Rome airport to Sorrento to Florence to Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2014, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I are flying into the Rome airport the morning of 10/4. How do we get from the Rome airport to our hotel in Sorrento? What are the best travel options as we may be a little "fuzzy" after flying overnight! We plan on staying in Sorrento for 7 nights then going on to Florence for 6 nights. We'll go back to Rome from Florence the day before our return flight. I just don't know where to start in planning the travel within Italy. Appreciate any suggestions
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 06:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Best would be to hire a driver. It will run about 400€ for Rome/Sorrento. Is money a factor?
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 06:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Do you already have your air tickets?

If not, can you fly into Naples, train to Rome, train to Florence, then fly home from Florence? Or vice-versa?
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 06:27 PM

I second joannyc's idea if you can still change your tickets. If that is not possible I like kybourbon's idea if that is affordable to you.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Tickets are purchased. How does one hire a driver to go from the Rome airport to Sorrento?
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 07:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
A cheaper alternative to the private car would be a bus from Rome Termini to Sorrento. Don't know what times they run in October but maybe someone can chime in.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 09:27 PM

I think you would take the train from Rome Termini to Napoli Centrale. Then you have two options to get to Sorrento, you can switch to the Circumvesuviana which is a commuter train running between Naples and Sorrento, or you can take a cab or car and driver. If it were me after a long flight I'd opt for the cab or driver. We took a cab from Naples to Sorrento and it cost 100.00 euro.

You can go to the Trenitalia website to find times for the train between Rome and Naples. Take a taxi from the airport in Rome to Termini.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 09:32 PM

GrandmaBeth, I just Googled private car service Rome to Sorrento, and a few options popped up. One called EuroLimo looked good but I have no personal experience with them, perhaps someone else will have a favourite.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 04:16 AM

There are two buses a day (most days) from Rome to Sorrento, both leaving from Rome's Tiburtina station (not Termini). One leaves at 7 AM, and the other leaves at 3 PM. They arrive at 10:45 AM and at 7 PM, respectively. The first bus is probably too early for arriving flights, and the second would require a long wait in Rome if the flight arrives in the morning.

You can see the bus timetables here:

http://www.marozzivt.it/script/bigli...pobigl=marozzi

I hope the link works. I tried to get a multi-lingual page; if you see a page only in Italian, click on "Ricerca orari".

I myself would probably take the train as far as Naples, then get a driver. The train trip isn't arduous.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 09:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Since you will be tired you might not want to fool with the train (14€) from the airport to the Rome train station. You could book a limo service from the Rome airport to the Rome train station. Rome Shuttle Limo charges 45€ for 3 people including luggage. There are plenty of reviews on this board for them. Taxis are a set fee if 48€ (4 people including luggage) so that would be an option too. Bus is about 5€ (runs hourly I think).

http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/...t-transfer.php

Take a fast train from Rome Termini to Naples (70 minutes). Should be around 40€ walk up price.

From Naples, either the local Circumvesuviana (about 4€) or taxi (set fee around 100€). You have to request the set fee from the Naples taxi before departing. Get a receipt.

The Marozzi bus is about 20€. There is only the afternoon bus listed for your date.

For Sorrento/Florence, you could take the local train to Naples (70 minutes - 4€) and then the fast train to Florence (about 3 hours). Also the fast train from Florence to Rome (about 90 minutes - 45€).
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 05:55 PM

Just as a matter of curiosity - are you visiting just Sorrento (in shoulder, not high season) and Florence - but not Rome. Have you already done the latter? By mid Oct Sorrento can be pleasant - or can be chilly and rainy.

If not - I would cut time from both to spend at least 4 days in Rome.