Search

Copthorne Tara

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copthorne Tara

I'm planning a trip to London next June and I might stay at the Copthorne Tara Hotel, can anyone give me some information about this hotel, or some advice for an hotel in this category?
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 04:42 PM

This hotel comes up a lot on Priceline, check biddingfortravel.com for reviews. You may also consider bidding for the hotel as it seems to come up the most often in the Kensington zone.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 04:44 PM

I know that the Copthorne hotels are a chain, but I don't know if they are the same all over the place. I was once put up in a Copthorne hotel near CDG airport by United Airlines, and all I can tell you was that the listed price of the room was about $375.00 a night and it was about the most charmless place I've ever stayed. I mean, it was well-appointed, the room was large, it had all amenities, but it was basically an overpriced business hotel. I might as well have been in Sioux Falls. Don't get me wrong - United Airlines did ok for me and I got to spend another night in Paris - but if Copthorne hotels are like that the world over, it's certainly not a place I would ever choose to stay in, especially at those prices.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Any other advice?
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:25 PM

We leave on Sunday for a 7 night stay at the Copthorne Tara - we got it for $82/night on Priceline.

I haven't stayed at the hotel before, but I really like the area. We normally stay just down the street - on Allen Street. It's very close to the High Street Kensington and there are a lot of nice shops in the area.

I'll post back once we return and let you know what I thought about the hotel. From what I've seen and read, I'm kind of expecting a 3* type room (even though Priceline rates the hotel at 4*) but the rooms have a mini fridge in them (nice for keeping a few beverages and snacks) and look nice enough. But we aren't expecting luxury. And for the price we're paying we can't really complain.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 10:31 PM

I am also thinking of booking this hotel for a 3 night stay in July.
Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Donna
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 08:42 AM

I stayed there a week once. I never figured out how it received a 4-star rating. I thought it just an average hotel that was less overall than a Courtyard by Marriott. The front desk, however, is staffed and many services are available.

The location is hard to beat. Tube station is on the High Street, the #9 bus is right at hand near the Wrights Lane turn. Taxis congregate there it seems. Better yet, for an average walker, the big museums are not very far away along Cromwell Road, and Hyde Park is very close.

Old Feb 12th, 2005, 12:46 PM

I have to weigh in on the negative side as well, although you could surely do worse.

We were there in May 2004 -- got a good price at an internet site. Rack rate is 225-250 pounds a night but I doubt anyone pays that. All we saw were airline crews and obvious tour groups.

No breakfast included although there was a nice little place in the neighborhood where you could get a scrambled eggs breakfast for 7.50 pounds.

Small room, adequate but only that. We were "upgraded" to a deluxe room which meant that we were on the top floor. This also meant that we didn't hear noise from the tubes; the tracks are right in back of the hotel. A room lower down might be very noisy.

The location was convenient -- a short walk from the Kensington High station.

Old Feb 12th, 2005, 03:35 PM

Yep, I had forgotten about the tube becaus our room was in the front. I was there with a group and I remember others saying that the first train in the morning got them up with no need for an alarm clock.

My wife just reminded me that our room was small and very plain and very ordinary. If that hotel is a 4 star, then some of the tramps' shacks we have stayed in should rate at least 2 stars and our backpacking tent gets at least a half!!

Let's put it this way: This year we are booked at the Kensington Close, which is within sight of the Tara, and the Hotel Troy, which is a little one north of Hyde Park.

Last year, we stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Cromwell Road. Opinion:
Not going there again intentionally.
It beats a bench in Hyde Park!

My favorite 4 places in Europe, for those who ask about those things:
Astoria in Munich (small, personal).
Carlton Opera in Vienna
Brick House B and B near Chepstow Wales.
(Great place in the country on a farm.)
Aiglon in Paris. (Superior room. Still small but large bath.)
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 05:56 PM

No breakfast and the tube right outside your window (on the lower floors). Oh yeah, I would stay there.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 07:36 PM

hi jfgm78,

The copthorne tara is one of the millenium hotels.

They have 3 or in London. All in are in good condition and in great locations. if you got this for $82 a night you got a great deal.

It is a 3-4 star business hotel, which means that business uses it a lot because it has conference rooms for trainings and seminars.

The nice thing though, as a result of that business tag, it has a lot of amenities that are not standard in other hotels in london. like the fridge etc.

You will have a wonderful time and it is a great location. If you have any problem with the room, talk to the staff and they are great about it. let them know at check in if possible.

I have stayed at the m. baileys and the m. gloucester, and enjoyed them immensely. I know there are some charming london owned boutique hotels but I never seem to luck up on them. I have seen some real dogs.

I like being able to count on the quality of the millenium hotels. they are always well run/clean/roomy and the staff are used to travelers/tourists and are very nice.

enjoy!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 05:52 PM

Just returned from our 7-night stay at the Copthorne Tara. We got the hotel for $82/night on Priceline and we had no complaints about the hotel at all.

It doesn't look like much from the outside, but the inside is much nicer. The public areas are all very nice. They have a few restaurants (we didn't eat there, though), a gift shop, a concierge, doorman and there was a brochure in the room for spa services at the nearby Kensington Close Hotel. There are also 2 pc's in the lobby you can use to connect to the internet (£1 for 11 minutes.)

We e-mailed a week before arrival and requested a twin, non-smoking room on an upper floor and our room was on the 9th floor (a non-smoking floor) - facing the tube tracks, but we didn't hear the trains at all. And the view was very nice - could see Royal Albert Hall, London Eye...

Our room (standard twin) looked like it had recently been refurbished - they were very clean, nicely furnished and very comfortable. The beds had white duvets and pillows were reasonably comfortable for hotel pillows. The beds were very comfortable. There is a mini-fridge, hair dryer, iron/ironing board, tea kettle in the room.

There is also a shortcut to the tube station - there's a walkway between the Boots and Pret a Manger in the tube station that leads back to the Copthorne Tara and the Kensington Close hotels.

I would definitely stay there again. We didn't have any complaints about the hotel at all. I have a few pics of our room if anyone is interested - just e-mail me.