Search

Rome airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome airport?

I've read that the Rome airport is an infuriating place, especially for departure. We'll be flying back to the States from there (on US Airways) in mid-July. Do people have any suggestions for these elderly, non-frequent flyers to help ease our way? Thank you.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 04:35 AM

We are senior citizens and have been all over the world. We didn't find going in/out of Rome Airport to be any more or less intimidating than any other airport.

Just how old are you and what are your major concerns? If you have mobility issues, you can arrange for a wheel assistance. If you are just concerned with the usual routine matters of checking in, getting your boarding passes, clearing security and immigration then that's no different in Rome then it is when leaving any other foreign country. You pretty much "just follow the crowds".
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 05:00 AM

Poss,

I concur with RoamsAround. Do you have a specific question or concern? Otherwise, the advice you'll get will be generic, such as "arrive early."

I would suggest knowing what terminal your flight is leaving from ahead of time, as apposed to "I'll find out when I get there." But that would apply to any airport, so already I'm probably being too generic to help.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your prompt response. No special mobility issues, just that one of us is in 80's and doesn't have quite the ability to dash through airports that we once had. I have read repeatedly (on cruise websites) that the Rome airport is an especially difficult one, so I was concerned. If I'm remembering correctly, the main problem spoken about seemed to be something about constant gate changes with unusual difficulty getting notice of same.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 07:50 AM

The airport is definitely a dump, but I don't think it should be that problematic. If you are flying US Airways, you will have to depart from T5, which involves a bus to get to your gate. Is this what you are concerned about.

As for the gate changes, As with most European airports, IIRC FCO announces the gate assignments relatively close to departure time, so be aware.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 08:21 AM

Up until recently,all US bound flights used Terminal 3 at FCO which always had horrible backups in security. Now you go to terminal 5 which is huge(think warehouse practically) for all US bound flights. There is massive space with ATM's a couple places to grab a snack,etc.
After checking in with our airline you will go through security there which is quite fast compared to the old terminal and then show your passport before getting on a shuttle bus back to terminal 3.
Terminal 3 -after getting off the shuttle bus you go up the escalators to the main floor where you will get off practically in front of the dutyfree shops.Terminal 3 is more of a "clustered" type gate situation for each of the airlines. There are shops,snack bars along with the dutyfree shop.

Remember that if you need a snack you pay for it first and then get in the line to receive your beverage or snack!
The airline that I fly for usually leaves out of the same gate every week.It really isn't a bad departure situation.Good luck!
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the replies. I think the main thing I'm concerned about is those last-minute gate changes. I've heard about that, and just hope that we'll hear things clearly and that there won't be too much hauling around from here to there.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 09:35 AM

You run the risk of a gate change in any airport. That's why it's important to keep alert, check the "departure monitors" carefully and often and, lastly, to give yourself plenty of time to negotiate the airport. When in doubt don't be affraid to ask the ticket/gate agent or other airline ground personnel for assistance.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 10:19 PM

From what I remember from my recent trips to FCO, it's a pain to get to/from the airport to Rome itself. One has to remember that the ADA doesn't exist in Europe, so expect steps and more steps.

If you are traveling out of Italy, Bologna has, surprisingly, many flights a day and isn't as painful as Rome.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 05:10 AM

>>>>From what I remember from my recent trips to FCO, it's a pain to get to/from the airport to Rome itself. One has to remember that the ADA doesn't exist in Europe, so expect steps and more steps<<<

In what way is is a pain? I honestly don't know what your'e talking about. There's a convenient shuttle train direct from Termini Station to FCO, and a multitude of taxis and car services to choose from. No idea what "ADA" is, but there are escalators throughout the FCO complex to transport you between levels and the moving walkway variety as well. FCO is not the best airport in Europe, but it's not that bad, especially on the departure side. The arrivals baggage handling is the only major problem I'm aware of having been in and out of FCO over 30 times.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 08:39 AM

Departure out of the Rome airport is easier than most other airports.
There isn't a real need for Bologna to the USA flights these days so Rome will have to do?
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 11:29 AM

Re: last minute gate changes just befriend someone else waiting for your flight and ask them alert you if they hear of any changes.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 04:47 PM

We flew U S Airways out of Rome to come home. We had to go to T5. T5 was kind of unorganized - I remember it as wondering just where the heck they wanted us to go. First one place and then another and no one seemed to know anything. But we got our bags checked in and on the plane so it was okay.