Ideas on Greece, summer 09?

Old Nov 27th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas on Greece, summer 09?

Well, in our ongoing, changing summer trip we got a great deal on airfare and hotel in Athens, so we have decided to spend 9 days in Greece. 4 days of it will be in Athens. This is after we will have spent 7 days in Bavaria.

With the understanding that it will be hot (we are from Florida though, so not that much different) we have decided to not do the islands, but instead to spend 5 days driving around the mainland, somewhere. West or North of Athens, not both. We have 5 full days, as day 6 is driving back to Athens for afternoon flight to Paris.

What we like to do is find a centralized place, usually rural and then "star out" from there, each day driving somewhere different. The options I am finding are mind boggling, so I decided to come back to my dear friends here.

So, dear fellow Fodorites, where should we go and what should we see?
We are both history, art and culture nuts. We are not big on fancy resorts or hotels. Should we go north or west? Have you got a favorite town you have stayed in?

Thanks in advance,

dave
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 02:03 PM

hi Dave

For me it would be Nafplio in the Argolid. About 3 hours driving time from Athens.

A beautiful town crowned by an enormous fortress high above it.

From Nafplio you can easily have great leisurly driving trips to Epidauris, Mycenae, Delphi and many other beautiful historical places.

http://www.greekhotel.com/mainland/nafplio/home.htm

joe

Old Nov 28th, 2008, 12:29 AM

I have to agree, Nafplion is around a 2 and a half hour drive from Athens and within reach of many fantastic sites.

http://www.worldisround.com/articles...index_all.html

North western Greece, to my mind is more suitable for a fly/drive than a based holiday. We spent a week exploring Delphi, Meteora and Zagoria this year but needed 3 hotels and a reasonable amount of driving between.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 10:39 AM

I agree that Nafplio sounds like the best bet for you. You can visit many interesting places from there - historical sites, countryside and even an island or two (Poros is a good option).
Alternatively, you could consider Galaxidi, a small coastal place on the mainland which is popular with the boat crowd. It is very beautiful and from there you can visit Delphi and the area around there.
Nafplio is bigger, a beautiful Venetian style town. A very good base, especially if you are interested in history.
Galaxidi is smaller and has more of a village feel to it.
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Nafplio or somewhere in that area may be a winner. I checked out Galaxidi and it was really interesting too. Do you have any idea on the cost of the ferry and can it carry a car?

Thanks, dave