Getting from Rome to Florence to Sorrento and back to Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to fly into Rome and stay there 4 days, then travel to Florence for 1 night and then to Hotel Delfino which is outside of Sorrento. Then back to Rome for one night before coming home. I wished I would have flown into Florence and worked our way south, but it is too late now. Anyway, we plan to travel all by train, cab or bus and I was wondering if I need to purchase tickets ahead of time. Also, does a train go to Sorrento and will we need to get a cab to our Hotel (Delfino).
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like it's too late for suggestions, but most here would suggest you train to Florence immediately on arriving in Rome. Spend two nights there to give you a full day in Florence.

There is a commuter train from Napoli Centrale station to Sorrento. It takes about an hour, and there are about 25 stops. Watch for pickpockets.

http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en

There is bus service between the Sorrento train station and Massa Lubrense, but the Delfino is not near the Massa Lubrense bus stop. I'd just take a cab from the Sorrento train station. I hope you weren't planning to do much exploring from that hotel. It's really isolated.

http://www.sorrentomap.com/trasporti...=en&tr=autobus
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you haven't booked all of your rooms yet, you could train to Florence upon arrival for 1 night (not so sure I would bother with one night), train to Sorrento and end in Rome. Changing hotels often takes up time.

Another option would be Sorrento first, ending in Rome and just do a daytrip to Florence. Florence is only 90 minutes by train from Rome so it would be easy to daytrip.

For Sorrento, if you train, you would need to change trains in Naples. Another option is the bus from Rome to Sorrento. Marozzi has departures at either 7 am or 3 pm from Rome's Tiburtina station (on Sunday only 7 am). Curreri has departures at 2 pm (no bus on Sunday)from Tiburtina. Both cost around 16-17€ one way.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:33 PM

To get to Sorrento by train, you take a "regular" train to Naples then pick up the Circumvesuviana (a commuter light rail train) at the Naples train station to get to Sorrento. Search the Europe forum for "Circumvesuviana" and "Sorrento" - tons of old threads about it. Some people don't like the Circumvesuviana and prefer to skip it because of its reputation as a haven for pickpockets, but I had no problem with it.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:34 PM

To get to Sorrento by train, you take a "regular" train to Naples then pick up the Circumvesuviana (a commuter light rail train) at the Naples train station to get to Sorrento. Search the Europe forum for "Circumvesuviana" and "Sorrento" - tons of old threads about it. Some people don't like the Circumvesuviana and prefer to skip it because of its reputation as a haven for pickpockets, but I had no problem with it.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:34 PM

You don't say when this trip is, but, unless it's around a big Italian holiday week, you don't need to buy your train tickets in advance. It's not possible to buy advance tickets for the commuter train to/from Sorrento.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:41 PM

Just saw Jean's post about Massa Lubrense. Is your hotel in Massa Lubrense? If so, you can still take Curreri as it travels on to Massa Lubrense (20€). If you used the Marozzi, you would have to change to a local bus in Sorrento.

For return to Rome, both bus companies depart very early (5:30-6:00) or late (5 pm - Marozzi).
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:41 PM

Hello Harby, have you made your hotel reservations? If not you might want to think about going to Florence after arriving in Rome, than to the Hotel Delfino and than back to Rome and stay there until it is time to fly home. Just a thought, it would save you having to move to another hotel one more time (the one for your last night in Rome).

I have stayed at the Hotel Delfino for several nights. It is about a mile and half south of MasaLubrense. MasaLubrense is about three or four miles south of Sorrento.

You can take a taxi from the Sorrento train station to the Hotel Delfino. The hotel did have a minivan but we never used it as we had our own car. You could email the hotel and ask if their minivan could pick you up at the Sorrento train station.

Yes, a train does goes to Sorrento. At the Naples train station go downstairs to catch the train to Sorrento. I forget the name of the train as like I said we have always had a car but there are lots of posts here on Fodor's regarding taking the train to Sorrento from the Naples train station.

When you get to the Hotel Delfino if you see a German Shepherd dog, smile. He is a sweet dog! I have a few photos of him. And do request a room with a terrace that overlooks Capri. Enjoy, and you will!
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:46 PM

Well we were all pretty much posting at the same time it appears! The hotel is out of the town of MasaLubrense but it is sure a place where one can relax. And the seawater swimming pool is fantastic.
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really appreciate it. We are leaving the US and will arrive in Rome on June 11th. Does anyone know if that is any kind of Italian Holiday?

Jean said the Hotel Delfino is isolated. Actually we were hoping to do some tours while we are there to Pompeii or wherever. Does anyone have any suggestions?

LoveItaly, I love dogs and will pet the German Shepherd for you!
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:37 PM

You can take the Circumvesuviana back to Pompeii from Sorrento. If you take the Circumvesuviana from Naples to Sorrento, you'll pass the Pompeii Scavi stop on the way to Sorrento. Sounds like you might need a taxi from your hotel back to the Sorrento Circumvesuviana, though.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 09:02 AM

Hi. We're going to Italy next month. We need to get from Sorrento to Florence. It sounds like the train is the best option. I am wary of the Circumvesuviana and switching trains in Naples.

