first time in europe

May 24th, 2014, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

first time in europe

I have no experience in travelling alone. Suggest me which countries and cities should i visit, accommodations atleat for a month/location and best time to visit them. Not for typical tourisim,but to see the actual culture of european countries.
May 24th, 2014, 03:46 AM

You will have to select an area of a country if you really want to see the culture. This kind of travel need takes a lot of time as you have to mingle with the locals. Some of them will not understand you (like rural italy and rural Paris)

Be nice to everyone you meet - you are in their country, not yours!

If you can be more specific about an area of a country, I might be able to give you my findings
May 24th, 2014, 03:51 AM

Cities are generally the place where people are busy and while there may be high-art you are unlikely to meet many people or interact with many in a large city. I suggest staying in a smaller town or village and you need to join in with what is on. Hence something with festivals going on on a regular basis and a vibrant town activity.

Next we need to know what languages you speak as smaller places will have fewer English speakers (except Ireland, Uk, Holland) and also which European culture, the people of Greece are very different from Icelanders.
May 24th, 2014, 03:55 AM

<< Not for typical tourisim,but to see the actual culture of european countries. >>

Tourist sights are part of the culture of any place in Europe, just as they are in your home country. The Eiffel Tower is a tourist sight but also part of the French culture as it was built for the 1889 Exposition.

You'll have to be more specific as to what you mean by culture.
May 24th, 2014, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

I can speak German; so only Germany, Liechtenstein, Austria and Switzerland.

By culture i mean the actual lifestyle of common people.
May 24th, 2014, 04:49 AM

"Common people" - ugh. What are you, a princess? And the citizens of the countries you are visiting are not a tourist sight.
May 24th, 2014, 04:56 AM

thursdaysd - I don't think English is the OP's native language so we need to be a bit forgiving with the language.

If you only speak German then you need to go to the countries you've specified and find a family to live with rather than staying in a hotel or apartment. Engage in local activities. I would not find this interesting as I'm sure the average person's daily routine is not much different than mine.

Find some type of cultural exchange tour group.

You could take a language course for a month where you live with a family.
May 24th, 2014, 05:03 AM

Remember: English is a "polite" language so please use the word "please" and some indirect wording so you don't come across wie einen Oberchef.
May 24th, 2014, 09:04 AM

The "actual lifestyle of the common people" involves doctor's appointments, boring meetings, grocery shopping, laundry, errands, taking out the garbage, feeding the pets, and all the mundane things people everywhere in the world do to get through the day. Hardly what the average traveler wants to occupy expensive vacation time with. I would suggest you get past the notion of "actual lifestyle" and resign yourself to the fact that you will be a stranger in a strange land and the locals aren't going to be particularly interested in you.

Do some research and find a small town somewhere close to some tourist attractions and hunker down for a month. By the end of that month if you've frequented a café or restaurant or stores enough times, people will perhaps have come to know and acknowledge you. Or stay with a family somewhere; that will provide you with an entrée into local social life if you're lucky.
May 24th, 2014, 09:27 AM

The "actual lifestyle of the common people" involves doctor's appointments, boring meetings, grocery shopping, laundry, errands, taking out the garbage, feeding the pets, and all the mundane things people everywhere in the world do to get through the day. Hardly what the average traveler wants to occupy expensive vacation time with. I would suggest you get past the notion of "actual lifestyle" and resign yourself to the fact that you will be a stranger in a strange land and the locals aren't going to be particularly interested in you.

Ain't that the truth.
May 24th, 2014, 10:04 AM

StCirq - - brilliant idea for a new tour company!!! If it's Tuesday, it must be the eye doctor, the recycling, a meeting of the neighborhood watch organization, and getting milk & rubber gloves at Lidl.