Romantic Restaurants in Rome

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Romantic Restaurants in Rome

Dear All,

2 weeks from now I am going to go to Rome with my girlfriend. She will not know until we go nest to the airport so it will be a big suprise
When in Rome I am going to ask her to be my wife... I am looking for a small real italian type of restaurant to crown the night with. I am not looking for the most expensive restaurant, but I am thinking of a real romantic one. I have booked our hotel around the parliamnet so Iwould be greatful if you could recommend something in the area or close to a subway.
Thanks,
Tamás
Ps. That is of course if she says yes. If not we will go to Mc Donalds
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:30 PM

Two restaurants in Trastevere come to mind because they are both cozy and have fireplaces: Da Paris and La Tana di Noantri. Camponeschi is one of the most romantic restaurants in Rome but it is very expensive and I like it better in summer when you can sit out in the Piazza Farnese. Also in Trastevere are Da Lucia and a bit more expensive, Alberto Ciarla.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Hi Tamas,

Unfortunately, I don't remember the names of the restaurants we ate at on our honeymoon in Rome last summer. However, I wanted to wish you the best of luck! Be sure to let us know how it all turns out

Also, the Trevi Fountain and the Coloseum/Forum areas are beautifully illuminated at night if you want to take a romantic night walk.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 05:25 PM

I always vote for Vecchia Roma as a not too expensive but quite romantic restaurant in Rome.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 11:06 PM

We enjoyed Il Baccaro in the heart of Rome on Via dei Spagnoli, near the Pantheon. It is small, intimate, nicely decorated, creative food and excellent service.

Another nice stop (but not necessarily romantic) is the Enoteca Antica near the Spanish Steps. Excellent wine selection and good service if you go in the mid afternoon. It gets very busy later though.

Congratulations!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the trip.
The only think that worries me is how to pack all her favourite clothes,shoes etc without making her aware that we are not only going for a weekend break?
It is good to be a Fodor reader.
Tamás
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 04:57 PM

Good evening, Tamas
The most memorable, romantic ristorante in Rome for use was the roof top ristorante atop of the Forum
Hotel, overlooking the Roman Forum, that was many years ago and over many trips to the eternal city..
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:15 PM

May I make a suggestion?
The surprise idea is lovely and generous, but do let her know how long she will be away for. Not only may she have some personal business to account for, but she may (or may not) care very much about what she brings with her. With weather a bit iffy in February and March, she may want choices in clothing, shoes, and rain gear. And to your already generous and romantic gesture, allow her to buy herself (or buy for your future home) something special in Rome, it doesn't have to be diamonds, just something special.

Best wishes
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:39 PM

Al Tritone on the VIA DEI MARONITI is my Favorite and close enough to walk to the Trivi Fountain for gelati after dinner.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 01:45 AM

Hi Tamas, congratulations! As to the romantic restaurant I'd definitely agree on Il bacaro, very intimate with few tables and creative cuisine. Forget the Forum and via dei maroniti as well as the others in Trastevere which are all very touristic. Camponeschi is fabolous but expensive too. The location is great (Piazza Farnese) and the owner and his staff very attentive.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. If anyone else had some good experiences, please let me know.
Thanks again.
Tamás
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 09:51 AM

My vote is for Siccilianbocca in The Prati district - cozy, warm and remote. Congrats!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:34 PM

Bacaro is a good choice. (near piazza navona). I really enjoy the trastevere area which a few people have mentioned. yes, tourists go there but it remains an authentic looking Roman "village" and is charming at night, especially if you eat LATE there. Someone mentioned Da Lucia. It is a good restaurant in Trastevere, not expensive, but not necessarily "romantic". It is more of a typical trattoria. I think Bacaro fits "romance" better. Also many of the roof top hotel restaurants are romantic but are probably not open until the warmer season. It can still be quite cold in late Feb/early March and a winter coat is advised. Don't forget comfortable walking shoes are essential. She'll of course want nicer shoes for nicer restaurants at night, but in the day shoes that very comfortable for walking a lot are necessary.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 04:37 PM

How do you let her know she might want to pack special clothes -- without telling her your surprise?

Simple: Tell her that you and she are invited to a dinner with your beautiful former girlfriend.

More seriously, though:

Congratulations and best wishes, from someone who finally married last year (after 28 years together): Marriage DOES make a difference!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:44 PM

tedgale, you have us beat: we married 5 years ago, after 15 years together. Like you, it's working well for us.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi Tedgale,
that is a good idea and sure I will not have to spend a lot on the dinner
We are leaving in 2 days so I am really excited and I hope that it will not rain for 5 days in Rome so we can sit at an outside cafe at least for a coffee.
Thanks for your help it is highly appreciated.
Tamás
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 05:48 PM

My two suggestions would be Antico Arco or Al Bric. You will need a cab to get to Antico Arco, but it's very romantic and has wonderful food. Al Bric is south of Campo de Fiori and has a spectacular wine list and a warm, wonderful atmosphere.