Rome airport to hotel then on to Amalfi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying to Rome next month.It will be a loooong day and we will no doubt want to go to a hotel and kick back. a little advice here would help. Likeo we take a taxi from the airport to the hotel? or do hotels have pick-up service like in Vegas?I know not ALL hotels privide this service but do some of them?Any suggestions on which hotels? we are on somewhat of a budget of course so taking a taxi might be better for us. After spending a couple of days in Rome we want to head south to Naples/Sorrento/Capri/Positano (Amalfi Coast)... I guess we'll take a train. I guess we should pack light so we're not having to haul a load of luggage around. any suggestions would help.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 04:23 AM

What airport are you flying into? If its Leonardo da Vinci you can take the Leonardo Express into Termini and cab from there to your hotel.

What hotel are you staying at? Some have shuttles, it should state that on the hotel website. likely only the big chains will offer this though (Sheraton etc), if you are staying at a smaller hotel ask them what the cheapest/best option is...some might be able to arrange a car service for you.

As for heading south, you can catch the train to Naples from Termini. Buy your tickets once you arrive in Rome.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

We are flying into Fiumicino.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 05:14 AM

I believe that is Leonardo da Vinci...
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 05:58 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Usually when you book a shuttle through the hotel, it costs more than booking directly with a shuttle company. The train from FCO into the city is 11€ per person and then you would still need to get to your hotle. An official Rome taxi (make sure it's an official Rome taxi and not a Fiumicino or rogue taxi)from the airport to your hotel is 40€ (this is a set fee)for 4 people including luggage. You can book a shuttle for 40€ (depending on how many are traveling with you). www.romeshuttlelimousine.com

If you are staying in Trastevere area you can take the local FM1 train from FCO to Trastevere for 5€.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:22 AM

aaa,

Don't expect ANYTHING
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:23 AM

OOPS, sorry. I was going to say,
Don't expect anything in Italy to be like Las Vegas. And that's a very good thing.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 12:43 PM

I was really surprised to find out that the gondolas in Venice aren't inside like in Vegas, nor do they have those smooth, quiet electric motors. The guy in the striped shirt has to actually paddle the boat and the water isn't clear blue. Italy could learn a few lessons from Vegas to make it a a better all season tourist destination.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 12:45 PM

Also, keep in mind that many flights from the US arrive very early in the morning. Your hotel will let you store your luggage until your room is ready, but chances are very good your room wouldn't be ready until afternoon check in time. If you can't sleep on a plane it makes for a long 1st day.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the advice. We'll probably take the train
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 09:12 AM

Hi,
I stayed at Hotel Julia
http://www.hoteljulia.it

They will prearrange a shuttle for you. It needs to be done by them and a 24 hour notice (if I recall). I just checked their website and it is 15 Euro per person. When you arrive, you will go to the shuttle desk and they will get you on a shuttle. At the time I stayed there, the cost was 12 Euro and the cost of the train was 11 Euro. It was worth the extra euro to get dropped off at the hotel door. I was satisfied with the hotel, but I also don't need a lot of amenities.

You can research trains at the Italian Rail site:
http://trenitalia.com (there's a link for English but it appears to be broken right now, it usually works). This will give you an idea of travel time, train frequency and prices. I have never booked tickets from this site. I usually wait until I get there, then go to the train station one day and book my trips all at once.

Yes, pack light for the train. You will need to get your luggage on the train yourself, all at once. Sometimes onto the rack above your head. You do not want to have to leave some luggage on the platform while you carry the first load up and stow it. You will also want to be able to maneuver easily in a crowded train station and the less you have to wheel or carry, the easier it is. Keep your money secure (I use a neck safe) while on the train - again, if both of your hands are full of luggage, it is very easy for someone to get a hand into your pocket or purse... happened to me once and fortunately I only had a few dollars in my pocket, the rest was secure under my clothing in a necksafe.

Have fun - Rome is a great city to wander around and absorb all of the history.