Search

Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Ron

Rome

We are thinking about going to Rome. Can anybody give any good hotel suggestions? Something centrally located to the sights and rooms that are not the size of prison cells like in London.<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 01:43 AM
Teresa

I can highly recommend you the Albergo del Senato. It's a wonderful hotel right in front of the Pantheon, in the Piazza dela Rotonda. Ideally located and lovely.Can't think of a better place to stay when I go to Rome again.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 05:14 AM
Kris

I second Teresa's vote for the Albergo del Senato. You can not possibly be disappointed with this hotel or the location. Look at their website www.albergodelsenato.com.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 05:31 AM
jack

Look at rick steves rome or italy book and stay near the terminni train station.They are within walking distance and inexpensive.I have the names at home and if you contact me Ill give them to you next week.enjoy rome its delightful.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 06:10 AM
Caroline

We just came back from 2 weeks in Italy and we loved the Ambasciatori Palace Hotel on Via Veneto. It was a beautiful 5 star hotel and in an excellent location. The rooms were huge. We were in walking distance to everything, but the Vatican and were very close to the Barberini Metro stop.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Rex

This is a very difficult question to answer without a price range. I agree with del Senato - - and Cesari as a good comparable choice.<BR><BR>Both are in the &quot;mid&quot; price range, which I would define as roughly 160 to 260 euro for a double per night.<BR><BR>You would, of course, get different answers if you are inclined to spend more, or if you need to be below the &quot;mid&quot; range.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Carol

Friends recommended the Colonna Palace to us and we were quite happy there. The room was quite large as was the bathroom. And the room was quite comfortable. The location is within short walking distances to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, etc. <BR><BR>If you have any questions, just write me.<BR>

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Peggy

Am going to Rome during a visit to Italy in March. Planning to spend 2 or 3 nights there. Am searching hard to find a decent Hotel, Has anyone ever stayed at either the Hotel Miami or the Santa Maria in Trastevere? or have any other suggestions $125 - $180 range?

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 11:47 AM
m

We stayed at the Hotel Miami in 1999 and it was wonderful! The location was good...on a main street, but not noisy...it was not right in the heart of the tourist stuff, but even with 2 small children we walked to everything and never needed transportation. The staff was very warm and helpful. Our room was surprisingly large...very nice...the bathroom was huge too. We would most definitely stay there again!

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 11:56 AM
mary jane

Santa Maria in Trastevere has very small rooms but a large garden where you can sit outside.Central to all Trastevere and quiet. Problem is when it rains,,, when you leave your room you need an umbrella. In the same price range I'd prefer the palazzo of my friend Lia on via dei Coronari,she has renovated her family palazzo into an elegant small residence with 6 large rooms, elegant decor, excellent baths and terraces overlooking the rooftops of this central area near Pza. Navona. Other favorite hotels (I've been here 36 years and write for Fodors) are listed on my site www.elegantetruria.com . Mary Jane

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 03:08 PM
up

topping for Ron<BR>

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 12:51 AM
lu

Lirico Hotel - via del viminale- was great--tel 39 (0) 6 48906230central location 3 minutes walk from central station AND quiet , terrific breakfast, 24 hour reception --around around 105euros pn double--www.hotelirico.it--we, a family of five took 2 rooms (very flowery wallpaper) and were more than happy with it

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Ron

These are all great ideas. Does the summer get very hot?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 04:28 PM
loislane17

Ron, it can be incredibly hot in Rome in the summer. <BR>I would also forget about staying near the Termini if this is your first time in Rome. It's not the nicest area, and walking distances are long to most sites except the Lateran areas. I've stayed there and loved it, but you should have a closer spot for your first trip.<BR>Choose a hotel either in Steves or in the excellent Margo Classe book-Hello Italy, Budget Hotels. She has a website http://www.helloeurope.com You can also check Cheap Sleeps as well. <BR>I love staying at the Albergo Abruzzi-it's a bit loud, being right on the Pza. della Rotonda across from the Pantheon, but you can't beat the view and everything is very close. Good sized rooms, but not many with bath, so call now!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:57 AM
Larissa

It is centrally located (we walked everywhere) and a nice hotel with helpful staff. We didn't notice any noise from the square when the balcony doors were closed. Request a room on the top floor with a balcony looking out on the square with a marvelous view of the Pantheon. It's unforgettable!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Larissa

The above post refers to Albergo del Senato hotel.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Goner

You really should look into a bed and breakfast. If you look hard you can find a nice one

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Sandy

Doner, I too wanted non-hotel accomodations, but I had trouble locating a B&amp;B. I found many after hours on the web, and emails to various establishments, but as a first time Rome traveler, I worry about what it will be like (vs. what the web pictures show). I have sayed in B&amp;B's in Ireland (all very nice) and private homes in Croatia (nice families), but the big city is more intimidating. Any pointers on choosing a B&amp;B in Rome? Sandy