Rome-Amalfi Coast

Old Nov 11th, 2019, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome-Amalfi Coast

We are going to visit our daughter in Rome from Nov 26-Dec 3. We purchased a package that includes a car and a hotel in Vico Equense (doesn't seem to far from Sorrento and Pasitano)
27th-Dec 1st. Daughter doesn't think we need that much time there....thoughts? We have heard it is crazy to drive the Amalfi Coast. Are we okay driving from Rome to Vico Equense? We are open to changing hotels too! Does anyone have ideas on drivers vs trains/buses? Must sees? Help with what to bring? Winter coat or just rain/light coat?
Then we have 2 nights in Rome! We should have hired someone to plan our trip LOL. DIdn't want to do a tour as we'd rather flexible time with our daughter.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 05:43 PM

I don't think that time period is ideal for visiting the Amalfi Coast as many places close up during that season. Why not just stay in Rome or add Florence?
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 06:05 PM
kja

Originally Posted by Jerseygirlof3
Are we okay driving from Rome to Vico Equense?
Immediately after a flight that crosses time zones? NO! Driving after crossing time zones is just as dangerous to yourself -- and others -- as driving drunk, and there is absolutely nothing you can do to reduce the risk except wait at least a day before trying to drive. Caffeine won't help, sleeping on the plane won't help, nothing helps. And you might not even notice the microsleeps that are responsible for the risk, so feeling OK is no guarantee.

Then we have 2 nights in Rome!
Two nights in Rome is very little for that city, where many people spend 5 or 6 nights just to see a limited set of the highlights on a first visit. You might want to spend all your time there, perhaps with just a day trip or two.

Must sees?
A good guidebook would likely prove of enormous value, and the cost will be nugatory in comparison to the cost of your trip. It will cover the things that are typically part of a tourist's itinerary, as well as all sorts of things you'd probably never think to ask. It will also cover local norms (when / how much to tip, what behaviors to avoid or engage in), a few helpful words, specialties of the local cuisines, etc.
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 02:19 AM

You definitely shouldn't drive right after flying, especially not somewhere like the Amalfi Coast if you're unfamiliar with that kind of territory. That said, it surely won't be full of traffic the way it is in summer because few people would choose to go there that time of year except locals. I wouldn't even bother with it, frankly; it will be half-dead. Can you get your money back from that tour? It was a bad idea.

I would forget the AC and stay in Rome. Two nights is barely enough time in that city to learn to find your way from your hotel to breakfast.

Check the weather forecasts right before you leave and decide what to bring. In general, it's shaping up to be a cold winter in southern Europe, so come prepared.
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 04:29 AM

I would recommend that you should go to Vico Equense from Rome by train because the train journey is quite safe and cheap. You can book train online in advance.
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 05:25 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
We have heard it is crazy to drive the Amalfi Coast. Are we okay driving from Rome to Vico Equense? We are open to changing hotels too! Does anyone have ideas on drivers vs trains/buses?
If you decide to go to the Amalfi coast, we used a wonderful private driver recommended to me years ago by LoveItaly. He was fabulous and will customize your day trip -
sorrento car service Francesco Marrapese Sorrento private driver

But I agree with the others. You should not be driving right after your flight and I would not drive the Amalfi Coast personally.

I also agree that your time would be better spent in Rome, especially at that time of year. I would switch hotels to one in Rome. If you want to take day trips, there are dozens of vendors providing options.

The majority of posters on these forums plan their own trips. That's not unusual. Reading a guidebook and spending time reading threads on this forum can help you prepare. Enjoy Rome!