Search

Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast

First time visiting The Amalfi Coast. Thinking about three nights each in Sorrento, Capri and Positano.
Is each of these areas different enough to warrant staying in? Would it be better to either add a whole other area (Rome, Naples?) to the trip or just stay in Positano (or Ravello) and Capri. Is three days too long in Capri? Appreciate your advice.
Going with my husband. Love great views, boating, good food, beaches, shopping and history.
Old May 20th, 2014, 04:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What time of year?

I would love 9 nights in the area. But what I would do with my time may be different than your plans, so it's impossible to know whether 3 days anywhere is "too long" or, conversely, too short. For example, I might spend 2 nights on Capri to give more time for things seen from Positano and Sorrento, but you might prefer what Capri has to offer. You need to decide on your own general sightseeing plan and then decide how to allocate the days/nights.

Besides Capri, some sights/places in Campania that we've really enjoyed: Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples (lots to see), Caserta, Monte Faito (cable car from Castellammare di Stabia on the Circumvesuviana), Paestum, Amalfi, Ravello, hiking on the Sorrentine Peninsula.
Old May 20th, 2014, 11:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorrento and Positano are only 30 minutes apart by road (no train connection) and too close to each other to warrant moving hotels etc. Having said that, it's easier to get to Pompeii and Naples from Sorrento via the local Circumvesuviana train. If you're there in summer, then Capri is best seen when the daytrippers and cruise excursionists have left. I assume that you are going when it's warm, due to your reference to beaches?

Positano and the AC in general offers great views, good food, wonderful boat trips, varied shopping, so-so beaches. From Positano you can either hire a car and get to Pompeii and then explore the rest of the Amalfi coast (difficult when it's really busy due to traffic volume, difficulty in parking). You can take a ferry over to Capri from Positano in the summer months.
Old May 21st, 2014, 02:20 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Sorrento is like Amalfi Coast Lite. Easier to get to & from & easier to see Pompeii etc but it is NOT the Amalfi Coast. In my mind. Ravello & Capri are stunning but they are more for ‘sit on your butt’ time rather than an active vacation due to their relative remoteness.

Ian
Old May 21st, 2014, 03:18 AM

My personal favourite is Amalfi town. It is a charming town with a beautiful market, a magnificent cathedral, a fine beach and a lot of historical significance.

In any case, rent a car - at least for a day. Driving the scenic coastal road is THE main attraction of the Amalfi coast. Also, a car is a convenient way to get to Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius.

On other days, you can take the boat.

I personally do not like Capri too much - it is crowded by cruise ship tourists and full of Gucci and Hérmes boutiques. For us, a daytrip by boat from Amalfi was enough.

BTW, Positano town is also very touristy. Most hotels are out of town, on the steep coast like blisters.

We liked this hotel in Amalfi: www.lunahotel.it
Old May 21st, 2014, 03:21 AM

This is the hotel near Positano where I once stayed (to give you an impression of a typical hotel on the coast):
www.saraceno.it
Old May 21st, 2014, 03:42 AM
WWK

The answer depends on your travel style, and what you like to do. We loved Naples, but it is a bustling city with lots to see and do, very close to Pompeii and home to Mt. Vesuvius.

If you're looking only to relax and enjoy incredible scenery, split your time between Positano and Capri. I'd suggest more days in Positano than Capri, unless you're heavy into shopping for such luxe items as Gucci sunglasses.

We really love this hotel: www.hotelposeidon.it, but there are many others in all price ranges. If you post your budget, we can all post more recommendations.

Lastly, if you are going THIS summer, you need to decide ASAP. You may find very limited availability, since most hotels get booked months ahead.
Old May 21st, 2014, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

I know I need to decide asap. Thinking six nights in Positano (or three Positano and three Sorrento) and three on Capri. Would like to stay under $500USD per night. I don't want anything too remote and would love fantastic views of the sea.
Grazie!
Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:51 AM
ekc

I agree with the 6 nights in Positano. If you are open to renting an apartment (since you will be there for a week) I can highly recommend www.villalesirene.com if it is available.

Your $500 equals roughly 325 euros. Depending on when you are traveling, Hotel Poseidon may or may not be in your budget. If you can afford it, I would also highly recommend it.

You can search for hotels by price at www.venere.com
Old May 22nd, 2014, 11:07 AM

But have you decided on your sightseeing plans? IMO, Positano is lovely if you just want to explore only the AC towns, but it's too far from Naples for a day trip. Definitely too far for Caserta. Pompeii and Herculaneum would be long day trips, esp. in summer when traffic is bad and temps are high.

FYI, the views from Positano and Sorrento are very different.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 04:16 PM
WWK

JBeth,

If you're interested in seeing Pompeii, you could spend one night on the way back to Rome in Naples. Take a look around a fascinating city and spend half a day in Pompeii. Then take the fast train to Rome ( 70 minutes) next day.

And while I agree that the views in Sorrento and Positano are different, I don't see the point of basing in both places. They are only 30 minutes apart by car; 45 by boat; and Positano is hands down more beautiful and charming.

HOWEVER... if you are going this summer, it may all come down to what's available in any of these cities/towns.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:31 PM

I would go with your 3/3/3 idea. All three are different experiences and should not be rushed in order to be appreciated. We were in Capri for a week and would happily have stayed another. It's a lovely island, with lots to do other than shopping. Other than a few hours on the beach, I don't think we ever sat around. Day trips to Pompeii, Naples and Caserta are easily done from Sorrento, which is interesting in its own right. And Positano is different again, tumbling down a cliff on the most stunning section of the coast, with easy access to Ravello and Amalfi.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:23 AM

I think the choice of 3/3/3 days is excellent.
In this way you can live by these locations like an insider without having to run.
Capri regains the charm of "La Dolce Vita" in the evening, when the daytrippers go off the island.
Capri hotels have almost all sea view rooms.

While in Positano I love www.positano.com/en/c/casa-buonocore
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:34 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
>Positano is lovely if you just want to explore only the AC towns, but it's too far from Naples for a day trip

Not really. The parking around Pompeii is only just over an hour - if you skip the coast crawl & hop over the mountain via SS366 at Conca dei Marini. I drove that route 3 times & by the 2nd & 3rd, I was actually enjoying it.

But obviously not applicable for the OP . . .

Ian
Old May 24th, 2014, 09:00 AM

With a car, everything's "possible," but I wouldn't drive into Naples if you paid me.