Did I miss any other options for getting to Florence from Sorrento?

Also, we are staying in Sorrento for 4 nights. We would like to visit Pompeii. Does it make sense to make a day trip to it from Sorrento or somehow stop there before heading to Florence. Of course, we'll have luggage so I'm not sure if that's feasible.

Thanks!
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 09:49 AM

How savy are you with train travel? I have used trains extensively so feel very comfortable at train stations. That said, I had no problem at all connecting to/from the Circumvesuviana at the Naples train station. When I was there in Oct 2007 there was (probably still is) some construction but it was easy enough to follow the path from Circumvesuviana to the main trains. Just give yourself enough time to connect. Don't give yourself 20 minutes to connect!!!

The Circumvesuviana is like a city commuter light rail train. I didn't find it scary in the least. All you need to do is keep your wits about you and don't drift off into conversation, ignore your surroundings or get distracted by someone else on the train. Keep an eye on your bags, etc. I'd offer the same advice for any Italian or European commuter train, actually. You can relax a little more on the other Italian trains that don't have frequent stops like the Circumvesuviana does.

The train probably is easiest between Naples and Florence, for sure. Check the Trenitalia website for connections.

I don't recall whether the Pompeii site has luggage lockers or a luggage storage center (I'd guess it does), but I personally wouldn't want to make that part of a long day that includes a train up to Florence. I'm sure if you do, though, you wouldn't be the first. But the Pompeii site is huge and spread out, and you will probably spend hours there if you want to get the most out of it. Others throw in a visit to nearby Herculaneum as well (I didn't). You can get to both sites easily from the Circumvesuviana from Sorrento as a day trip. I think Pompeii Scavi (the site, not the modern town) is maybe 30 minutes from Sorrento each way.

FYI, I stayed in Sorrento also and after my long visit to Pompeii Scavi, I spent the rest of the afternoon exploring Naples, which I really enjoyed once I got away from the Naples train station. Naples is the birthplace of pizza, after all!!! On a future visit to Italy I definitely hope to spend more time in Naples.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 10:08 AM

The Pompeii site does have luggage lockers, but it will be far easier as day trip out of Sorrento. Andrew is correct that it is about 30 minutes from Sorrento. Herculaneum is a little closer to Naples. We did Pompeii as a day trip from Sorrento, and then we did another day trip to Herculaneum and Oplontis.

As of January 2009, there was STILL construction in the Naples trains station as you walk (and walk) to connect with the Circumvesuviana, but the connection is well marked. Granted we rode the Circumvesuviana off season, but we never felt uneasy and or worried. But, we also are experienced train travelers, like Andrew above.

Oh, and it is really worth your time to see the archeological museum in Naples because they have so many of the wonderful pieces of art/architecture from Pompeii.

Assume you have your hotel reservations in Sorrento but if you don't, look at the Hotel Antiche Mura -- really nice and very convenient -- walking distance to the Circumvesuviana station.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 10:30 AM

Thank you! Train it is. We live on the West Coast of the US so we drive everywhere but I have taken the subways in NYC, Boston, and London as well as trains in South Asia. I just like to have an idea of what to expect.

I think we'll do a day trip from Sorrento to Pompeii etc. I don't want to complicate the travel day.

Thanks for the hotel suggestion in Sorrento. We haven't booked hotels yet. This is all coming together ASAP.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 10:59 AM

I have no problem traveling alone on the CV between Naples/Sorrento/Pompeii/Herculaneum. It's just like riding any commuter train/subway.

The Pompeii site (not the train station) used to have info on their website about free luggage storage at the entrance. I can no longer find it on there, but perhaps someone else has a link.
www.pompeiisites.org

There is a combo ticket for Pompeii/Herculaneum if you plan to tour both in the same day.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 10:05 AM

My wife and I are travelling to Rome within 10 days and would like to go straight to Florence. After spending a week there we plan to head to Sorrento and stay at the Excelsior Hotel for about 4 nights. Then we plan tp head back to Rome and spend few days before returning home. Can anyone guide as to the transportation part between the main cities. Pls note that we are not young (around 50 yrs old) and we do have luggage with us. Thanks for your feedback in advance.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 11:36 AM

From FCO, you can either train (Leonardo Express 14€), bus (Sit Bus Shuttle 8€) or taxi (40€)to Rome's Termini station to catch the train to Florence. The train to Florence takes about 90 minutes.

From Florence to Naples by train is a little over three hours. From Naples to Sorrento (local commuter train) takes about 70 minutes.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 02:50 PM

To tag on to kybourbon's post, you could also arrange a driver to meet your train in Naples and take you directly to your hotel in Sorrento. I haven't done this in many years, so I can't tell you an approximate cost but someone else here probably can.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 05:13 PM

Naples taxis are set fees to the coast (like Rome/FCO). Private car services will have similar prices because of this. Click on the PDF on this link that says Visualizza le tariffe (2.24 MB)
http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/.../IDPagina/1193

Page 2 of the PDF will have the rates in English. It says 100€ for Sorrento. The commuter train is 4€.