Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The most romantic on Amalfi Coast???....Capri,Amalfi or Ravello?..hotel suggestions?

Search

The most romantic on Amalfi Coast???....Capri,Amalfi or Ravello?..hotel suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 1998, 01:56 PM
Elsa

Planning a honeymoon trip to the Amalfi Coast but we're uncertain about which of these great cities to pick. Hotel suggestions would be greatly appreciated too.....thanks everyone.

Old Jul 22nd, 1998, 02:23 PM
Gabi

Wow! what a great problem to have! You've selected some of my favorite places in the world. If you're choosing between these three, I would select to stay in Amalfi. However, i'd also consider Sorrento if you have the choice as I did this a few years ago and it's a gorgeous little town and within easy travel distance to all the other spots. We took a boat over to Capri for the day - simply breathtaking...make sure you ride the chair lift to the very top of the island. I also took a boat to Amalfi one day and a bus another day. If you have a car it's all very close. I would definitely recommend Sorrento as a destination and we stayed in a delightful hotel overlooking the ocean which was not too pricey considering the location. Unfortunately i can't remember the name but if you're researching the area and find some names let me know as I'd probably recognize it. It's a great little town for wandering around - and they have wonderful gelato too! Good luck - i know you'll have a wonderful experience.

Old Jul 22nd, 1998, 02:52 PM
Richard Vicek

Good evening, Elsa <BR># 1 choice would be the Europa Palace up in Anacapri, second would be Sorrento probably the <BR>Michealangelo, both are pricey, but..... <BR>Richard and Marion Vicek of Hickory Hills. IL

Old Jul 22nd, 1998, 03:31 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Elsa, I wish I knew if you were driving and your <BR>budget range to answer well. However, I would pick <BR>Positano as the most romantic and it is well located <BR>to visit the others. Ravello is too hard to get up <BR>to---my wife found a new vocabulary--Capri is too <BR>isolated, and Sorrento is a good compromise but dull <BR>compared to Positano. Try the Casa Albertina for a <BR>3 star budget, but the Posiedon for a 4 star. You <BR>can find a web page for either if you go search. <BR>You will love the entire Amalfi coast--wonderful.

Old Jul 22nd, 1998, 03:50 PM
JT Stanton

Hi! I stayed at the Hotel Ceasar Augustus on Capri for three days many moons ago and it was beautiful, romantic AND CHEAP (although I was there in October)! The food was very good, too, and the wine was $2.00 USD per bottle, but I guess that dates me a bit... Have a great time! Jennifer

Old Jul 22nd, 1998, 07:29 PM
travlin'1

I agree with Bob. Definitely go to Positano. I was there last year. We had a car and drove the Amalfi coast. We stayed in Sorrento which was very nice (at the Parco dei Principe) and also in Positano (Hotel Poseidon) Positano was spectacular and a very romantic spot. We had a suite which I believe was $280. Also another romantic hotel is the Sireneuse. I think it is more expensive but again if you spend much time in the hotel, it is definitely worth it. Capri is nice but to go anywhere you need to take a boat. Amalfi was wonderful also. I took a look at the Santa Christina with its beautiful terraced gardens, elevator down to the sea and gorgeous ceramic tiled floors and would stay here the next time I go back. Have a fabulous time!

Old Jul 23rd, 1998, 01:03 AM
joelle

I would recommend both Capri and Positano. Sorrento is very busy, Amalfi and Ravello are also nice, but the first two places have my preference in terms of views and location.

Old Jul 23rd, 1998, 03:20 AM
francesca

We were there for our honeymoon in April/May and stayed at the Cappucini Covento in Amalfi <BR>(they have a web site). Amalfi is nice, but Positano <BR>is a bit nicer. Capri is a great place for a long weekend but too isolated for a week's stay. My personal favorite was Ravello--yes, it's a bit out of the way, but I found it was the most romantic and interesting of all the towns we visited. Feel free to email me for more info. <BR>

Old May 10th, 2019, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi

I vote for Amalfi with a day trip to Revelo. The hotel we stayed in on two different trips was Hotel Residence. It overlooks the ocean and is a very nice hotel.
Old May 10th, 2019, 02:00 PM

Hotel Sirenuse in Positano hands down, but it'll cost you....... There is another right near it that might be a more reasonable, also 5-star which name escapes me at moment. We met a young couple at Chez Black in Positano in September who return there every year for their anniversary. Their wedding and subsequent visits have all been while at the Poseidon, also in Positano.
Old May 10th, 2019, 02:26 PM

Thinking of Capri? Think Twice...Crowds and Trash Galore

An interesting enlightening article on Capri - spots that are super crowded and ones that are not:

Ravello is popular because it is high up with sweeping views of coast - but a small quiet town - dogs were sleeping in main square when I was there - but that was ten years ago - maybe the town is a lot busier now.

But if it were I I would go for an Amalfi the town or Positano or any town on the coast - to me relaxing is nicer on a beach or sitting and people watching. I'd like to be on the water not a place really high above it. I really liked Amalfi as a town and port - Positano is on a steep hill going down to the seafront area.

You can't go wrong on amalfi but Capri I'd say unless you know where you are staying won't be elbow-elbow with day trippers - plenty of places not so mobbed.
Old May 10th, 2019, 02:41 PM

Albergo La Minerva on Capri is lovely. They have a variety of rooms, some with balcony so prices are different depending on which one. It's small, family run place, easy walk to center of town. We were very happy there. You don't mention how long your trip is so maybe you can do two locations?
Old May 10th, 2019, 02:54 PM

Since this was posted in 1998, the OP has long since returned from her trip, even though she never returned to read what others wrote to her. Please note dates on posts.