Romania for the weekend.

Search

Romania for the weekend.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Romania for the weekend.

I had JUST started to become interested in Romania and had received the Rough Guide for my birthday. Sometimes it takes years from this point to actually arriving there.
But, the BA offer for Air Miles (50% reduction ) means that we have enough miles to go next Summer and from Manchester which a big bonus. It needs to be booked this week and so we are considering it.
Could we do two or three nights in Brasov by train from Bucharest with the first night in Bucharest itself-the flight arrives at 6 ish? Are hotels in Romania likely to insist on a minimum stay in Summer?
I've read that trains are reliable and so we're quite ready to try this.
Is there anywhere accessible from Brasov for the day by public transport?
Any drawbacks I haven't thought about?
Thank you
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 05:37 AM

The trains are good and from Bucharest to Brasov probably will take 2 - 2 1/2 hours; there are many trains daily.
Do you intend to stay in Brasov or in Poiana Brasov? Poiana is 13 km from Brasov (by bus or by taxi), on the mountains.
From your hotel there you can take a taxi, or a day tour or just walk in the mountains.
I do not think that you will have problem to find a hotel for 2 -3 nights.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 06:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
did Tim Burford edit this version of RG?

Trains ok but it is easier to buy tickets on the internet than in situ. Hotels for short stays, sure just make sure you book
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Yes Tim Burford and Norm Longley- why? You've got to tell me now!
We're looking at the Casa Wagner in Brasov.Haven't thought of a hotel in Bucharest yet.
Could we get to Brasov by train after arriving at Otopeni at about 6.30? The Romanian train website doesn't want to play today.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 07:08 AM

Frances...I've used the same RG....Burford, Longley, with some stuff from Tom Brown. Their city maps within are very handy..good one for Brashov, especially.

We liked the Casa Wagner in Sighishoara...don't know about the one in Brashov. I would suggest you rent a car at the airport which is on the main highway #1 to Sinaia (Pelesh Palace)and Brashov..decent road, well signed...that way, you would have a car to see more of the Brashov area (Sighishoara, and perhaps Sibiu), and drive back to the airport for departure. You won't have to go into Bucharesht at all, unless you wanted to...having been there several times, even during the regime, I think it's worth seeing..but time is a factor with this proposed trip for you.

stu t.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 07:26 AM

Try the bahn.de site.

There are a couple of trains around 8-ish, getting around 11. You might find it easier to get a taxi from the airport to Ploiesti, which is to Bucharest as Watford Junction is to Euston. It's quicker than going to the Gara Nord in central Bucharest and doesn't have feral children determined to get your purse.
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Well I've now managed to book the flights using the BA offer. We've had confirmation of availability from Casa Wagner and just waiting to hear from Bella Musica. My husband has now decided he would rather hire a car- which is fine but it's what I suggested this morning!
The flight arrives two hours earlier than I thought so I don't see a problem getting to brashov the same day.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 05:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When I first used it Tim was the only editor and I went to school and University with him. Hence i wanted to see if had a proper job yet
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 12:21 PM

Since you will be driving you might prefer to stay in Sinaia for your first night. Visit the Peles Castle and then drive to Brasov. From Brasov you could visit Rasnov, Bran, Prejmer, Harman. They would all take a half a day, so see what you prefer to visit.
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 03:17 PM

I would second the advice to stop at Sinaia on the way north. The only issue is days that the sites are open. I believe Peles is closed on Monday. Bran Castle is also closed one day per week, but I am not sure which day it is.

In October we took a bus from Brasov (buses leave from the train station) to Sinaia and a train from Sinaia to Bucharest. Sinaia is fairly small and easy to get around. The buses in Brasov are easy to use and relatively inexpensive. There is a tour information site outside the train station in Brasov that sold us a map and gave us great directions. It was very easy going that way. Don't know about the reverse.

I have used RG for many trips and find them excellent resources. I agree that the maps are very helpful.

Don't know how much time you have, but we also spent a weekend visiting the painted monasteries near Gura Humorolui and Sucevita. These are very much worth the time.