Praiano or Positano?

Search

Praiano or Positano?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Praiano or Positano?

Staying for three nights as part of my honeymoon. Please tell me which would be best.

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:35 PM

What do you like to do? How do you envision your honeymoon? Full of shopping, great restaurants, etc? Quiet with a lot or relaxation? We need more information to help you
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 06:59 PM

I chose Praiano over Positano for my honeymoon a couple years ago in an effort to save money. I was disappointed. We ended up spending all our time in Positano anyway, and with cab fares back and forth, probably did not save anything after all. There is just not a lot to do or see in Praiano.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 01:29 AM

Hi Honey - I'd definitely choose Positano

Steve
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

We are looking to possibly take one of those boats that takes you through the coast and lets you swim...we want to have fun! We also want some great restaurants.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:39 AM

Positano has more to do, more restaurants, etc.
Prianao will be quieter and more secluded.
I have not stayed in Praiano - though I did visit, and it was charming.
We stayed 5 days in Positano for our honeymoon, and were very happy with our location. It was easy to catch a bus to anyplace along the coast, we made daytrips to Amalfi, Ravello and Pompeii. We walked to dinner in Postiano each night, and were treated to lovely views and interesting people watching.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:40 AM

Oh right - and if you want to take a boat trip - we stayed at the Albergo Miramare. They offer a FREE boat trip with a stay at the hotel. It was a fantastic time, (probably only a few hours) but gave us the opportunity to go swimming, a bit of snorkeling and views of the cliffs. They even provided fresh fruit and wine on the trip! Fantastic!!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:47 AM

Hi honey,
I would support other opinions suggesting Positano too. Praiano is really a boring place, may be after few hours you would catch the first bus to Positano. Usually tourists choose that place just to save money, but, as someone said, you will spend a lot just about transportation. Feel free to ask for more, I am a frequent tourist there.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

We had reserved at Hotel Margharite and we have a car. Not sure if driving to Positano is a good idea or if we should just forget Praiano and stay at Positano. Can you please suggest some good hotels in Positano with great views but not over 200Euros a night?
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 08:15 AM

Honey, did you do a search for Amalfi coast hotels and for Positano hotels? There have been a lot of recent threads on this subject; what month are you traveling? I think you will be happier in Positano.

Take at look at Villa Rosa and La Rosa dei Venti. I've not stayed in either but they look good.

http://www.larosadeiventi.net/

This place also gets lots of good reports:

http://www.ondaverde.it/hoteli.htm
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their help. I am really thinking that Praiano is not the right place. Can you please send more suggesting for Positano that are not too pricey...Somewhere under $200USD
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:33 PM

Id be interesting in hearing what the people recommending Positano found to do there, other than shopping.

Choices really depend on what the visitor wants to do, how laid back they want to be, etc. Do you want to spend your holiday in a deck chair or on a beach, enjoying a village atmosphere (I believe there are a couple of well respected restaurants in Praiano) maybe travelling a little bit to sample the rest of the area, or be in a bustling cosmopolitan town?

If you have to be in a crowd one of the bigger towns (Positano, Amalfi) are the place to be. If you like a more restful atmosphere (always keeping the alternative to visit the bigger places, which is easy) places like Praiano, Nocello, Ravello etc are a better choice.

People are really going to differ on this - there are people who post on this board who found Ravello boring (nothing to do, they said) - we enjoyed three wonderful days there, hiking all over the hills and down to Amalfi/Atrani and coming back to our lovely serene base. Different strokes, truly.