Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome-Albergo Santa Chiara or Hotel Ara Pacis??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After being cancelled at the last minute by Albergo Cesari, I am scrambling to find a quad room (2 adults/2 kids)for a moderate price (E180-220) in Rome in July. I have 2 reservations 1-at the Santa Chiara (E223)behind the Pantheon and 2- Ara Pacis (E160)near Castel Sant'Angelo. Which do I take?? Does anyone know these 2 hotels? Is the location the only difference? Is it okay to be across the river? I am so frustrated after having everything set up 8 months ago.
thanks for any advice.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 07:46 AM

I don't know either hotel from personal experience, but I would think a good part of the difference is location.

From the Ara Pacis, you can get - as the Web site says - fairly quickly to the Spanish Steps, but it will take you longer to get to the Pantheon, the Piazza Navona and the Campo de Fiori.

My personal preference is always to stay in the historical center rather than across the river.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Eloise
I agree that being in the center is better. I have kids age 8 and 10, so they will whine if we have to walk too far every day! There's just such a price diff. that I have to justify it to my husband!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:49 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Ara Pacis a few years ago, on our first trip to Rome. The hotel room was very nice and recently updated. It was the smallest room we've ever had in Europe. Not really a problem for us, but something to consider. The hotel is in an excellent location, and there are some good cafes right down the street.

That being said, my one and only complaint: the elevator was broken when we were there, and the hotel itself is on the third or fourth floor, and there are LOTS of stairs. It's exhausting to carry all of your bags up those stairs, and DH and I are in our 20's and in good shape, and nobody from the hotel offered to help. The elevator may be fixed by now, but from what I read on tripadvisor.com, the elevator had been "broken" for some time. This is something you may want to consider or find out before you book, especially since you will have two kids with you.

Tracy
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:50 AM

We've stayed at the Santa Chiara and were very happy there. The location can't be beat and the staff was friendly and helpful. The included breakfast was better than most and the breakfast room very pleasant. Our room was fine except for a very small shower enclosure, but we managed. Would we stay there again? Absolutely!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:55 AM

I should also mention that our room had a door onto a small shared balcony...very nice and may be fun for your kids!

Tracy
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:39 AM

If you do stay at the Ara Pacis and want to cut way down on the walking there are 4 buses that run right by that hotel.

The 87 bus from the street your hotel is on goes right by the Piazza Navona, Largo d. Torre Argentina, Piazza Venezia, the Roman Forum and the Colosseum.

The 70 bus follows the same route except after the Piazza Venezia it goes to Termini.

And there a couple of others, if you stay there pick-up a 'Roma Metro-Bus Map' 5.5e, the map is fairly easy to follow and will make getting around alot easier. Regards, Walter
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Wow-thanks for all the information. I have decided against Santa Chiara because they have confirmed all the stories I have read: they turn off the a/c at night. I could never take that in July. Ara Pacis sounds wonderful and not too bad as far as location. We have a quad at Residenza Canali ai Coronari (also no elevator) but it's 100E more per night. It's so hard to know if the quality is that much different. I just have to take a leap of faith and make a choice. Thanks for the bus info Walter, that makes the whining factor considerably less!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:03 PM

We have a similar family set up and are staying at the hotel del torre argentina at the end of june. Hoping for the best, but I believe they still have availablility if you want to check it out.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:37 PM

csabia, if the hotel is near del torre argentina, its a great location! Definitely check out Torre Agentina while you are there. It is a large excavated area with some very interesting buildings. It is also home of the Rome cat sanctuary so you will see cats lounging all over the place. DH and I don't have kids (but we are cat lovers!), but there were lots of families with kids pointing out the different cats they saw, so it will probably be a lot of fun for your family.

Tracy
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't quite sure about what happens at the cat place. It sounded like it could be a bit of a nuisance, but I'm glad to hear it's interesting.
The hotel itself looks ok. I was hoping it will be convenient so again, thanks for letting me know.
Here's the website if you ever get back there:

http://www.dellatorreargentina.com
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 01:04 PM

csabia, it shouldn't be a nuisance at all. The excavated ruins of Sacra Argentina are quite a big below ground level, so you look down a pretty good distance to see the ruins and the cats. They can't get out of the fence, and its a large area. The ruins themselves are worth the walk around the fence to look at.

The area is also very near Piazza Navona and the pantheon, there are great restaurants and cafes nearby, and lots of busses stop there so its easy to get around.

Thanks for the link! DH and I have been to Rome 3 times in the past 2 years, so we finally decided to give it a break for a little while, as much as we hate to! The hotel looks very nice and I think the location is great. You will have a great trip!

Tracy

Tracy