Last day in Marseille…safe parking???

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On our last day, we leave Saint Remy de Provence to catch our flight out of Marseille. Our flight leaves at 9pm, so what to do that day??? We are not planning any time on the coast, so this could be the day. I would like to drive to Marseille and have the "real" Bouillabaisse. Someone suggested on another forum to park in the Parking du Pharo and walk along the Mediterranean and have lunch at Chez Fonfon.

Is the Parking du Pharo monitored? We will have our rental car (which will probably say in bright red letters…"I'm a rental") with our luggage locked inside. I've heard that even with everything out of sight, there are still often break-ins. I don't want to end our trip with something like this happening.

Thanks for any insight.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:21 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't leave my luggage in a rental car anywhere unless I can keep my eye on it myself. Why not have your bouillabaisse another day and do things the last day that would be convenient for leaving your bags at your accommodation after you check out?
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I left my rental car at the Parking du Vieux Port for 2 days, and I felt it was quite secure (video surveillance, etc.) even though my luggage was in my hotel room. As long as your luggage is completely out of sight, there should be no problem.
Old May 24th, 2014, 12:10 AM

I've had a rental car in France more times than I can remember. If I have my luggage in it and I need to park, I try to find a wall I can reverse against, so it's difficult or impossible to open the trunk. I never leave anything in view, nothing at all.

I would advise booking Chez Fonfon in advance as they are very busy.
Old May 24th, 2014, 01:45 AM

I have been lucky in that I have only been robbed once in my life - guess where? Yes, France and from the boot of my car. Nearly ruined our holidays but I am far too resilient to let that spoil it. Be very careful.
Old May 24th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the assurance and suggestions. Odin, I think backing up against a wall is a great idea. I did make a reservation at Chez Fonfon, so that's taken care of.

Kerouac, is it possible that the garage will be full by noon the first of July? I assume that's a busy time. Is there another secure parking area? I always like to have a plan B!

MmePerdue, we are checking out of our hotel in Saint Remy…much too far to go back to retrieve!
Old May 24th, 2014, 07:56 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, so you said, and why I suggested visiting Marseille a different day when luggage wasn't an issue.
Old May 24th, 2014, 10:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
All of the underground parking lots of Marseille are in a constant state of flux, just like anywhere. If the lot has a "complet" sign, it will still allow cars to enter because at least 10 or 20 cars will leave within 10 minutes.