Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Rome via Munich on Lufthansa with only 40 minutes between flights

Sep 24th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

I was reading the post about Air France and connections at Paris airport with very short layover times causing most to miss their connection. We are flying from Chicago to Rome(FCO)via Munich on Lufthansa. After reading these posts I am concerned about missing our connection to Rome. Is the Munich airport going to be as bad as in the airport in Paris? Does anyone have any experience with changing planes in Munich? Any ideas if we will be running from one terminal to another? We have never flown Lufthansa so I am not sure how they operate. Any suggestions short of changing our tickets because they are non-changeable, etc.
Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Sep 24th, 2007, 07:24 PM

There are 2 recent posts on this on the Airlines board titled:
Changing planes in ZRH & MUC
and
Europe board titled:
35 minute connection time at MUC?

Hope those responses already answer your question.
Sep 24th, 2007, 07:54 PM

MUC is very well laid out airport. I wish I can use MUC for all my connections.

You can find out yourself which terminal your flights are likely to use. Go to MUC airport site:
http://www.munich-airport.de/EN/index.html

Monitor your equivalent flight few hours before actual arrival/departure. You can get idea of which terminals your flight is LIKELY to use. I think T2 is where more flights end up.

In the future, use this site to locate home pages of other airports:
http://www.worldairportguide.com/
Sep 24th, 2007, 08:05 PM

You should be concerned, although you should be arriving and departing for Rome out of the same Terminal, Terminal 2 (if you are going into FCO, although some FCO flights leave from Terminal 1, but all trans-Atlantic arrivals into MUC are into Terminal 2) in which case you will be transferring terminals, and Munich can be confusing-they did not have my connecting flight for whatever reason on the board the last time I went through there a year ago-I nearly missed it, because I had no idea where and from what gate the flight was departing. I had to get someone to call around and find the correct gate, then hop on one of the transport vehicles in order to get to the gate on time, something I'd never experienced before at an airport-no information on the departure flight or gate!

I would try and get the flight changed, as it is risky to take a connecting European flight coming in from an international flight from the US with that short a connection time-even if you arrive at the gate on time, which is a big if, (MUC has a lot of delayed trans-Atlantic flights, particularly out of JFK it seems) you will have to wait to get off the plane, then you will have to go through passport control, and then perhaps to change terminals-my guess is you would not make it. I wouldn't chance it.
Sep 24th, 2007, 08:11 PM

If your flight from Chicago to Rome is booked on one ticket with Lufthansa, even if you miss your original connection, Lufthansa is responsible for getting you to Rome. And there are many daily flights from MUC to FCO.

Sep 25th, 2007, 12:35 AM

Indeed, LH will take responsibility in booking you on the next flight if your incoming flight is seriously delayed. There are 7 non-stop flights between MUC and FCO daily, about every 2 hours, so you won't wait long. It usually takes me about 20 min, gate to gate, connecting from a longhaul to intra-European flight in MUC (all LH flights use the same dedicated terminal 2, which is just one long building with no satellites). You go through passport control (very quick) and security (10 min max).