Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Want boyfriend to love Paris as I do! (Kind of long)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 03:25 PM
brafit

After years of enduring my expounding on the wonders of France/Paris my boyfriend can finally take 10 days of vacation and wants us to go there. I want him to love it as I do. Problem: while he's interested in history and culture, I just know that there is a chance he'll get tired of an endless rounds of churches, museums, etc. I want this 10 days to be romantic (of course ) but interesting and fun in a light-hearted way (he's not a demonstrative romantic). Although he'll want to play big spender I know he would really love it if everything could be done on the cheap so I'd appreciate your suggestions for romantic, fun, affordable, "cultural" accomodation, dining, sites, etc. If there are any men who can possibly identify with my boyfriend and have made the trip successfully I'd love to hear what you liked, disliked, what moved you to propose (hee hee) etc. I know it's a kind of tall order but I'd really appreciate your advice.

Thanks!

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to tell us as much about him as possible. What does he normally like to read/watch as a film/do as a sport/spend his free time? You want him to discover the French version of himself/yourselves.

The comment about 'endless round of museums' sounds like you need to mix in some purely fun stuff. Do a search for the experiences of others with Paris Segway Tours featuring the latest people-mover scooter. Not particularly cheap, but a great time, according to those users.

Then there's Disneyland Paris - yeah, I know, but who's to say he wouldn't enjoy comparing and contrasting the European version with its North American partner.

Or get out of Paris for a day or so and bike in some quiet village. Too slow? Maybe rent a sports car for a day and do something similar.

Cheap but fun - flying a kite.

Not sure where you'd find it, but a place to try petanque - French version of lawn bowling.

If he's a Doors/Jim Morrison (or an Isadora Duncan) fan, a visit to the Pere Lachaise cemetery (interesting place in and of itself - and a cheap excursion.)

Good luck.

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 04:02 PM

Pétanque (boules) in Paris? At the Luxembourg Gardens, the arena, and around Les Halles. There's a big tournament during the summer, sometimes in the Tuileries Gardens.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 04:05 PM

Do a text search for: 100 Great things to do in paris.

That is a wonderful thread that has many fun and romantic things to do. Many of them cost little or nothing at all.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 04:15 PM
brafit

Sue_xx_yy:
Where to begin....he's the kind of guys' guy who could easily be mistaken for a dumb jock, until the topic switches to history or economics and he can rant with the best of them. He'll turn his nose up at the idea of being your typical tourist, but would spend hours researching the stories behind various attractions and could easily substitute for a tour guide as he has an incredible memory. He hasn't travelled much and was utterly unimpressed with the idea of visiting Europe (except for their football/soccer) until he visited me in Spain when I was studying in Granada a year ago. Now he's passing up going to Championsworld football/soccer games here in the US to visit Europe with me this summer(I am duly honoured). He's not really a reader, unless he can clearly see practical applications in reality but watches almost any kind of movie ever made - except musicals (I torment him with My Fair Lady!) How on earth do you ensure that such a mass of contradictions enjoys Paris? Disneyland is out of the question-neither of us has visited the American one, nor do we want to. And petanque would not be appealing...not exactly a sport in his eyes. We'll most likely walk or take the metro/buses as neither of us wants to drive anywhere. As for discovering our French selves, I teach college French so I found mine a long time ago. He took 3 years of it in college and is actually quite good when he tries but would like me to believe that he's too 'gruff' to make a real go of it. Testosterone! Did this help or did I just bore/sicken the &%!@ out of you with my obvious adulation? Thanks for your help anyway!

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 04:22 PM

Paris really does sell itself. It's the je ne sais quoi, whole ambiance thing that appeals to most. Now wouldn't it be funny if you turn out to be the "girlfriend" in another thread where some mother is asking for the most romantic spot for her son to propose?!

If you know he hates museum stuff, then I just wouldn't take him to one every morning and every afternoon! But I hardly find the Louvre, Orsay, Cluny et al to be your run-of-the-mill idea of a museum either.

With 10 days you could take a little side trip somewhere--less expensive than Paris and would give him a different side of things.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 04:47 PM
brafit

klondike:
Now why would you toy with a gal's emotions like that? And whose mother does their research for them anyway? I agree that the Louvre rates a visit regardless of your interests (will decide later on the others) and after reading the post on 100 great things to do in Paris I am now near tears with nostalgia (thanks a MILLION CafeBatavia - no really!!) and have decided to attempt to do everything on the list! Some I've done before without him but the majority will be wonderful experiences to share (with and without kissing!). He's not too big on schedules anyway so maybe an unstructured trip will be just the thing. Add a quick run up to the Stade de France (he'll get a kick out of that) and I think we'll have more than enough to do. Now I'll just do some hunting around for decent accomodations...and we're off! Thanks again.

