 AM

Just back from Positano. Several lovely restaurants. Yhe ones on the beach tend to be the most expensive and not necessarily the best. Around the cliff from Covo dei Saraceni about a 6/7 minute walk there is a little place called Il Guarracino - lovely place, unpretentious , lovely quiet setting overlooking the sea at night. Also some very nice places up in Montepertuso above Positano. there is the local bus which goes up there, but most of the restaurants will send a car to your hotel and bring you back - great service! I am sure your hotel could phone for you. The one we went to was Il ritrovo. Not cheap, but a fabulous meal with nice service and some nice little "freebie" touches. The other highly recomended one was La Tagliata.