Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

help getting to the airport FROM Cinque Terre

Old Oct 9th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving from Riomaggorie -- heading by train to Genoa airport-- can someone tell me -- do I connect in La Spezia and take the high speed train to Genova Piazza Pri????? TIA!!! Anyone use Trainline.eu?
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 01:50 PM

No high-speed trains on that route but some ES and IC trains about a half-hour faster but regional trains will be about as quick and just a few euros and you need not book in advance - no seat reservations even possible -flat fare buy ticket at station - less hassles and about as quick and no dealing with booking in advance - check www.bahn.de/en for easy to read quick schedules.

The ES (high-speed on high-speed lines which there are none of to Genoa) demands seat reservations as do the IC trains on that route I believe and booking can cut costs but nowhere near as cheap as regional trains.

For lots on trains - www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

if booking faster trains just do so on www.trenitalia.com - see www.seat61.com for lots on that.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 01:55 PM

The regional trains a very frequently delayed and run late. Don't take them.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 02:03 PM

When you arrive at the train station in Gonova, you need to take either a taxi or the airport shuttle bus (Volabus) to get to the airport. If taking the bus, give yourself an hour to get to the airport from the time your train is scheduled to arrive at Genova PP.. If taking a taxi, allow 30 minutes. You need to be at the airport at least 90 minutes before departure.

You should use the Trenitalia website to look for train schedules for both La Spezia>Genova PP and also Riomaggiore>Genova PP and see which schedule suits you better.

I can't remember how much a taxi from Genova PP to the airport costs. I seem to recall the Volabus is less than 10e per ticket.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 02:06 PM

In case my first post wasn't clear. don't take a regional train all the way to Genovs. Other trains on the line get a priority on the tracks and the regional trains are the slowest and can be delayed as much 25 to 40 minutes.

Since you must take a regional train to get out of Riomaggiore to connect to a faster train, it is often a good idea to take an earlier train rather than risk a tight connection when you need to change to the faster train.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 02:11 PM

To be superclear; If you need to connect with a faster train at 10am at another station, and the schedule shows that if you leave Riomaggiore at 9.40 you can make the connection with a 7 minute layover, take an earlier train leaving Riomaggiore with a longer layover to reduce the chance of missing the connection. Try to get a 20 minute layover or more.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 02:17 PM

If have plenty of time and just want to buy a ticket that day not in advance and want to save some money - take the regional trains which are not as dicey as massimop makes out probably and you have to take regional trains out of Riomaggiore so face the same problem of them being late and then perhaps missing your fast train connection in La Spezia - you'd have to build in so much extra time may as well take them to Geona.

And as ES and IC trains run only every two hours on that route to Genoa a regional train to Genoa -changing once - may even be more convenient and of course build some time in for it to be late.

Personally I'd look into an airport shuttle from Riomaggiore that picks up at your hotel and drops you at the terminal - lot less hassle and quicker.