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 05:38 PM

barfit,
I think we might be dating brothers. I hope you post how it goes.

I made a misstake. My boyfriends first Europe vacation was London. Not quite different enough to entice him, but I really want to take him to Paris.

Do you have dates for this trip? That might help.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 05:40 PM

I actually proposed one evening on Tower Bridge in London, but a while later we were in Paris, walking along the Seine at sunset and I would have done it there if I had not already.

If he is into history, you are there long enough to do a trip outside of Paris . . think about Normandy and the D-Day sites. Versallies is a day trip that offers a lot of historical interest. The Eiffel Tower is a guy thing as is the Crazy Horse Saloon. . albiet for different reasons!

Best of luck . . Rich
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Hmmn, I would have tried petanque had I but had the time the last trip out, more for the fun of meeting the people who play and the chance to converse with them than for the game itself.

My husband grew up in Montreal - a long time ago now, and I still discover new things about him. But then again, he takes himself pretty lightly, which probably explains it.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 06:28 PM
brafit

Thanks for the good wishes Rich. Tower Bridge huh? I must say, the Seine at sunset would be hard to beat but as long as you got your answer I hope I didn't give the impression that I'm trying to set the poor man up to propose (I ain't nowhere near ready), we've just been dating for 8 years and haven't done something completely new and fun in a long time so where better to spice it up than Paris! I figured the ideal time would have been mid to late May but he's a banker and can't run away until late July/August (yuck). And since flights are beyond ridiculously expensive just from preliminary investigations, I might have to go with a flight/hotel package deal and take whatever dates we get around then.
CarolA, I've been planning our Paris getaway in my head for so long you'd think I would have had it all worked out but I didn't think we'd ever actually get around to it. Make the time as soon as you can. Maybe we should meet there just to make sure it's two different guys! (okay, so that's not really funny). Anyway, if this really does happen I'll definitely post the details.

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 07:02 PM

I dont't know what your boyfriend would love about Paris-but one thing I have learned,(it might be too late for you though) is that over-talking a place, building it up so much, will often times give the person too great an expectation and they end up being disappointed.
So my advice would be to stop talking about how wonderful it is and get him to reading and planning with you, let him choose things that he would like to do.
The Yankee and I have spent so many days and weeks in Paris-wandering aimlessly along the streets, you don't have to be in churches every day or museums, the city itself is enough.

How lovely if at this moment, he is thinking about where and how to propose to you once you two get to Paris
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 05:12 AM

1)I would consider an apartment - it forces more interaction with others and lends itself to a more "authentic" experience as opposed to being pampered by a fully English speaking staff at a fancy hotel. After a week, you BF will be on a 1st name basis w/ the beerman/wineguy/cheeseman/breadman/coffeeman/fruitman, etc.
2) go out to a SMALL clus) at night and enjoy whatever kind of music appeals to him the most. The Marias is a great area for this. Get a copy Timeout Paris at your local book store for ideas.
3) dining suggestion: LE CAMELEON In Montparnasse, a charming bistrot rated as one of the top 20 casual restaurants in the world. Dinner for the 2 of you with app./entre/dessert/water/wine/coffee/etc. will be less that $75 total. Only about 8 tables, so reserve. A fun, laid back, relaxing, wonderful place with the BEST food.
LE CAMELEON - 6 rue de Chevreuse - 6ème arrdt. - Métro : Vavin - Tel : + 33 (0)1 43 20 63 43

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:05 AM
ira

Hi brafit,

>maybe an unstructured trip will be just the thing.<

Not totally unstructured. In 10 days you can see the best of all of the districts plus visit Versailles or Giverny or Chartres.

Look up "degas AND walks" for some thoughts on walking tours.

The Hotel Bonaparte is a nice, well located 2* for about 115E/nite including breakfast.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:36 AM

Hi brafit,

Maybe he would enjoy the Musee de l'Armee in the Invalides. My husband, also interested in history, loved it. Actually, I did, too!

The displays of uniforms and weapons, etc. are amazing, and range from medieval times through WWs I and II. I know that sounds dull dull dull, but it really wasn't to us..

There are lots of scenes set us, such as Napoleon's camp during some battle, and complete with his horse, stuffed. That sounds crazy, but that's what I remember!

