Search

Rome airport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2017, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome airport

How do you get to Rome Fiumicino terminal 1 from Leonardo da Vinci airport terminal 3? I only have 1.5 hours in between flights.
Old Jun 1st, 2017, 03:39 PM
ekc

It is the same airport.
Old Jun 1st, 2017, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Is it a quick walk between the terminals? Also, is it worth purchasing the fast track security check? We have an hour and a half between flights and I'm just concerned that we don't have enough time to make the next flight.
Old Jun 1st, 2017, 06:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How much is the 'fast track security check'?

Is this a connection on a single ticket or did you buy a separate ticket for the flight from Rome?
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 03:54 AM

Also important, what is the destination of the flight, and on which carrier?

I've made this type of transfer often, and with even less time. There is usually no security check, because you never leave the secure area, but the last time I was there we did have a security check. I don't know whether this was because they were doing work in the terminal, or because they're getting more punctilious.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

I bought a separate ticket for the flight from Rome. I'm flying with Alitalia to Palermo.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

I believe the cost of the fast track is around 5 euros.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 05:00 AM

For €5 I would certainly purchase it. It would cost a lot more to book new flights if you missed the ones you booked due to a security line!
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 05:00 AM

Where is your flight originating (do you need to go through passport control on arrival)?
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

I'm flying from Toronto to Rome but bought a separate ticket to Palermo with Alitalia. So I presume that I will have to go through security again. I'm not sure about passport control.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 06:39 AM

You will definitely need to go through passport control. If you booked two separate tickets you may need to collect your luggage and check-in and go through security again. This could be a very tight connection. It has taken as more than an hour just to wait for our luggage to come through at the Rome airport.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 08:05 AM

It's like pulling teeth to get the relevant info out of people sometimes. LOL But at least you have provided most of it eventually.

I would not book such a connection given the circumstances. Any delay from departure in Toronto to getting through Customs and Immigration in Rome will likely mean you will miss your flight to Palermo.

Who is your flight from Toronto to Rome with? If it is also Alitalia, you can ask them if they will put you on the next flight to Palermo at no charge or if you will need to buy a new ticket. If you are flying with say Air Canada to Rome, they will take no responsibility for you making your connection. Is the ticket you bought from Alitalia a non-refundable, non-cancellable, non-changeable ticket? If so, your money will be gone if you miss the connection.

Really, I don't know why people book a flight and only AFTER they have booked, start asking questions about the connection time. Cart .........horse.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 08:09 AM

Do not check luggage.
At FCO, it is the slow luggage retrieval. I am very happy if I get my luggage in 40 minutes at FCO. I allocate about an hour. For this reason, this kind of uncoordinated connection would be dead on arrival itinerary for me. Even if coordinated, this is tight. I might not get hit by a direct ticketing expense, but I still get hit by uncompensated consequential damages due to having to take a later flight.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 08:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dogeared!

I agree with greg about not checking luggage. You need to be able to start heading to the other terminal as soon as the doors of the plane open.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 01:44 PM

All that I said before presumed that you had a single ticket. I would never had planned a flight on a separate ticket so close to the arriving flight, because if for <b> any </b> reason you miss the connection, you will have to buy a new ticket to Palermo. On a single ticket, the airline has the obligation to get you to your destination at no cost to yourself.

You absolutely should not check any bags, because there's no way you'll make the connection if you have to collect bags and recheck them.

If you have carry-on bags only and if you can check in for the flight to Palermo before leaving home, you should be able to follow the course for transit passengers, which means you probably won't have to go through security and will have a good chance of making the connection. If for some reason you can't check in for the Palermo flight, still follow the itinerary for transit passengers and stop at the first Alitalia desk you see. They should be able to get you checked in, or they may tell you to go directly to the gate.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 02:15 PM

Investigate the cost of changing to a later flight to Palermo. It's often possible & less than you imagine.