One day in Amalfi Coast - Capri or drive along the Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:29 AM
pg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day in Amalfi Coast - Capri or drive along the Amalfi Coast

Following is a part of our itinerary in March 2005:
Saturday - Arrive into Pompeii by 11am (after a 5-day driving tour of Tuscany and Umbria) by a rented car.

Option 1:
Sunday - Drive along the AC, making short stops in Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano. Overnight in one of these towns.
Monday - Drive to Rome.

Option 2:
Sunday - Return the car in Naples or Sorrento. Day trip to Capri. Overnight in Naples/ Sorrento.
Monday - Train to Rome

It is likely that we (including 2 young kids) would not be coming back to Italy for several years, so I request help in making a choice that I wouldn't regret.

I think the water grotto and funicular would intrigue the kids. I am interested in capturing the view from the top, but is it really going to be that different from the AC drive.

Would we be better of if we sample the AC instead catching some breath-taking views in this process. That way we keep the car and don't have to deal with transfers to the ferry and train.

Please help.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:36 AM

In March the ferries might not be running to Capri depending on the weather.
If you drive along the coastal road there is really no need to stop in Sorrento, why not just drive down to Positano, spend the night and then drive back up to Roma.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:38 AM

PS: Saturday afternoon after Pompeii you can drive to Positano. You don't mention where you are staying Sat night.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Option 2: The ferries are usually not running in March. So you would have to take the boat from Naples to Capri if you choose Option 2.

Capri is absolutely beautiful and worth the effort to get there. Also, keep in mind that the waters can be high and/or choppy and that the boats don't go to the Blue Grotto under those conditions.

Option 1 appears to me to be more relaxing, especially after driving from Tuscany and spending the afternoon walking Pompeii. Since you already have the car, you could easily visit a couple of towns along the AC, have a relaxing lunch, do a little shopping. And then the next day, you would just drop off your car at the airport in Rome.

Also, in March, there is much less traffic along the AC and driving is not as hectic and the roads are not crowded.

I would go with the option that you have your heart set on visiting.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 05:08 PM

If you choose to do the Amalfi coast, and you'll go there from Pompei, consider following this itinerary:
When in Pompei take highway A3 towards Salerno (it is a different entrance than the one near the archaeological site!), and get off after few miles in Angri. Then make a left and follow directions to Ravello. Before getting there you'll drive through the scenic and very quiet road in the "Valico di Chiunzi". I suggest stopping in Ravello (1000 feet above the sea level), visit villa Cimbrone (breathtaking views), and from there drive down to Amalfi, then Positano and finally Sorrento. In March Sorrento will be a more lively place to stay, more hotels and restaurant open and a better place from which to start your trip to Rome. Plus I live in Sorrento ;-).
Hope this can help, have fun!