Rome Accomadations B&B

Search

Rome Accomadations B&B

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Accomadations B&B

Will be spending two nights in Rome with my daughter - May 19th and 20th. Would like to find a nice, moderately priced B&B convenient to the train station and also where we can easily get to the Coloseum and perhaps a few other places. And in a safe area!!! Would appreciate any advice.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 06:23 AM

The area near the train station is not exactly the safest nor most charming area of Rome. We stayed at the Residenza San Panteleo, a simple small hotel in the nicest part of the city, near the Campo di Fiore.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. I just read the reviews and looks like it is just what we are looking for.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Ok - no vacancies at the Residenza San Pantaleo - however they are offerening and apartment located in Pié di Marmo, near Piazza Venezia and Pantheon. Would anyone know anything about this area??? It is 120 euros/night.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:13 AM

I go to Rome often and need to be near the train station. Hotel Centro is very convenient. 10 min walk maybe. It's across from the Opera House in a quiet area.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:30 AM

via del Pie di Marmo--nice area, very central. I can't picture the actual street (it's pretty small, if I'm remembering correctly, with a giant foot).

I hope someone with a better memory for Rome will answer. I do believe it's a very good location, however.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Hi, I did a quick Google search and came up with this link. You may find it interesting.
http://tinyurl.com/2nxv97
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the site - the "tip" says that one of the best chocolate shops in Rome is located across from the "bigfoot" - now that is certainly a plus! The Pantheon and the Colosseum are within walking distance. If anyone knows the area better please let me know!
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 03:05 PM

If it's near the Pantheon, it's in the old part of the city (as is the Campo di Fiore), which is a very nice area to be in.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 03:17 PM

you want to stay near the center, either the pantheon or the spanish steps, campo de fiore, piazza navona or trevi fountain. if you stay near termini station you will feel like you are in crackville, and if you stay near the vatican, its real quiet there, its really safe too, but its too much like heaven. you want the center. but its all relatively a close walk, just a great atmosphere if you are sleeping in the center in my opinion.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 03:24 PM

Via del Pie di Marmo is a great area - 3 short blocks to the Pantheon.

BTW, the neighborhoods of the Colosseum or the train station are not so good (the
ONLY posative is proximity to the Colosseum or to the train station - neither neighborhood is charming).
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 03:41 PM

If when people say "near termini" they mean you look out your window and there it is, then no its not a good place to stay or that area a bit SW of the tracks where there aren't many hotels anyway. You can go a few hundred meters down via Cavour or Viminale or Nazionale and there are some nice areas and you're still within easy walking distance.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 04:15 PM

I keep recommending this B&B that 5 of us (3 women, one married couple -- he is a trooper!) stayed at in 2005 (and my friends stayed there last fall). It is no undiscovered secret, so may be full:
www.nicolasinn.com

The Nicolas Inn is near the Forum on busy Via Cavour (good soundproof windows, but not a quiet street!).

We three ladies pulled our small wheeled suitcases down Via Cavour from the train station; quite a few long blocks but we were tired of sitting after a long train ride. A taxi would be more convenient.

It is a great, small, friendly place. The owners are super -- Melissa is American and Francois is French, Lebanese & Italian. They don't live on site but are available 24 hours/day by the phone at the front desk.

It is on the third floor of an old building. The strangest thing is that you need 3 keys to get in! We loved the contemporary clean decor, the nice bathrooms, plenty of closet/desk space, and generous continental breakfast.

The owners can help you with everything from museum information to restaurant recommendations.

As for safe, the first evening walking down the street I wondered about the location. We couldn't see any sign of our hotel.

Then this handsome man said Buena Serra, Nicolas Inn? and there we were.

We were fine with the location and loved the little trattoria next door which became home. We walked after dinner the first night down the street to the lit up Forum and felt fine. It had been some time since any of us had been in Rome, and seeing the Forum glowing, with birds flying in the night sky and lovers smooching under the trees -- we were so happy to be back in Rome!
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

It sounds as though the area of the Pie di marmo is going to work out well. I've looked at maps and many other trip advisors and the area seems like it will allow us to see many things. My NEXT dilemma is getting from Termini to this area. Can anyone tell me what bus to take to get to here?
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 04:48 PM

I'm not generally a taxi-taker, but this instance seems like a good time to do so. You could take a bus like the #64 pickpocketer special, as it is known, and get pretty close, but would you really want to take your luggage on a crowded bus from Termini to central Rome?