Rollerblading in Europe?

Search

Rollerblading in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rollerblading in Europe?

A few years ago in Paris (I was staying at a hotel right across from Deux Magots) I woke up at midnight to a strange sound. I looked out the window and saw a surreal image: what seemed like thousands of rollerbladers whizzing by! They seemed to be having such a great time. What a blast!

Ever since then I've wanted to return to Paris and do it. I went back home to California and bought me some blades. I finally feel proficient enough to participate in that midnight Paris run without killing myself. Does anyone know if they still do that there, or has the enthusiasm faded?

Also, does anyone know any good places/trails to rollerblade in Eurpe (actually ANYWHERE in the world)? I figure if I ever end up lugging my blades there, it would be fun to try different trails. Flat is a good thing, but I can actually handle some inclines as that's how the trail in my home turf is. It took me all summer to work up to blading the whole trail. I finally got some very good tips from a FRENCH skiier who I met on the trail~ he helped me conquer it!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 04:38 PM

SloPugs, in September 1999, my then-girlfriend & I were drinking wine on the Pont des Arts on a Friday night, our first night in Paris, when we saw the same amazing sight, a huge pack of rollerbladers whizzing by on the road on the left back of the Seine.

There was also a recent article in the New York Times about the 38 rollerblading cops in Paris that you may find of interest: "A Thin Blue Line Where Peugeots Roam."

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 06:42 PM

yes, they still do it on Friday nights except bad weather, they leave from the plaza behind the Montparnasse tower at 10 pm. They even have a webpage with complete rules, description, a chat forum and you can sign up for newsletters. That would actually be a good place to ask these questions, although it would be in French
www.pari-roller.com
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much all! The web site was great. I speak a little French, but much easier to use this translator: http://world.altavista.com/ You can either type in words or phrases, or you can input a whole web address for translation. I guess there are some other venues for roller blading, and some better for beginners. Good info. to know!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 10:53 PM

The Netherlands is a great place for inline skating (beware of cobblestones though) and is also extremely popular in Switzerland believe it or not (mostly in the valleys of course)-all those bike paths around any lake (Lucerne, Interlaken, Lausanne etc.).
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 10:57 PM

We have something similar in Zurich. Every second monday is monday-night-skate night. At around 8pm, tens of thousands start their 2-3 hour skate all through the city with cars and trams all giving them way. Local supermarkets also support it and there's usually some fruit and drink given out.

I think there is something similar in Basel.

The valleys around are also fun and popular to skate through and so are around some lakes.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Awesome! I would've never thought of Switzerland or the Netherlands! PLEASE keep the suggestions coming! You are all so awesome; I love this forum! Maybe I'll be able to formulate a complete rollerblading vacation/tour.....
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Hhmmm.....anymore suggestions for Europe? I was hoping for more..... I will be in Italy and Greece (possibly France)within the next year. Any trails there?