Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Second-guessing Amalfi Coast Accommodations! Would Positano or Ravello, then Capri, be better than Sorrento?

Search

Second-guessing Amalfi Coast Accommodations! Would Positano or Ravello, then Capri, be better than Sorrento?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in the Amalfi Coast area for a week in June (following a week in Rome) with my two kids, ages 9 and 11 (both seasoned travelers). After some initial research, it seemed that Sorrento would be the best "base" for seeing Pompeii, Herculaneum, Paestum, Capri, Positano, etc. Now I'm having second thoughts. Should I stay in Capri a couple of nights, then maybe in either Ravello or Positano for the other 5? I don't want to stay in Sorrento just because it's central, if it is not in itself a desireable place to be. We won't be having big nights out, but we do want to be in a fun area in the evenings, for walking about, dining, etc. We're currently booked at a nice place in Sorrento, with a pool, which would be fun for the kids between sight-seeing. However, I'm concerned I might find I've missed out on getting a true feel for the area by not staying in one or two of the more desireable locations. Any thoughts? (Budget flexible, up to about 200-300 Euro or so a night if necessary.)
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:40 PM

Ravello is verrrry verrrrry sleepy. It's meant to be that way. I think your kids would have much more fun in Sorrento with the pool, plus Ravello is a very difficult town to get in and out of for day trips.

Likewise Capri. Make it a day trip.

Sorrento gets a lot of package tours, which your kids are not likely to care about. I would keep your Sorrento reservation as a base for 4 nights, and take day trips to Pomepeii, Herculaneunm, and Capri. And just enjoy Sorrento for one day.

Then you *might* consider Amalfi instead of Positano. Amalfi has a central piazza, and the fishing village of Atrani nearby (with a beach I believe). I suspect Amalfi is more kid-friendly than either Positano or Ravello. You could take the bus up to Ravello for lunch and admire the views. (Although don't let the kids stuff themselves and don't leave immediately after lunch. The roads are so twisting, they could easily lose their lunch coming back down.)

How are you planning to get to Paestum? It might most easily be done by bus from Amalfi.

But all that said, if Sorrento wasn't right next to the Amalfi coast, it would probably be considered one of the most beautiful locations in Italy, with its sweeping bay and lemon trees.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 07:12 PM

Positano is spectacular-- great for you and your wife, but not so great for kids. It's a famous honeymoon/couples destination. Also, it's a city of stairs, so you have to be prepared to do a lot of climbing back and forth to wherever you're going. My kids didn't really like that aspect so much, particularly in the 90 degree heat two summers ago!

Anyway, I think you're better off basing in Sorrento. Although it can feel like tour bus central in the summer, it does have flatter streets for walking, and a lovely old town with plenty of great restaurants and shops to explore. There's also a beautiful marina where artists set up for the day.
Plus, it has excellent transportation connections to Capri, Pompeii, and many of the Amalfi Coast towns.

So my advice would be to keep your reservation as is, and day trip to the other locales on your itinerary. Have a great time!

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:42 PM

I actually concur with that advice, and would only advise decamping for Amalfi if you really worry about having buyer's remorse. Sorrento's historic center is underrated and you and your kids will find more to explore than you will in any of the Amalfi towns, who are so much geared to selling designer clothes to women and limoncello.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 05:17 AM
ira

Hi TT,

I agree with the above. If you have a nice hotel with a pool, stay in Sorrento.

You can also visit Naples.

You might find the AC part of my trip report helpful, although we stayed in Praiano.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 06:06 AM

I love Sorrento - it is probably one of my favorite places in Italy - though that is a difficult label as I love most villages/cities. It is a great base for your exploration. I read recently on here that someone thought it was too touristy which surprised me as it has never felt that way to me. I love Ravello also, but I would likely hang in Sorrento and do your day trips.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 06:06 AM

I agree with the other posters, but you might, MIGHT want to consider one night on Capri. It kind of depends on what your kids like and like to do.

I know that my daughter at that age (9 or 11) would have enjoyed seeing a magical place like Capri at night, if for no other reason than to have a coca-cola al fresco on the piazza (while I was having a glass of limoncello) or walking down the streets past the boutiques of famous shops.

And you can certainly find a nice hotel on Capri at that cost - we were in a very nice hotel (La Minerva) at a cost of 270 Euros/night, but there were many others somewhat less than that (and others that were LOTS more than that).

KC
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. I feel much better about our decision to stay in Sorrento. Thanks!
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 02:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I too like Sorrento. Consider adding a hydrofoil trip to Naples for a day. Lots to see, especially the archeological museum which houses all the treasures from Pompeii and Herculanseum.