Napoleon is entombed there, too (in the Invalides complex, not the museum).

I'll bet he would enjoy going there!

Byrd

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:51 AM

I too had raved and raved about Paris before our trip and was worried because my boyfriend did not seem the least bit excited...he said he didn't know what to expect, so he couldn't get excited about it. He ended up loving Paris and France! He is not at all a museum-goer: he is a techy and football fan and didn't speak a word of French. He really enjoyed taking charge of finding our way around, using the metro and the map. He loved going up to the top of the towers of Notre Dame, the catacombs, the Tour Eiffel, and the boat ride on the Seine. He also loved all the historic ruins and chateaux. He did end up loving the Louvre, much to my surprise. He went crazy taking pictures of everything he liked. And he did end up proposing , although it was in the south of France, not in Paris. And now HE talks about "when we go back to Paris", so I consider the trip a complete success! Have a great trip!
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:59 AM

As a Francophile, and a guy, I understand your reservations. French bashing is a favorite sport in the USA right now...and it is primarily a macho thing. For sure, take him to the Normandy beaches and the war memorials. Avoid the frilly restaurants with postage-stamp size tables. There are a number of steak houses in Paris; try the Relais de L'Entrecote spots. If he pines for a good hamburger, try Cafe Castiglione on St. Honore. Be flexible and give him options. Good luck! JP
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 08:12 AM
BAK

A couple of ideas.

Saving money; go to some of the best restaurants at lunch time,instead of dinner.

Or, have picnic lunches, by visiting some grocery stores and heading for a park when you get hungry. You can buy gourmet quality takeout, and have the enjoyment of a park, forthe same price as mid-level restaurant food.

Day planning; Head to some interesting place on the Metro, and then walk back to the hotel all day long.

Movie planning: if you rent a few movies about paris, it gives you a focus of what to go look at that is pop-cultural, in addition to being perhaps Capital C Culture. American in paris and that Kevin Kline / Meg Ryan movie, and lots in between.

Does he have little kids as friends? Have him find a few souvenirs that meet the interests of American children. That will give him focus, while still allowing lots of flexibility, and forcehim pleasantly to look at tthings from a different set of eyes.

BAK
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 08:19 AM

Hi,
A couple of suggestions. COnsider doing some guided tours. I did a couple of Parsi Walks' and found them to be entertaining and interesting...sometimes it's nice to have someone lead you around instead of following a guide book.
There are tours of the sewers ("egouts&quot and the Catacombs. A guy kind of thing. I think that anyone would also enjoy St Chapelle's stained glass windows. The Arenes de Lutece is a roman arena located on the Left Bank and is a neat place to go for a picnic.
Mixing in wandering with a museum would help minimize the chances of "museum overload". The Orsay Museum is interesting just for its building.

Perhaps a day trip to the Loire to see a chateau or two?

I have also read about Friday night organized rollerblading through the streets of Paris. And I have watched people playing petanques and pick-up soccer in the parks on the Seine side of Invalides.

And of course, wandering along the banks (up top) and bridges of the Seine or a bateau mouche at night is not too hard to take.

Enjoy,
Mike
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 11:11 AM

This sounds a bit like my husband. His first experience with France/Paris (ok, they really only went to Paris) was a trip with some buddies they took when they were all in grad school (one was fluent in German, otherwise, no foreign languages). He had most of the negative stereotypes of the French in his mind and had memories of crowds and being confused.

I had one trip to France and Paris with my mom under my belt. It was a delightful trip, the people were friendly, we had a great time.

Our first trip together was 10 days or so in Paris and the Loire Valley. He loved it! We've made several trips back since then. What was the difference? I think mostly a little more organization in terms of we knew some things we wanted to see (medium structure - we develop a shorter must-see list and longer list of other possibilities, then decide each day what we wanted to do). And, for him, the fact that I could speak some French, so the communications were easier.

You don't want to inundate your boyfriend with information (unless he'd want to be), but if he's interested in history, etc., then hand him maybe one or two high-quality guidebooks (maybe the Michelin green guide for Paris, except I think the book is organized in such a bizarre way). He can flip through it and read whatever interests him. I'd suggest other books about Paris or Paris history, but if he's not a reader, they probably wouldn't interest him.

I haven't taken any guide-led walking tours, but have really enjoyed tours from the book "ParisWalks." There's history and other interesting facts, along with routes in areas of Paris that you might not otherwise get to.

Have a great time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -