Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive lodging in SanFran - are these places too sketchy??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've posted before about our planned trip to San Francisco, and we've decided to stay near the baseball stadium and rent a car early the next morning (for anyone keeping track ).

We're only going to be in San Francisco for 1 night. We need a clean, safe, not trashy place to stay that first night. Expedia lists these hotels as being near the stadium, and some of them seem very cheap...I've had a bad experience trusting Expedia's ratings before so I wanted to see if I could get any Fodors feedback...

What do you know about these hotels?

Edwardian San Francisco Hotel at 1668 Market St

Adante Hotel at 610 Geary St

Halcyon Hotel at 649 Jones Street

The Mosser at 54 4th St

The Pickwick Hotel at 85 5th St

The Powell Hotel at 28 Cyril Magnin St

Like I said, I'm a little nervous about booking them without some advice, just because it's hard to trust Expedia's ratings and reviews...
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 10:28 AM

None of those places are anywhere near the stadium. YOu will have to take the BART to get there.

That said, I found a nice place to stay recently that I loved. The hotel is new and interesting owned by a retired baseball player, and since I have no knowledge of baseball, I did not recognize his name. The hotel is the Adante Hotel 3 blocks from Union Square. Convenient to everything. They have a muffin/cereal/coffe/tea/juice breakfast and there is a cute internet cafe attached to the hotel, with great sandwiches. There are several nice restaurtants in the immediate area, one across the street that was very good asian. Close to shopping.

I found it on www.hotels.com and I think you can even get a suite in the hotel very inexensively.

Hope this helps, try www.hotels.com for pricing and discount coupons for other attractions in the area, including shopping coupons.

Have a GREAT time.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Hi TravelingMom. I have 2 suggestions. If you haven't done so already, check out each of these hotels on Tripadvisor.com to see what other travelers say. Also, I don't know when you're traveling, but the Carlton Hotel is having a Travelzoo special for stays before the end of March. I believe that rooms are $79 on Fridays and $69 every other night. Although not near the stadium, it certainly is cheap and, safe, I am told. Hope this may help.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

I have been reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. It's looking like Mosser might not be too great, but Adante looks like it might have potential. I'm going to check around for prices still...
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 09:01 PM

You can get a really nice hotel (3 0r 4 *) cheap on Priceline. Check www.biddingfortravel.com before bidding on Priceline.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Please take Halcyon off your list. The first few blocks of Jones st - I wouldn't stay there!

Off your list only Pickwick sounds familiar - I wait for a bus at the stop by the hotel's entrance, it's between Market st (1/2 block from cable car turn around) and Yerba Buena gardens, at daytime this area is OK, at night - not sure, never been there at night, but I'd stay there.

Adante on Geary - not sure which block on Geary, if Union Square area it may be fine.

And I agree, none of them are in the stadium area, but taking metro line N (along Market St and turn to the stadium) should be safe at night too, I went there alone.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 12:47 PM
SAB

Travelingmom, BART does not go to SBC park, the N Judah on Muni does and it is always crowded with fans after a game and therefore very safe. There is no need to stay right by the park and I don't actually think there is a decent hotel within a block or 2.